Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of the G2.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
How many of you are seriously going to buy one??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I don't think I will buy one right now. I think I will wait and see if maybe the Contender frames will come down in price and get a couple of them. I don't see any advantage for me in a G-2. Ed's Contender's has the G-2 for $280 and Midway has them for $248 (I think) and you have to pay someone to transfer to you. I could get another good quality barrel for that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be up for a new gun here real soon and was thinking about taking the plunge to an Encore.
Will the G-2 handle the pressure of a .308 win?

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely going to get one! I just don't know how soon it will be. I may just wait till the mad rush is over & the price stablizes a bit.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KTS1:
I'm going to be up for a new gun here real soon and was thinking about taking the plunge to an Encore.

I doubt it as TC added the "turn buckles" (Headstamp named em [Big Grin] ) in order that the frame would better handle the existing cartridges available in the contender. I have been considering the encore also, after putting several rounds through RJ's OTT full bull 41mag its got me thinkin again! [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya thats kinda what I gathered from conversations here an there. I think I'll just keep my exsisting 3 frames in 'Old Contender' and buy an Encore for the high pressure rounds.
If a G-2 comes around the shop at a give away price I'll pick it up so I can say I have one but really I don't need it.

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Umm, the "Turn Buckles" are a copyrighted name but seein' as I knowd ya Mike, I'll let ya us'em.

Uh, that's one Marlin boy to another. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headstamp:
Umm, the "Turn Buckles" are a copyrighted name but seein' as I knowd ya Mike, I'll let ya us'em.

Uh, that's one Marlin boy to another. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] Ownin a triple 4 does have its advantages! LOL! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't forsee myself owning a G2.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
NOPE, not me, I am going to keep the Contenders I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got one. Looks and functions very well. I prefer the cleaner look of the sides of the G2 to the Bobcat and scrollwork on the last Contender that I had. The trigger is better than I had anticipated, given that it is not adjustable like the older models. The beefier sides look like they should help reduce the effect of high pressure rounds, but I don't recall TC stating that additional strength was one of the advantages of the updated model. Perhaps they don't want to encourage shooters to load heavier than they had with the old model.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KTS1:

While the G2 may, or may not handle .308 pressure, it would be grossly negligent, maybe criminally so for any gunsmith to chamber, or re-chamber such a barrel, as it would fit a std contender frame, and certainly disasemble it in short order. The G2 is for handling the same class of cartridges as the old contender, but with a higher margin of safety when running the various 444 based rounds.

If you want to run .308 based rounds, and hense pressure, the encore is the frame you need.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote