THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Pistols    Aftermarket barrel makers for contenders....who's out there??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket barrel makers for contenders....who's out there??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking I want to get a more compact barrel for my contender and am thinking of about a 10" barrel for 357 mag and then equipping with a red dot site of some sort for brush hunting in Wis.

Are there any good after market people to consider?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to buy a custom barrel I would go with OTT or MGM. There should be alot of 10" 357 mag. factory barrels out there too. Other barrel makers that come to mind are SSK and Bullberry.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as mentioned
MGM
Bullberry
SSK
OTT
also
Van Horn
Bergara
Coyote
TCs Custom Shop

I have personally only ever had MGMs/VVCG and ?Bullberrys. Based on those experiences and the experiences of others these days mine will either be MGMs or OTTs.

You should know that ordering a custom TC barrel (no matter where it comes from) typically can include a very long wait. So if you want one order long before you actually need it.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a barrel from SSK in a 450 3.25 inch NE for a T/C Encore.

Excellent barrel and is good for a four inch group at 100 yds from the bench. SSK is the best that I know.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 12" MGM barrel in 7-30 Waters last summer, and used it to take an antelope and a mule deer in the fall. I am very pleased with the quality of the barrel and will probably buy more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how bout mike bellam.

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder makes an excellent product, too. I have three of his barrels, a couple SSK, a custom shop, and an OTT. They are all well finished and accurate.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
matchgrademachine.com offers relatively quick turnaround and superb quality for a very reasonable price.

2 dogs-
Mike Bellm hasn't been in the actual barrel-making business for quite a while. He does, however, offer just about every service imaginable for the Contender and Encore crowd and on occasion does offer select re-chambered barrels (or factory barrels with custom alterations/upgrades) in smaller quantities.

Check out his site at www.bellmtcs.com

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket / custom barrels are excellent shooters but don't discount the quality of off the rack factory TC or Fox Ridge barrels.

Of my 12 pistol length and one rifle length Encore and Contender barrels only two come from somewhere other than TC or their custom shop Fox Ridge and all will shoot at or under 1" 100 yd. groups.

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ike. The last two barrels I bought came from TC and I am impressed. We are very demanding of our Contender barrels and use them almost exclusively for prairie dogs and long shots on prairie deer/antelope. They have to be accurate or we won't keep them. My sons .204 Ruger is a pd shooter out well beyond 300 yds and the new 7-30 Waters drops deer out well beyond what most consider its range.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ehg...if you can't get better...much better than 4" groups off the bench I would be sending that barrel back, right damned quick. That is not a good barrel if your doing your part.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow S: We are talking about a T/C pistol in the .450 3.25 inch NE caliber, with a 15 inch barrel.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
2 dogs-
Mike Bellm hasn't been in the actual barrel-making business for quite a while. He does, however, offer just about every service imaginable for the Contender and Encore crowd and on occasion does offer select re-chambered barrels (or factory barrels with custom alterations/upgrades) in smaller quantities.

Check out his site at www.bellmtcs.com[/QUOTE]

I am not an Encore Guy, but Mike Bellm is a personal friend as we live in the same town..and I have taken him out varmint shooting as my guest..

when it comes to Encores, I can tell you this.. he lives and breathes this stuff... you couldn't trust your firearm to anyone whom was more focused on this than Mike is.. and he is a perfectionist.. I've watched him work on stuff, and he is microscopically ( if that is a word., lol) focused on what he is doing.....

your Encore or Barrel couldn't be in better hands than his..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ehg, barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy potential. I have several very heavy hitters in a TC Encore with Reeder 15" bbls or less that do a lot better than that. One is a 500 S&W with a 10" bbl, a 378GNR with a 13" bbl and a 416GNR ( 50 Alaskan case necked down to 416 caliber) with a 14" bbl., shooting 400gr Partitions@ nearly 2000fps. A 4" group at 100yds off the bench is simply not acceptable accuracy to me, regardless the caliber. Perhaps it needs some fine tuning in the load to get to a sweet spot, as it might not be the bbl quality. I have a custom TC Contender built by SSK with an octagon bbl in 6.5JDJ and that thing is amazingly accurate, like 1/2" groups@ 100yds consistantly with my loads, so SSK can build them well.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Contender- and G2 frames. Barrels .22 Hornet 10", 9mm Luger 10", .357 Rem Maximum 14" and .223 Rem 22".
I am reloader. So can to reload for Maximum barrel .38 spl and .357 Mag too.
With Redfield Golden Five Srtar 4x pistolscope it is most accurate
Reduced loads I make with Archipelago copperplated resitzed cast bullest.
http://www.archipelagobullets.fi

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote