Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM XP-100 almost done
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys and gals,

My gunsmith called me Tuesday and was strating to flute the barrel.Just need to engrave it and blue it hopefully by this weekend it should be back in daddy hand.Since he has it since 8/05/02.

I did test fire it a few times a few weeks ago and it did great.

Shoot a few loads that I had for it some really light loads the lightest that I could find listed.Also fired a few loads that I had worked up to in my PSS and they worked great.

Looks like instead of losing 10%or12% velocity I am going to lose 16%to18%.Just the first few loads that I had shoot plus that was with a new barrel that had not been broke in or anything.No brake on it and a full 16" barrel.

Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
That is one LONG case for an XP! [Big Grin] Keep us posted on load development and accuracy! Curious, what powder you are using with what bullet in that 300RUM. Should be a REAL handcannon! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man oh man, sure would like to see that thing at Bower's clinic this year. Are you coming?? We all sure had a lot of fun last year.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys;Called the gunsmith the barrel is flutted and waiting for the engraving and blueing.He said next week we will see.

As for load I am going to try IMR 7828 and RL25 for most bullet weights right now and will try other if I don't get what I want out of it.What I would like to happen is to be able to use the same loads for my REM PSS 300RUM as in my XP.We will see what happens.

Yes it is a long case.Barrel is a full 16" no brake and almost a full inch at the muzzel forgot the exact diameter.It will be in a HS stock with Leupold mounts and rings and a brand new Burris 3x12 fine duplex with target turrents.

Wade

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,
Sounds like you will get your new toy about the same time I will get mine(6.5-284 XP-100). What are your MV expectations with the 300 in a 150 or 180 grain bullet?
Ernie

P.S. I sure wish I could get you and Fifty at the clinic this year!
In fact, I wish I could get everyone from this board at one time or another. It is almost as fun as hunting elk in Colorado.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey xphunter;good to hear from you.I will bet you get your before me,my smith has said next for the last three weeks.

As for MV I am hoping for 3000fps with a 180gr pill.But who knows.At least I hope to get it with a 165gr pill.Who knows what this will bring since it new to everone I talk to.

As for ythe Bower clinic if me and you and FIFTYDRIVER where there we would be up all night talking and be to tired to shoot.Then we would never leave there.I think we have so much in common with these pistols once we got started we would never be able to quit.But what fun it would be to meet you both.Maybe one day we will all be able to meet somewhere and shoot.Better hope for a all night diner close by because will be talking and comparing notes for along time.

Wade

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,
I try not to think to much on when Tannel will call me. He will do it when he is finished and I have made up my mind not to call him and check, no matter how impatient I become.
Sometimes it not so fun being the first one on the block, since there is no one to tell you what to expect. Been there and done that.
3,000 with a 180! Wow, that would be awesome!
You can do a lot of talking and shooting in four days and nights (Monday -Thursday). Just tell me how I can tempt you to come? This stuff is just so fun, and we plan on adding some other things to make it more practical for hunting.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you guys seen the new Accubond, and Interbond bullets out there? The Accubond .30 cal 200 gr. bullet has a B.C. of .588-- that's got to be about as high as it gets for a controlled expansion bullet. It would be interesting to see what that would do out of that big case, especially on the 1000 yd. elk silhouette at the Alliance range in Nebraska in July, hint, hint.

[ 05-02-2003, 01:14: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote