New
Find
Notify
Tools

.219 Zipper info?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here shoot a .219 Zipper in a 14" Contender barrel? I'm looking for any load data for the pistol length barrel and any case forming suggestions that anyone would be kind enough to share.

thanks, Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
I no longer have a 219 Zipper in a 14" Contender, though I used to load for one (my latest 219 Zipper is a Martini Cadet).
The best powder in the pistol was old faithful IMR 30-31. The 219 Zipper in a pistol will do (velocity wise) what the 223 will do in a pistol and precious little more.
25/35 is easier to form from than 30-30, though 30-30 isn't bad either. New or once fired brass is just about a requirement for easy forming. If using 30-30 brass size down the neck in steps (I use 7mm Waters, 250 Savage, then 219 Zipper). The cases for my barrel didn't need turned after forming. Rem. brass forms easier than Win. I use Imperial sizing die wax with good results,Keep the wax off the shoulder or you'll get oil dents.
If you have specific problems that I can help you with let me know.
And, if you get the chance to get a 219DW barrel, you'll see why my old Zipper is gone.
T.D.

[ 05-31-2003, 22:31: Message edited by: T. D. Clevenger ]