New
Find
Notify
Tools

444 or 445 sm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
445 sm or 444 in 14" tube.What do you think.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a Contender a .444 Marlin loaded at factory load level is pushing the limits of the gun and many consider it dangerous. Few custom shops will even chamber it as such. I would think the .445 SM a much better chambering for a Contender.
In an Encore the .444 would be an excellent choice and alot more available loading data and brass.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Are there any cartridges that fill in the gap between 445sm and 444. What velocities can be expected from each? dancing
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been pondering the same thing myself, thinking I need a big boomer.

According to the Data from Sierra Bullets in the Complete Reloading Manual for the T/C Contender, a .445 Super Mag (Super 14) will push a 300gr. Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity to a MAX Velocity of 1850 FPS. The .445 Super Mag uses 34.8grs. of powder to achieve this.

According to the Data at the Hodgdon Web Site in their Handgun Section the .444 Marlin will push a 300gr. Swift Hollow Point to a MAX Velocity of 1964 FPS. The .444 Marlin uses 42.5grs. of powder to achieve 114 more FPS.

I am still undecided as to which one I would choose, but am thinking it will eventually be the .445 Super Mag.

My use would be for Black Bear and maybe Elk someday.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Handloading for a 444 rifle, I can tell you that 44 Rem Mag data, produces the same MV in a 444 case ( on rifles at least) .. as predicted in the 44 Rem Mag rifle..

Loading with powders such as 4759, or 2400 or 4756, a 444 can be loaded to 1700 to 1800 fps, with 300 grain XTPs and offer a lot less recoil than the traditional rifle powders listed..

I just take 44 Rem Mag data and work it up in my 444.. it would be my pick for a Encore..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote