Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker scope mounts and 1"rings
 Login/Join

posted
Who makes bases and 1" rings for the Savage Striker 22-250 pistol ? What brands are most recc'ed ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Striker is a handgun w/ many great attributes, but one weakness is apparent when one mounts a scope on it.... I had a great deal of problems finding a compatible combination of scope mount/rings/scope for my Striker in 308... Look VERY carefully at the specifications/dimensions for the scope you intend to install on your Striker. While my first scope, a Burris 3-9X, worked fine w/ the Weaver 2 piece mount/Leupold Quick Release rings, the scope I wanted to hunt w/, a Burris 2-7X, wouldn't fit in the rings; the Burris 3-12X ran out of elevation correction. Hunting season was quickly approaching so I went the "sure route" and ended up w/ SSK's "T-SOB" mount and 3 rings. Unfortunately, the med rings sent by SSK wouldn't fit (objective bell was contacting the base) so I ended up buying 3 Burris high rings from SSK. Last season, I decided to use the Striker on a long/wide power line so changed back to the Burris 3-12X, but had to also change to the Burris (Signature) Med rings to be able to adjust the elevation appropriately.. BTW, the Burris 3-9X worked ok w/ the Burris high rings. If I had it to do over, I'd give serious consideration to the Weaver ONE piece base used w/ the appropriate height Burris Signature Rings (3). There, have I made it clear as mud? Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is a 22-250 so the traj will be a bit flatter. My scope choices are a Burris 7x fixed (currently on a 222RMI contender), & a Leu 2.5x to 8x (definitely a shortie, but fits wonderfully on my 308Bellm Contender). I wouldn't mind getting a Burris 2x to 7x B-Plex, or a 3x to 9x B-Plex to swap with the 7x fixed on the TC??...On the Striker, is the 7x or 3x12 the only show in town?...what height rings with each? ..... I read a thread about using Millets dual offset rings so the burris 2x7 would fit with 2 piece bases on the striker...What do you think?...

This is a (NIB) 512 B model made from '99-01: laminate thumbhole stock , fluted bbl w/brake, and an ADJUSTABLE ESP TRIGGER!...all standard Factory issue for that model. Quite a find (I hope) for my first Striker! I hope my Contender collection gets along with it in the vault! They are very jealous!

Had no idea that this was such a PITA to scope. Would a 1 piece base mount the short scopes better?...will it interfere with loading/unloading rounds? Would the Weaver the best choice. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I had to go with the Weaver one piece base, in order to mount my Burris 3-12 on my 7mm-08 Striker. The two piece mounts were too far apart for the scope. I'm using Med. Burris rings.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gary T

Curiously,what does the ring height have to do with the amt of elevation correction? If the receiver,base,and rings are parallel with the bore, raising a scope with higher rings will not give U more elev correction. If the scope laks sufficient internal adjustment,I'msure the mfg'er will correct it ASAP! Shimming a base or 1 ring can correct a misaligned receiver .... but not too safe with any round of "moderate" recoil.

one of us
Picture of 44magnum
posted Hide Post
I have both a Striker 22-250 and 7mm-08. Both wear one piece mounts but the 7mm-08 came from Savage that way. I changed over the 22-250 shortly thereafter as it worked so well on 7mm-08. I went on Savage website and they stated who made the mount (B-Square) and I ordered one for 22-250.

As far as scopes I tried Leupold 2.5x8 but found problem with eye relief when I assumed field positions to shoot from. Was no problem when firing from bench tho. Both Strikers now wear Burris: 22-250 a 3x12AO w/ Ball Plex and the 7mm-08 a 2x7. Love 'em both. In fact my Striker in 22lr also wears Burris: a straight 4x for hunting and a 6x HBR for target shooting.

ALL have Burris Signature Zee rings in the high height mode. I will not use any other ring. If rings need shimming you can get the replacement inserts and custom it yourself.

BTW one piece mount from B-Square has a cutout for the loading/ejection of shells. Be sure to order correct side tho. I said I had left handed bolt but failed to tell them that it was a right hand eject so had to send first one back! Guess I wasn;t clear that it was a handgun not the rifle 110 action.

Just my expereinces!!

Paul

Posts: 205 | Location: Watertown, WI | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold one-piece base and rings on my .308, never had a bit of problem keeping the Burris 3-12x in place.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice! I did see the "right handed 1 piece base" listed at Midway,and am glad to see it actually in use!...

**Burris Posi-Align rings were suggested but the question of bases wasn't addressed.......
In regards to bases for the posi-Align rings... : Obviously Burris mounts, but ...their 2 piece... vs. 1 piece... weaver type vs their proprietary type?

I don't understand what appears to be lack of Striker designed bases/ring systems, by Burris, Leupold, Weaver, etc for their own scopes for example.. or did Savage blow it by not having the major makers build bases to fit their receiver's design, which are adaptable to the Makers own scopes? They seem to have every other model firearm covered!
There appears to be no standard successful system for the more popular scopes that are status quo for these long range pistols .... the Burris 2x7, or 3x12, or Leu 2.5x8, etc. I see too much time wasted with mix and match experimenting in these forums.

** Can't Savage, or the Scope makers recc the correct setup??**

What does everyone think of the Burris (or someone else's) Quick release rings (w/levers) in the correct 1 or 2 base system, so I can then use the scope/with these same rings, on a different pistol? I don't mind moving the rings if necessary, and re sighting the scope .
I've got many Contenders bbls with Weaver, TSOB (weaver), Leu's, & Redfield mounts and have no prob swapping Leu 2x, 4x, 2.5x8, Burris 7x scopes between them, as the need arises.

I'd like to get one of the 2 Burris variables w/Ballistic plex for this 22-250 Striker, but have no idea which mount fits which scope? ... so I haven't purchases either item yet, and the pistol is on the way.

A 22-250 doesn't require a TSOB lockup, so how difficult should this be?

Still looking for recc's,
Steve

posted Hide Post
22-250 Striker:

Is anyone using Rifle Scopes on these pistols?

Do any of the 22-250 owner's out there have the BSAK model of 1999-2001?....

Brace yourselves:
Laminate thumbhole stock, dual pillar bedded
ESP 2 stage adjustable trigger,
Fluted bbl
All Stock features!

WHY WOULD SAVAGE EVER DREAM OF DISCONTINUING THIS MODEL VS. MAKING IT "THE STANDARD" MODEL?...DUH!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Yes, I have used rifle scopes with cartridges bigger than the 22-250.
Check the Specialty Pistol web page for more details.
Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'm not sure that I understood the optics behind the problem, much less explain it, but changing to the different mount allowed me sufficient vertical internal adjustment to enable me to use the 3-12X scope w/o problems. Could've sent back to Burris for more internal adjustment, just thought it'd be easier and less expensive to use different height rings. I didn't play w/ changing different alignment rings as I intended to use the same scope on a 223 during the summer.

In reference to other bases, I've not seen the Burris one piece base. I like the Weaver one piece base as it has multiple slots (i.e. more than 2) for more scope mounting flexibility. If you might use different scopes on your gun in the future, I'd recommend a one piece base w/ multiple slots over a two piece base or one piece w/ only two slots. As far as the quick detachable rings, the only one I have is the Leuopold QD (Weaver style). Guess which gun I originally bought them for??? Yes, the Striker. Worked great w/ Burris 3-9X, but needed an extension ring (which they do NOT make) to mount the Burris 2-7X. At this point, I started my "Holy Grail," in search of a workable mount/rings system for the Striker... You're right, mounting a scope to a Striker should NOT be as difficult as it is.... But once you get it set up, you're in for a real joy as they all seem to be "wonderful shooters"! Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote