New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light and compact
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for the lightest, most compact specialty pistol i can get, without compromising much in performance to say 3 or 400 yds. for a backpack Colo. Rocky Mtn. goat hunt this year. I'm thinking of a Competitor in 6.5-284 maybe with a 14-16" barrel, 4X Leupy, or maybe Nikon. Any ideas???

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SSCoyote I have always wondered if a Luppy scout scope would work on SS hand rifles? I realize the 23/4 power would be less than the 4x but the intermediate eye relief might work for quicker target acquisition.Just wondering.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Contender with 14" 6.5JDJ is what you should be looking for!
OR
An Encore in 7-08 or such.

Not much time to put this all together and get it shot-in and fully ready to go!

All of the proceeding is just a WAG on my part of course.

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OH yes I forgot to add the caliber choice sounds like a good one to me. The gun if it suits you then go for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very light and resonably compact

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet looking pistol how much do you think it cost to build. I have been looking at the XP-100's for a long time.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve has this post, and one just like it on the specialty pistol forum. Looks like Steve will be using a factory 300 WSM Striker for the hunt.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thks. all for the input. Yeah-- i've just decided to go for the factory Savage in whatever WSM they send me. 300 yds. should not be a problem with that rig for such a big target, so i'll live with a slightly bulkier handgun.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote