New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot my Savage Striker 243 today.It's a real nice gun. Trigger is perfect. With all the weight recoil is very light. I sure wont be carrying this gun on a all day hike. I realy did not like the adj muzzle break. The gain in noise and muzzle blast far outwayed the benifits of less kick. I was not happy with the accuracy but did not exspect it to be very good with 100 grn factory loads[1.5"@ 25 yards}. I hope when I get faster powder and lighter bullets it will group much smaller. After shooting 20 rnds I picked up my Contender in 358JDJ it was like it weighed nothing. It still surpises me when it goes off. All I can say is awsome! At least today it out shot the Striker{.300" @ 25 yards]. Still working on loads for it. It started to rain before I could move to longer distences. As I was shooting, the owner of our hunting lease showed up and desided to buy the Ruger 44 Mag I had for sale. All in all a good day at the range. Lone Hunter

[ 07-21-2002, 06:22: Message edited by: Lone Hunter ]

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
Never have been much of a fan of muzzle brakes. Plus on something the size of a 243 I would think you wouldn't need it. Did you try it with the muzzle brake turned off? I would think the noise wouldn't be near as bad and the recoil would be tolerable. Slim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slim, most of the shots were taken with the muzzle brake turned off. I tried a few shots with it on and was not impressed. The extra noise and blast was not worth it. It realy did not seem to reduce recoil that much. Maybe with faster powder it may make more of a difference. It is not like it kicks alot. I could use a brake on my 358JDJ but I like the kick. Lone Hunter

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote