New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Wyoming for a Speed Goat!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After all the angst apparent on this site, thought a little good news and actual discussion of single shot pistols might be in order.

I just found out today I got drawn for an antelope hunt in Wyoming. Will be going with three buddies from work to Cheyenne (Area 38) I'll be the only one with a handgun - my 308 Bellm
(shameless plug for the Hairy Tic!) I've been using 130 gr Hornady SSPBs but want to try some Nosler 125 gr BTs. When Mike did the rechamber, he told me he cut the chamber on the short side with the BTs in mind, so they should work real well. The barrel was an older 6 groove 30 Herret and it gives almost 200 fps over the data Don Shearer developed with the 8 groove barrel. I chronied 150 gr Hornady SPs at over 2500! The BTs should really scream. Soon as I get some and try them out, I'll let you know.

Good shootin'

Tony D ><>

Why can't we all just get along? Rodney King

Posts: 64 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
That is TOO COOL!! Congrats! Keep us posted on your load development and accuracy. That should be quite the challenge.....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
I didn't get drawn for antelope or elk but I did manage to draw a Wyoming deer tag (gen area J). Think I'll be using my 323 Stibgen (15"Encore). I'll either be using 150 gr Hornadys or if I can get decent accuracy, 180 NBT.

Tony D Good Luck!! Take plenty of ammo for praire dogs and coyotes.

Wyoming is a Great State!! [Wink]

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony:

I just found out that I got drawn for antelope too! I will not be using a handgun, however. I have recently had my first bolt gun built (.308 built on a Remington action)and I am going to try it out.

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Congratulations on your success and I bid you the best of luck on your hunt.

If I can be of any assistance to you, you have but to email me.

Again, congrats and good luck.

Regards,

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony D,
ALLLLRIGHT!!! [Big Grin] One of the most memorable and fun hunts I've ever been on was the '94??? HHI Antelope hunt. Used my 6.5 JDJ to harvest a nice buck as well as a doe. You'll have a great time! [Razz] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute......I must be living under the wrong rock..........what the heck is a "speed goat?" I'm under the assumption it is slang for an antelope. [Confused]

And a 323 Stibgen ? Just when I though I had 'em all figured out.....

[ 07-03-2003, 21:46: Message edited by: T/C nimrod ]

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, to #1.

I haven't a clue as to #2 [Smile]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tony,
When I go to the US to hunt I'm also the lone guy to use a handgun. Here in Canada we can't use handguns to hunt (they're suposedly evil things) so when I go south of the border I use my T/C. For antelope in Montana I've used my 7mmTCU with excellent(never lost a hit animal) luck even though I find it a bit on the light side, last year I used my 375JDJ for mule deer and got one with it.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
The 323 Stibgen is my own take on a 8X57 improved, it's nothing fancy--mostly an ego thing I suppose. It has slightly more capacity than a 8-06. It has a 0.25" neck, 0.460" dia. shoulder and 40 degree shoulder. I can get 175 grain sierra to just over 2600fps (tops)with my 15" encore. I usually load it to 2550 fps for case life and accuracy.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony D:
After all the angst apparent on this site, thought a little good news and actual discussion of single shot pistols might be in order.

I just found out today I got drawn for an antelope hunt in Wyoming. I'll be the only one with a handgun - my 308 Bellm

Tony D ><>

Why can't we all just get along? Rodney King

Tony
Congrats on drawing the tag. Good luck on the hunt. Please return with details on the 308 Bellms' performance on the game. I am interested since I haven't had an opportunity to take a shot at game with mine.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I sure will keep you posted on the accuracy results with the Noslers. I did take a deer with the 130 Hornadys in Missouri in 2001. Although I did find the deer after a great 75 yard bloodtrail, the exit wound was not much bigger than the entrance. Either the bullet didn't expand or shed the jacket and the core exited. I didn't find any jacket material inside, then again, I really didn't go digging through the mess to try and find it. The load was 50 or so ( can't remember exactly) grains of Win 760, Win LR primers and the 130 gr Hornady SSPB. I'm guessing the velocity is 2600 or better based on what I was getting with the 150s. I took the shot at about 40 yards, so it is possible the bullet shed the jacket at such close range. I just ordered some 125 gr BTs. I will also experiment with LR magnum primers as they are recommended with the Win 760, although I've had good results so far with the standard primers.

I'm lucky in that one of the buds I'll be hunting with is from the Cheyenne area, in fact, his father still lives there and will be hunting with us.

Three months to go, but whose counting?

Tony D ><>

Posts: 64 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote