Find
Notify
Tools

Match or non match 10" 22 LR barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I want the 22 barrel to practice, plink, play and hopefully it will easily hold groups to MOS.

Will I notice a significant difference in accuracy between the match and non match barrel and even 10 inch bull vs 10 inch octagon. All of this considering the differences between the different batches of 22 ammo. Remember MOS is the measurement, NOT a group measured in thousandths.

LouisB

MOS= minute of squirrel

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've had both standard and match-chambered .22 LR barrels from TC, and to be quite honest, the standard chamber was more accurate across the board (with a wider variety of ammunition). I've heard the same from others as well. (These were the standard 10" barrels and not the octagon -- never had one of these in .22 LR)

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I chose the match as "you would think" that they would be more accurate. My barrel easily shoots sub MOA and is actually more accurate than the 3 rifles that i have (and they are impressive). Either one should serve you well for your intended purpose. I have used mine for squirrel hunting off and on for years. If i do my part, a squirrel at 50 yards showing me his head is in trouble! [Big Grin] I have also used this barrel for most all small game.

Either one should work well for you, it will just be a matter of selecting the ammo that it likes.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have 2 ten inch standard barrels, one with sights and other with scope...never played with a match barrel. No squirrel sitting still within 55-60 yards is safe with the the scoped barrel, it has a 4X Tasco proclass with dot reticule- dot on the head=squirrel dead... The opened sight barrel with my poor eyes will hit minute of squirrel out to 35 yards pretty much every time, but can't guarantee a head shot. May or may not answer your question, but the scoped barrel is much easier to hit with than my 10-22 rifle.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TCLOUIS,

I waited far to long to get my 22 LR barrel.
For years I used a 16" 22 LR for teaching the Boy Scouts to shoot. One day I picked up a Match 10" and I love it. Just pickup a 14" Std chamber with custom sights and it is a great shooter also.
I use a rifle scope on the 10" 22 Match to get the most out of it.

I need to learn how to post photos to the board so I can show off the benchrest 10" KTS forend on this tackdriver. Shot a perfect target at the Shelby Farms Range last month ya gotta see!

KenTN
KEN from TX but in Western TN now [Smile]

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
may i also ask whether the match or standard barrel does best with winchester power points? thanks

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Saline-That's going to be more a function of the individual barrel's preference than anything else. But from my records, the 50 yard avg. for the WW Power Points (THE best hunting loads for the .22 LR, IMHO), the standard barrel went 0.73; the match barrel went 1.31". But again, those numbers may be reversed in 2 other barrels.

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
.....But again, those numbers may be reversed in 2 other barrels.

Yup, my match barrel will shoot the Power Points into one hole at 25 yards, one ragged hole at 50 and sub moa at 100 yards. I agree with Bobby that it is a function of each barrel. The Power Point also appears to be an excellent small game/varmint round. [Big Grin]

Posts: 43 | Location: pa | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kickedby444:
quote:

Yup, my match barrel will shoot the Power Points into one hole at 25 yards, one ragged hole at 50 and sub moa at 100 yards. I agree with Bobby that it is a function of each barrel. The Power Point also appears to be an excellent small game/varmint round. [Big Grin]
LOL!! Ok, that is my post but i logged in earlier as Jim to fix his signature line and forgot to log out, LOL! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSSmagnum:
quote:
Originally posted by kickedby444:
quote:

LOL!! Ok, that is my post but i logged in earlier as Jim to fix his signature line and forgot to log out, LOL! [Big Grin]
[Big Grin] Hey mike my life ain't that great,You don't want to be me,Trust me [Razz]
But hey my 10" match barrel shoots just like yours [Smile]

Posts: 43 | Location: pa | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the answers, since the regular barrel is cheaper will probably get that, i suspect the chamber dimensions of individual barrels is the reason for accuracy.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote