THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parent cases for wildcats in the Contender?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
I know this is going to show my ignorance (tryin to learn sumpin [Wink] )but there are numerous cases that fit in contender platform but dont seem to be used. A couple of examples are 30-40 & 303. Brass is readily available for these rounds and should make decent parent cases? no? There are a lot of others that would fit into this catagory, why not use them?

[ 07-13-2003, 00:51: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
The 307 Winchester Improved case is a great one, since it is a strong design. You can get into pressure problems if you are not careful, but that is not that uncommon with cases for the Contender(You can use the 45-70 in a safely Contender, but you can't safely load it to the levels you can safely in an Encore). With the G-2 out it gives us a little more fudge room since it is a stronger frame.
Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Ernie, True but i am talkin about staying within the pressure constraints of the contender package. There are numerous other cases that would fill the bill but seem to be ignored (or maybe i just have not seen them), my question is why?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xphunter:
With the G-2 out it gives us a little more fudge room since it is a stronger frame.

Yes BUT from what i have seen it appears that everyone believes the G2 opens new cartridges/pressures to the contender format. I personally am not interested in loading a contender or G2 to the point of frame stretching. I think that TC will find that adding this additional measure of safety to the contender format will not greatly reduce the warranty replacements they currently have with the contender.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the above Mike. When we first heard about the G-2 the first post I saw were guys wanting to shoot a full length 308 in it. The way I see the G-2 is as Ernie says , "a little more fudge factor" maybe. Bottom line it is still a Contender and should be treated as much, but we all know some one will push it a little to far.

Back to the original question, all I will say is I am working on it [Wink] [Smile] .
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
So, maybe a reasonable question will be - What will a generally acceptable preasue limit be on the G2? Do I remember correctly that the Contender is around 55k? I don't watch the numbers that close so I could be wrong. Living where I do, even deer season has temp's around 90 degrees, so I have to keep preasure lower than most anyway.

steve

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Well, you have to remember that it breach thrust based on the case head size & pressure that determines the maximum pressure for the break opne guns.... So it is more of a pressure within a given case head size.

<Quarter Miler>
posted
As far as my opinion is has to do with price of brass and what the experts try to make you beleive is the best ones. Then again everone looks for the cheaper brass. I think the 375 win is worth looking into, but then again, it is not as cheap as the 444. But i see where you are coming from. One reason I like the 30 Alaskan, load a 307 fireform load and your done, set the shoulder back a bit and you have a powerhouse if you want it. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i think it was 45,000 max psi. [Confused]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Miler:
I think the 375 win is worth looking into, but then again, it is not as cheap as the 444.

375 brass is basically heavier walled 30-30 and we both know that 30-30 is purty much dirt cheap! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the main reason those other cases are ignored for the most part is that a 30-30 case will do all a Contender can stand and then some. You will achieve maximum pressure and velocity with the 30-30. It shows pressure well, and it's dirt cheap. There really is no need for messing with the 303 nor the 30-40 unless of course you just like those rounds. [Smile]

Posts: 136 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
[Wink] Good answer Jeff!

I have been playin around with the 30-40 as it can be necked straight up to a 41 caliber but other than that i really have no use for it, kinda like a short 405. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
MSS, I've often wondered the same thing? I know SSK chambers 30-40 krag.

Why is the 225 win. used for so many wildcat with limited availablity when the 220 swift has always been more available? It also adds more case capacity.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAS 323:
MSS, I've often wondered the same thing?

As Jeff stated above, the 30-30 is probably the best case aside from the 444 in the contender. I STILL think that there has to be others that would make excellent parent cases that are readily available and affordable.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am working with sort of an experimental round right now. It is a .375 based on 9.3x74R. Also if you want it rimless 30-06 brass can be used.
the 9.3x74R brass is not cheap. The round was dubbed .375 Bellm Express. If you took a 375/444 and stretched it out from 2.25 to 2.375. A fired case measures .470 at the base and .458 at the shoulder. The shoulder is also moved forward .125. I've just started working with it. With the 270 Hornady I've got 2174 FPS. I will be working with it more and also the 225 Hornady.

Outback

Posts: 119 | Location: Highland, IN USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote