one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted
Is this too much for a Contender frame?

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
I have one that has had several hundred rounds through it, and there is no problem with frame or barrel yet. It is one of my most accurate barrels, and very pleasant to shoot.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a .257 Dart on a T/C Contender (essentially, the same round as the .250 Savage). Works well and has never proved to be "excessive" in a Contender frame.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who chamers this round though is a question though I have often wondered cause its not on VVCG, Bullberry, or Eabco's website maybe OTT the new kid on the block does. But if its safe why don't they chamber it? Not trying to start an arguement just curious.

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Dalton>
posted
I would echo the question Mike72 raised. If it is safe, why doesnt Bullberry, VVG, or Eabco chamber this round in the Contender? I myself would avoid this until someone could answer that question.

<MePlat>
posted
Hi

[ 06-10-2003, 20:11: Message edited by: Meat Plate ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullberry chambered at least one in .300 Savage.....there's an article on it in Wildcat Cartridges Volume II. Also, the .309 JDJ has a similar web diameter and operates around 45,000 cup (undoubtedly, the JDJ is safe in a Contender frame).

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<wildcat51>
posted
I have a 14" 30-30 contender barrel that Mike Bellm rechambered to 300 B&S many years ago. Which is 307 Win brass sized and loaded using 300 savage dies. In other words it is a longer necked rimmed 300 savage. I shoot 125 grain bullets at 2450 fps, which I have been told is conservative. I believe Mike switched to the 308 Bellm for a few reasons one being that 444 marlin brass was easier to come buy.

There is a issue of handloader from a few years back that has an article on the 300 savage contender. Tonight if I get the time I will look through my back issues. The main reason I would not want 300 savage is because it is rimless.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
mike72 and Dalton,

The barrel that I have was rechambered and recrowned years ago by J D Jones (started out as a 30 Herrett Super 14 to the best of my recollection, but I am not going to take the scope off to check). At that time I believe he also offered 300 Savage in his custom barrels. I don't know why he stopped offering this caliber (he may have decided that it was too high pressure wise [Confused] ). J D may have a bit less conservative in the early days [Wink] .

I certainly would not presume to advise someone to use a 300 Savage barrel, as we all have to make our own decision about this. I can only tell you that in my particular pistol with Remington factory ammo and equivalent handloads no apparent damage has occurred after several hundred rounds.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C N,

I had a 300 Bellm/Stewart some years ago. As WC51 said, it is a 300 Savage with a little longer neck and a rim. It was chambered by Mike Bellm and was made to use 307 brass which is really strong stuff. I did rather extensive testing with it using 130, 150 and 165 grain bullets. I was able to get 2400 f/s from the 130 grain bullet with AA2015 powder, but overall, Win 760 was the best in terms of small group along with good velocities. This barrel also was the one we used to test a couple of different types of milled muzzle brakes. Due to that aspect by the time I tested the different bullets, it was just 12 1/2" long, so 2400 f/s was pretty good.

Since it used the rimmed 307 brass, it was a bit better than a 300 Savage, just becouse of the ease of using a rimmed case. In the end, I traded it, mostly because I wanted a different barrel so I could start working with Bellm on development of the Triad of cartridges using 444 Marlin brass. The guy I traded it to still uses it for big game hunting.

But, about the question of it being safe in the Contender, Yes it is safe so long as you limit your loads to a top end of 45,000 PSI. You might take a look at Bellm's page to see what was involved in developing load limits for the Bellm Triad of cartridges.

Don Shearer

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bellm made my 300 savage back in 1986 or 1987. My mamory slips a bit now. It is a 15" tapered hunter. Consistently holds 1" and below at 100 yards and completely takes out the feet from under white tails. It's my second most accurate round, running close behind my 6mm-223.

I have chronographed the Hornady 130gr spire point at velocities over 2500fps using H322 and CCI 350 primers.

I have altered my brass by incorporating shortened 308 brass, just because a friend gave me 500+ rounds and I did not see the need to buy the savage brass.

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote