New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 110 gr. spire or poly point in 30 Herett
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you use a 110gr. RN soft point (Any brand, but Speer shoots best in mine, followed closely by Rem.) you will not be dissapointed with its performance on whitetail sized game. The 110 spire point is a little too soft if you hit any bone. I've killed several deer with both, the 110 round nose soft point is best.
I've found that nothing is to be gained by using a heavier bullet than the 110gr. in the 30 herrett for use on game.
BTW, the 110gr polycarbonite tipped Hornady is amazingly good on game smaller than deer int he 30 herrett. Shoots flatter than you'd expect and makes groundhogs and fox into gore soup!
TDLefty

Posts: 71 | Location: Mineralwells, WV | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25 or 30 years ago when I first started handloading I used both the 110gr. Hornady Spire Point and the 110gr. Speer Spire Point in my .30-06 Rifle for Whitetails. I didn't know a lot about Ballistics back then and was impressed with the Muzzle Velocity (didn't have a chronograph either, but rather relied on what the loading manuals listed). I had very good success with these bullets on Whitetails on chest shots, and in fact probably dropped more Whitetails in their tracks than with anything I have used since.

Slowed down in a .30 Caliber Handgun I would think they would work OK provided you were not shooting at the south end of a north bound Whitetail. Accuracy in that ole '06 was fairly decent with these lightweights also, but not up to the standard we are accustomed to with Contenders now a days.

SD Handgunner