New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom TC (Pic)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hopefully, a picture of my Vern Juenke Custom TC. 1:8 twist Shilen.260 VJ caliber(222 Mag case expanded to 6.5)  -

[ 06-15-2003, 00:22: Message edited by: Melvin in SC ]

Posts: 198 | Location: Greenwood, SC, USA | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Melvin, cool looking contender.. What application did you build it for? Hunting, silhouettes, other? How does it do at 100 yards with those iron sights?

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Built it for IHMSA competition.It will shoot into about 1 1/2 inches at 100 meters from Creedmore, with the iron sights.
Melvin

Posts: 198 | Location: Greenwood, SC, USA | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
That is a nice lookin set up. Is that barrel screwed into the lug/old barrel??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
If what Mike said is correct (barrel screwed into old lug/barrel) it sure opens up the possiblities--talk about switch barrel guns- [Big Grin] -WOW- switch barrel, barrel. Switch barrel lug with a savage type lock ring, spanner wrench. Look out handi-rifle, 20gauge barrel ($45) into a.... 17 Hornet,416 Taylor, 458 Lott--just need the right extractor. My mind is reeling. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That's a great idea!!!!

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel is screwed into a TC lug.Vern has been making these custom TC's for a very long time, although I believe now, he is only making his concentricity spinner. This is a device used to spin bullets to check for any imbalance.
These Juenke guns lock up so tight. You just barely close the action, and it is like a bank vault.
Melvin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Melvin. I like the two tone barrel,hammer and trigger.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a nice lookin set up. I like the 2 tone effects and also the wood. Just a good lookin set up.

Do you have other barrels that screw into that lug or is it fixed?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
The barrel is fixed into the barrel stub.I believe he uses epoxy on the threads. Also that barrel, lug, is not interchangeable with other barrels.In his accurizing, he clamps the barrel, lug, hard into the frame. He then jig reams the frame pivot hole, and the hole in the barrel lug. Then he fits an oversize, tapered pin. It's very hard to press the pin out. Seems he believes, as does Mike Bellm, that a good fitting pivot pin is essential to great accuracy in the Contender.
His TC's ruled the Unlimited class in IHMSA shooting in the state of Nevada back in the mid to late 80's.
I shoot a mild load in this gun, get around 1950 fps with a Norma 130VLD bullet.Plenty more horsepower available, but it is not needed in silhouette.
Thanks,
Melvin

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hi Melvin, Thats what i figgered. I personally dont care for the removable barrel thing that i have seen several times. I would just as soon remove the whole lug, barrel and all.

Did you have this built or purchase it recently?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I bought this gun from a fellow silhouetter. it was originally in 270 cal. I had the Shilen barrel put on.
I tried to sell it recently, but not many people were interested. It is definitely a specialty pistol.
Thanks,
Melvin