Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'06 or 270 max range
 Login/Join

posted
in a t/c 15" barrel with good shot placement what would you all say would be the max distance "you" would take at a white tail?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocity loss compared to rifle length barrels with those cartridges is about 300 to 350 fps or so in a handgun with a 15" barrel, which amounts to about the same velocity loss observed within the first 100 yards shooting those same cartridges in a rifle. So you will be giving up 100 yards of effective range in bullet performance by going to a pistol length barrel, assuming that you can properly place your bullets with a handgun at its longest range limitations. Otherwise, the range where you can keep all your shots inside a 12" paper plate is your personal range limitation with field shooting positions...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
If I had an absolutely solid rest with a good scope, I would take the shot at up to 300 yards providing I had a load that would give me no worse than 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has the horsepower to go beyond 300 depending on the ability of the shooter and hte inherent accuray of the rig itself

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with xphunter - the shooter & the rig probably would have an awful lot to do with range limitation out to 300 yards+. Gets really tough past that far sometimes unless you have lots of practice & good shooting conditions with a gun you are familiar with.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I just bought an encore in 270 and I know I am capable of 300 yards with rifle but not sure with pistol. I ask this question because when I got it the guy at the shop said he got a white tail with his at 315yards. And I thought that was a pretty good distance for a handgun. I have hunted with revolvers a lot but never felt good at shooting at whitetails past 75 yards’ guest I need to get out there and practice with it a lot and find out this season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cridertj:
Thanks, I just bought an encore in 270 and I know I am capable of 300 yards with rifle but not sure with pistol. I ask this question because when I got it the guy at the shop said he got a white tail with his at 315yards. And I thought that was a pretty good distance for a handgun. I have hunted with revolvers a lot but never felt good at shooting at whitetails past 75 yards’ guest I need to get out there and practice with it a lot and find out this season.

crider,
Practicing from field conditions even further than you will ever shoot is a good way to determine how proficient you are with that handgun. First I would practice from the bench for load development.
My teenage daughter has taken whitetails between 75-350 yards (all 1-shot kills),most were beyond 200 yards, and my son who is 13 took his first deer and antelope @ 200 and 260 yards (all 1-shot kills).
Both used single-shot SP's.
But both have shot these same guns out to 1,000 yards on steel and paper. in fact both have competed out to 1k with these pistols.
My daughter could easily go to 500 yards on game, given practice time (she hasn't shot much in the last year-college))and good field conditions. She is now 18, but she exceptionally proficient with a SP. I have no doubt she can shoot better than most men with a SP. My son is not as good as his sister, but he is getting there.

I use my kids as examples to show what can be done. As the distance begins to get out there and you know for a fact your drops & wind at all of your ranges, then bullet performance begins to become a factor once the speed begins to drop. Sometimes the limitation is dependent onthe type of bullet you use.

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They'll kill a whitetail as far away as "you" can strike the vital zone on purpose.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies could any one recommend a good place to find accessories for the t/c encore pistol such as slings holsters and barrels

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is who I use:

http://qh-holsters.com/

Ernie