New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP 100 shooters
 Login/Join

<Peter>
posted
How do you guys hold the damn thing steady for all these wonderful sub 1" groups that you shoot?
I have one in 7mmBR and I can see my heart beat through the scope!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I use a tri-pod front rest that has a sized bag that will fit the fore-end of the stock I am using. The rear bag is also a sandbag. I set it up so that The bags/rest is doing all the work. I use the rear bag to control elevation. Make sure my paralax adjustment (if the scope has an adjustable objective), breath control is correct and keep my eyes focused on the crosshair. You will be able to feel if the XP comes off the bags the same way or differently. That can be for a couple of reasons. One. you are gripping it differently it can make a difference and secondly, if the XP sets in the bags differntly it will recoil differntly. Whatever method you use or have at your disposal the key is consistency. Even the way you set-up at the bench so as to be in a comfortable position that is unstrained will make a difference. Stock center-grip XP's are light in weight and that is part of the challenge. Hope this helps.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
XPHunter. I am interested in discussing this further with you, medium of your choice. The problem is the pistol grip. I have the original "plastic" stock. The grip really needs a pocket of some kind to give it lateral support. I find myself having to grip it fairly tightly in order to keep the crosshairs "on target". I can adjust my front rifle rest laterally so that It can provide some lateral support for the forend, but the big problem for me is the rear support, that and the fact that I have to keep a tight grip on the gun to keep it on target, and to press the trigger.
Thanks, peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Feel free to discuss it here on the forum as there is a number of experienced shooters using XP's, or you can e-mail me or call me at my office (620) 662-3923.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
peter, You have one of the most fun guns ever made!!! An XP in 7BR!!! I prefer a Bushnell Holosight over a scope for them!!! Have killed groundhogs to a measured 376 yards using the 7BR and a holosight! Pistol scopes can be a bit hard to get used too!!! The holosight(if you have decent eyesight) is the cat's meow as far as "optics" for a handgun go!! Try one and you'll never go back!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter, I understand your frustration with the XP. I have a "R" (that GHD likes so well [Razz] ) model and it was a bit of a challenge to get used to. I use a Harris bipod out front and a sandbag under the grip. This makes a fairly steady rest and i have shot some decent groups with it. The biggest thing that i noticed was grip, as long as i am consistent, so are my groups.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have converted most of my XP's to rear grip, I am playing with a modified XPR stock now, I removed all of the foam put a 3/4in alum channel from the front to the rear of the mag well then filled it with Epoxy. I widend the front with 9ply model plywood and set the bottom of the stock up where I have either a ball (in the pic) for MKIV and fireball rest is recoiling returnto battery, or a flat plate for bench rest top for large caibers. I molded a bottom to the grip for it to rest on my rest and do my elevation with the rest seems to work well. This is a proto type, and when perfected hope to have a custom madePICS

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote