New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bit on the 21" 225 AI, any advice...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just couldn't pass that one up, great price. Now I'm wondering if I could get away with off the shelf dies for loading, any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 59 | Location: Deadwood, S.D., USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pinkerton

I can't answer your die question but, in case you haven't seen it, there is a smokin' deal on 225 brass in the classifieds!

Good luck!

Mark

OOOPPPS....spoke too soon, it's all sold.

[ 07-10-2002, 04:24: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, That was a deal at 20 bucks a 100. But I think you'll like the caliber Pink. [Wink]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pink, See if the 226JDJ dies will work. If not Redding will make whatever you need.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass>>>http://www.scharch.com/new-brass.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links Jules, what I was thinking for dies was seating and neck and maybe a push at the shoulder with 22-250 and sizing the body with a 30-30 die body, but I'm not sure that would work but it's a thought.

Posts: 59 | Location: Deadwood, S.D., USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are pretty well stuck with getting custom dies for this one. Sorry, but other than the .226 JDJ, there is little out there that comes close.

.22x.30/30 Imp. comes close, but usually sizes too small at the web. The .225 cases are a tad larger at the web than .30/30s. But if your chamber is on the tight side of tolerances, and your .22x30/30 Imp. dies are on the large side, which Redding often is, then you might get away with it.

Whatever you size with, you must have the same shoulder angle and correct body diameter. This is not to say that you might not be able to cobble something up, but it is unlikely.

If you use something like .226 JDJ dies, you may have to shorten the size die body in order to reach the shoulder and bump it back as required..... unless you keep the loads on the low side.

Let me know what you come up with from Redding. I need to have a run of .22 Bellm dies made, as well as 6mm Bellm. There is a close enough cross over in dimensions to work for both your chamber and mine. If Redding has the dies, this will help me out.

For example, I have a 24" TC Custom Shop barrel rechambered for .22 Bellm, but I don't have dies for it. Once the dies issue is resolved, the barrel will be for sale unless TR still wants it. He has first dibs on it still.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote