New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore Pistol In 7.62x39?
 Login/Join

<DMC3>
posted
Anyone have one of these? I'am thinking about this one for my first E pistol.Cheap to shoot and reload!Need ideas on barrel length and cal. selection for a "fun" range gun(pistol) and maybe when deer season comes around once again.Was also thinking about a 454 but a guy at the local gun shop said that they are not much fun after a few were thrown down range... 7.62x39 Recoil less than the 454?Less pressure I think?Will a 12" barrel work or is 14" better...Just looking for some ideas as I have not shot an Encore pistol as of yet!...Looking forward to some enjoyable range time!

one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMC3:
Anyone have one of these? I'am thinking about this one for my first E pistol.Cheap to shoot and reload!Need ideas on barrel length and cal. selection for a "fun" range gun(pistol) and maybe when deer season comes around once again.Was also thinking about a 454 but a guy at the local gun shop said that they are not much fun after a few were thrown down range... 7.62x39 Recoil less than the 454?Less pressure I think?Will a 12" barrel work or is 14" better...Just looking for some ideas as I have not shot an Encore pistol as of yet!...Looking forward to some enjoyable range time!

DMC3,

Greetings! If you get one of these made and have surplus ammo in mind, be sure to specify the use of a .311 bore barrel in advance, as many will make you a 7.62x39 using a .308 bore diameter barrel, and foreign ammo for the 7.62x39 is all .310 or .311 diameter.

Also, I'd consider going with 14-16" as a minimum barrel length, in order to enjoy the ballistic efficiency of the cartridge.

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
DMC3, No comparison regarding the recoil....from what I have been told. I was considering the purchase of a 454 and called the TC Custom Shop to discuss. I asked them how would it compare to my 15" factory .308 with heavy bullets? Their reply was as follows: "I'll put it this way we shoot every barrel that goes out of here. When it comes to the 454 Cs we draw straws and the looser has to shoot it!"
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote