New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? "POLL" ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok you guys got me in to this so ya might as well help here too. On the 1" OD barrel mbm is doing for me I have a couple of questions and want, need some input. These questions are probably really not needed as I have been informed that all the "misses" were removed from this barrel [Razz] [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin] Besides it is getting kind of "slow" around here.

1 Thread the screw holes for the forearm or
dovetails?

2 This is kind of a no brainer but will ask any
way. Should the screw spacing for the forearm
be set for the 15" or the rifle spacing or
both? I guess they are different?

Oh and yes I am going to use a spacer bar between the screw holes to go to one screw on the forearm.
If yes or no to the above, "why" ?

Where are you Don Shearer? I know you have some thoughts and ideas on this.......
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
If your going to install a spacer bar or hanger bar for the forend, unless your going to have a special bar made or install a spacer at each screw then you'll need the dovetails to keep the bar from touching the barrel.

The screw spacing shouldn't really matter unless you only have one length hanger bar. I always have mine done for the super 14 "Short screw spacing" cause I have more of the short hanger bars on hand. You can get either hanger bar from VVCG or Bullberry. There cheap and an easy way to float the forend.
There are other ways that's just as good but this is quick and easy.
You will need the groove in the forend for the hanger bar though.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I think Jules is pretty much on track here. The only thing I would add is the need to have a hangar bar mounted so it can slip at one end. And with a 1 inch diameter barrel, that may not matter as much.

I make my own hangar bars and I drill be rear hole to be the same diameter as the screw that holds it to the dovetail. But the front hole is different. Since the barrel will heat up when you shoot several in a short time, it will expand a little bit (lengthwise), but the hangar bar won't. So after you drill the front mounting hole, take a small round file and make it egg-shaped in the lengthwise direction and that will give it a chance to let the barrel expand without putting stress on the barrel. In the extreem, such stress will bend the barrel and lead to vertical stringing. When you fasten the hangar bar to the dovetail mounts, tie down the rear end solid. But on the front one, make it just tight enough so it can slip a small amount as the barrel expands.

Some will say the amount of expansion won't make that much difference, but I think it does lead to vertical strings. I've done mine with the egg shaped hole for several years now and don't ever have vertical string anymore.

Don Shearer

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with the above mentioned as far as the hanger bar and the thoughts in the slot in the bar.

But, I myself don't like the dove tails in the barrel, and the little whatzit that has the threads in it.

I had though, maybe use a stud, threaded on both ends. This would have a shoulder on it to hold the hanger bar away from the barrel and to let the hanger rest on. Loctite the stud in the barrel, but not bottomed out. Then use a nut to hold the hanger bar on that side.
Or am I making this more difficult than is needed, I have been known to do this more than once.
With all the misses taken out of this barrel I just don't want to put any back in it LOL.

Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Actually I like your idea of threading into the barrel rather than to fit it with a dovetail and then thread into the dovetail. In fact doing that would circumvent a real possibility. It is quite possible to pull the dovetail out of its slot in the barrel - just from recoil. I have never done that, but have heard of some that have. In fact Bellm offered a service at one time to mill out an oversize dovetail cut in the barrel that could be fit with oversize replacement "whatzises".

Then by taking care that your hanger bar is not touching the barrel and that one end is mounted solid and the other so as to allow a small bit of slip, you should have it well taken care of, and will have a solid mount for the forepiece.

Don Shearer

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok Jeff,

Weighed your bbl at the Post office today, didn't ship it though. It weighs 3 lbs and 9/10'ths of an ounce. Thought about shipping it but then not. Jules wouldn't be happy then.

LOL, [Big Grin]

Posts: 127 | Location: Dover, NH, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Rich, what did you say the Encore you had weighed with Denzel grips?
Jeff