New
Find
Notify
Tools

7BR XP-100 hunting load ?
 Login/Join

<IKE>
posted
Winter has just started, spring is a long way off, deer season is three weeks away and I'm already developing a case of cabin fever so I need to play with something so I thought I'd work up a hunting load for my XP in 7BR.

Anyone onboard using or have used a 7BR for deer hunting ?

Any powder and bullet combo that has proven itself to be effective on deer ?

I've got a good supply of different powders on hand and I'm thinking about using Varget and Sierra 130gr SSP's over Rem 7 1/2 BR primers but I'm not locked in to those components.

<marrfam>
posted
Ike have you tried some of the hunting bullets in the wieght range that you use for match shooting? Find a bullet in that range that expands at lower velocities and I bet you will have it made.
The cabin fever is getting to me too. Bine, Tim and I are heading to the range this weekend to do some shooting. Tim is wanting to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in 357.
I took your advise and may have solved my problems. I am hauling metal to the scrap yard for a guy that needs it gone so far I made 135. 6 ofit was for steel the rest was alluminum. any ways talk to you later bro

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 130 grain Sierra SSP is a great place to start, but also give consideration to the Hornady 120 grain SSP (both the standard and polymer-tipped version) and the Nosler 120 grain BT. These bullets give the proper expansion and penetration at the velocity level you will be working at. Your choice of a Rem 7 1/2 is, in my opinion, right on the money as I now use this primer exclusively. As to powder, for me, nothing has provided a better blend of velocity and accuracy than H335. In fact, 32 grains of H335 and the 120 grain BT has given sub-MOA performance in a number of XPs. In my current pistol, it produces 2412 fps.

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
What about Barnes' X's?? They are supposed to expand down to 1600fps. Some 120gr XFB would be perfect, I think.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
1-pointer-
The Barnes X bullets are far from ideal for the single shot specialty pistols. Tissue damage and subsequent shock transfer are minimal. You are much better off with a traditional-type soft point or other expanding bullet specifically designed for your particular velocity window. For the 7BR, the top performers are the Hornady SSPs (both the #2811 and #22811), the Nosler 120 grain BT and the Sierra 130 grain SSP.

Even JD Jones notes that the X bullets are best left to the higher velocity rifles are capable of. There is one particular book that touted the X bullets are the ne plus ultra for the single shot pistols, but that particular author, now deceased, based his "findings" on heresy and had zero experience with X bullets/single shot pistols on game. And that's the kind of info we don't need.

Listen to the guys who have been out there and amassed loads of real-world experience. They won't steer you wrong...

[ 11-05-2002, 23:50: Message edited by: Bobby Tomek ]

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike,

I would have to agree nearly 100 percent with Bobby Tomek, My favorite load for deer hunting out to 200 yards with the 7mmBR is a moly coated 120 gr Ballistic Tip over 33 gr H-335. Instead of the 7 1/2 primer, I use the CCI-BR4 primer.

I get 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards and a velocity of 2510 fps. The moly coating is what probably allows me to use a grain more powder then Bobby's load and get a bit more velocity, not enough to even consider.

I have used this load on a few deer, whitetail and Mule deer with very good results. The ballistic TIp bullet at these velocities expands very well but also is very controlled and penetrates quite well.

I have also loaded the 140 gr Ballistic Silvertip to 2250 fps with good accuracy but don't feel this bullet weight allows enough velocity from expansion out to 200 yards which the 7mm BR shoudl easily do.

The 120 gr bullet is a much better match for this small case then the 140 gr pills.

Good Hunting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<IKE>
posted
Thanks much for your help gents, it's good to get replies from fellas who have, "been there done that".

I'll pick up a pound of H335 and a box of 120's this week.

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 29.5 grain of H-4895 with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip with good results.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote