New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a pistol question, but it is an Encore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Currently I only have 2 barrels for my Encore, a 209x50 and my T/C custom shop .250 Savage barrel. My custom shop barrel is in the heavy taper configuration 16 1/4" long. Now I need to replace my .223 rifle, so I am thinking about another Encore barrel. Anyway, my question revolves around the length I should get. I really like the feel and looks of my .250 barrel so am thinking about going that route again, but the again I think maybe I should go to 20".
What would you do? The main reason I ordered my other barrel 16 1/4" is so that I could shoot it as a handgun if I wanted to but it was still rifle legal. I also know a lot of people are real happy with their 16" .223 Contenders. Also, the velocity loss really doesn't concern me because I really don't have the opporunity for really long shots (beyond 250 or so) anyway. So What do you think? Thanks, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Well.....if you are not worried about the velocity loss and can get the barrel in a full bull or a heavy taper, i would go the 16.25" route. It really makes a nice size rifle and the 223 will still perform well in that length.

Just my $.02 [Razz]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
I agree, stick with the 15-16.25 length. If I was going to go longer than that I would go all the way to 26" and get a nice single shot rifle. I say that just because that's where my interests lie--I see an Encore rifle in my future strictly for target shooting. But if you want a 20" barrel, well then go for it. It's your call. We can make all sorts of arguments to go either way. Slim