THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "handgun" by you way of thinkin?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
This the one that you are looking for Mike?? [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Amen Mike, both Mikes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a "CLASSIC" LOL. Ya gotta laugh [Big Grin] [Wink]

As for this Tommy, you never new my ex, [Big Grin] LOL

Enjoy life and don't take yourself too serious. No one is right all the time.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
jsh thank God you didn't know my ex. Thank him every day.

<MePlat>
posted
Hello Handgun Police. I hope I don't do anything wrong if I shoot my singleshot 454 today.
Do I have permission to do so?
I wouldn't want to offend anyone by shooting it out in the open so I will hide like a criminal whilst I fire away with it so as not to bring any shame to you great guys who are the Handgun Police.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MePlat:
Hello Handgun Police. I hope I don't do anything wrong if I shoot my singleshot 454 today.
Do I have permission to do so?
I wouldn't want to offend anyone by shooting it out in the open so I will hide like a criminal whilst I fire away with it so as not to bring any shame to you great guys who are the Handgun Police.

Okay, Just be careful not to put your eye out! [Cool]

Oh by the way, those people with long white coats and the big net. . . . . . they are not handgun police. [Eek!]

Really, we should quit " spankin the pony " on this subject, people are gonna talk. [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said mbk...I especially like that crack about the guys in the long white coats...seems to me that I've seen 'em before a time or two!

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
Well it is Saturday the 24th. I haven't shot my handgun, er no, rifle, er no, Ristol, Pifle or whatever. I hope the HANDGUN POLICE are happy that I haven't spoiled their day.
Maybe I will spoil their day tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL!!!!!
Your a trip Me. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
You handgun police quit picking on the poor guy. He is going to start looking over his shoulder all the time. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Cas, look at the stock on this thing! The damn silly armorers even made a shoulder stock for it...claimed it made it "more accurate" hah!!!

-

Damn historians even have the nerve to call it a handgun and a pistol!!!!!!!

For more on this fine piece of engineering:
http://mntnweb.com/hobby/gun/harper.htm

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I never got to participate in a "what is a handgun" discussion. Seems interesting to see some ideas floating around. Honestly, I was looking around for some 45/410 contender owners to tell me if the things are accurate in 45 Colt.

Now I was indoctrinated in the "handgun is a sidearm" school of thought and I carry either a 5 1/5" barrel Bisley or a SIG 220, depending on where I am going. By this strict definition, handgun hunting or any other handgun sport is an oddity because it is using a secondary arm as its primary. Handguns should be handy, and those in the photos posted by MSSmagnum certainly seem to follow that principal to the degree that a scoped single shot can. The Howdah pistols were sidearms, in the sense that they were meant to be kept loaded and handy in the for protection against dangerous animals, and they existed in the age of revolvers. I may have to lean toward a loose holster wear definition or such. I will say that a 7 1/2" contender with or without scope is much more a true handgun than a these new double-action, long-barreled, 454 Casull and up hand-cannons...but that is my own opinion. If I were to pick a name for them, I would likely call them "sporting handguns" to differentiate them from sidearms. If I were to hold to one hard rule, it may as well be: "no slings or bipods."

Single-shot handguns do interest me; but by the time it has a 15" barrel, I find myself wishing for another inch so I can put a stock on it. Scopes are nearly a non-issue for me though I feel they should be of a power-level that would allow shots to be taken without use of a rest.

[ 05-30-2003, 11:58: Message edited by: 45LCshooter ]

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pistol is a firearm that does not have a shoulder stock. Call it a pistol, a sidearm, a sporting arm, if you control it with one hand I call it a pistol.

Posts: 29 | Location: fall river, mass | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Please pardon my borrowing your photo...

Ok kids.... spot the handgun.
 -
 -

Hmm... that's a tough one... which is the handgun... well... one of them does have a Rifle scope on it, so maybe it's thhe other one? [Big Grin]

My favorite part of this discussion (and why I like it so much) is ALWAYS the people who get upset. We're going one way with the discussion and they run off at 180� with "I'LL DO WHATEVER I WANT! I'LL SHOOT WHATEVER I WANT! I'LL CALL IT WHATEVER I WANT!!! I PAYED FOR IT"!.. blah blah.. These folks are really missing the whole point. Nobody cares what you do or what you call it. Geeze.. lighten up. Strap a toaster to your head and call yourself a windmill.. we don't care. No ones trying to stop you from doing anything either.

As to my point about handguns being fired ne handed, or off hand. I never said single shot couldn't be fired off hand. I shoot mine that way as well as rested. But we've all seen gun with rest type grips, and huge forends that look like a 4x6" with a barrel channel and a 24x rifle scope. We all know they're not shooting them off hand (and who cares). But you can't get any farther from a true "handgun" than that.

Sorry, but if you strap a toaster to your head you're a wind turbine! If you strap a toaster-oven to your head, you're a windmill.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die you darn thread die! The horse has already expired and the hide just ain't gonna get any more tanned.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted and hit a few doves with 45/410 10" contender, is it a shotgun or a pistol, all you have to do is pick your shots and be in Mexico, but then I think you are el pistolero

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
Bring it on men. I love it. I am sitting here marveling. I know some are sorely vexed at me but who cares. Lets see if we can beat the Matchkings for Big Game thread.