Notify
Tools

My Pillar Bedding Technique
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is how I pillar bedded my Encore rifle forend. I did it with
the barrel on the frame.

First I smoothed out the factory barrel channel of my walnut forend with a piece of 100 grit sand paper wrapped around a socket of the correct diameter. After removing the washers from the forend, I completely drilled out the forend with a 11/32" drill bit. Then I cut the 3/4" tall aluminum spacers I bought from McMaster Carr to the correct length and attached them to the barrel with the forend screws. Next, I wrapped the barrel with two layers of electrical tape to give .020" barrel / forend clearance. I tried the forend on the barrel with the spacers attached to make sure everything would go together correctly with a little clearance for the epoxy which holds everything together. I applied two layers of paste carnuba wax as a release agent anywhere I didn't want epoxy to stick. I mixed enough JB Weld (Yes JB Weld) to "glue" the spacers to the forend. I covered the spacers with JB Weld being careful not to get any on the forend screw heads. Slowly, I lowered the forend on the spacers and secured everything with a large rubber band. Twelve hours later I removed the forend screws and pried the forend from the barrel with a screwdriver and a thin sheet of rubber to protect the wood. I removed all the electrical tape and applied a few coats of Tru-oil to the forend where I sanded on it.

PS. Here's the link to the Aluminum Spacers I found. web page
part number 92510A547. Just do a search for the part number.

Alpo

[ 11-26-2002, 17:35: Message edited by: Alpo ]

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alpo, I would like to know if you used the spacers against the barrel with the ends still flat or did you bevel them to the barrel contour. I have been thinking of trying something like this. thanks drichi

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on track. That's the idea. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Alpo,

Excellent post! That is perhaps the best explanation of reworking and pillar bedding of the factory forend that I have seen.

Got any pics of the finished product?

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the completments,

This post started out as an email to Mike B. but I couldn't ever get it to go through, so I posted it here.

drichi,
No, I didn't bevel the pillars, but that's one thought I had after the job was completed. However, the JB weld did form to the countour rather nicely.

Sean,
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. I might could borrow one if you'd like.

BTW, this system seems to work very well for me. Of course accuracy was the main reason I did it, However, I think the factory 8-40 screws are too short to properly hold the forend. Mine only had a couple of threads engaging the barrel when I first bought the rifle. With pillar bedding, you have control over how much the threads engage.

PS Mike Bellm,
This along with your Oversized hinge pin made my factory 24" 7mm-08 shoot MOA. Remember that barrel? Well T/C replaced it and the new one is infinately better. POI does not change when the barrel heats up. Thanks for all the help and great products.

[ 11-27-2002, 17:33: Message edited by: Alpo ]

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote