New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metaloy
 Login/Join

<Headstamp>
posted
About a month ago I sent my 14" Braked 358 Bellm Contender barrel to these guys for plating.

Just got the barrel back the other day and have to say they did an excellent job. This barrel had a Teflon finish that I had applied about a year ago by a company who shall remain nameless and was never very much impressed with it. From the start, the finish began to come off around the muzzle end and the port holes in chunks. It was also very susceptible to solvent attack, especially solvents like Crud Cutter and Brakleen but also some standard bore solvents. Always noticed "black" coming off on a rag when I wiped the barrel down after cleaning.

A call to Steve Davis at Metaloy about it had him say it wouldn't be a big deal to get off but would take a little extra time to make sure it was in fact fully removed before plating especially around the port holes and such. Had to be abrasive blasted off. I stripped the bolt and extractor and other parts from the barrel to save him some work also.

Only "problem" I had was when the barrel arrived back home, there was some surface rust in the bore. However, it may have been partially my fault for not using a very good rust inhibitor in the barrel before sending it out to Metaloy. They plug the barrel before dipping anyway. I gave him a call to let him know what happened and he said it should brush out. I think I alerted him to this problem in the future at any rate. The barrel cleaned out fine with some JB and I have learned that, should I send them another barrel, I will give it a good coat inside with a "grease" type preservative as a further precaution.

All in all, the job is better than I had hoped for owing to the chore of removing the old Teflon coating for which it cost me $5 extra for a grand total, including return shipping, of $40.

Hell, that'll break the bank. [Wink]

PS- Mike's muzzle brake looks awesome with the hard chrome finish running into the ports to the inside of the brake chamber.

I believe they also do Blueing work. Steve is what I would call a southern gentleman with a very mild phone manner, at least to this "Bronx Buffalo" [Big Grin]

Regards

[ 07-19-2002, 01:05: Message edited by: Headstamp ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
HS, Sounds like a good metal job! Can't believe it cost so little--$40 total! Do you know it they have a web site? If not, would you mind sharing their phone number/address? Someone help me here, but was Metaloy the name of the name Mike Bellm has recommended for metal finishing? [Confused] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Gary,

Metaloy
Attn. Steve Davis
3430 Hwy. 143
Berryville, AR 72616

PH- (870) 423-4225

No website

They normally charge $35 including return shipping for a Contender bbl with minimal prep work needed. Strip the parts off it if you can yourself but am not sure if it matters. Makes things and parts easier to keep track of. Ask him.

Yes, Mike recommended them to me.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that SSK-Khrome is what they called Metaloy when SSK used them for plating. I don't know who does SSK's plating now.

Like Ray said, the price is hard to beat, and, yes, Steve is a quiet, hard working, down to earth gentleman. His is a small shop, and he does most of the work himself.

In my opinion, from all I have seen over the years, I look at work done by employees and apprentices with a jaundiced eye. But this is what you get in the larger shops. Don't mean to be expressing prejudice here, but I do feel you are going to get better workmanship when the principle of a shop is the one doing the work instead of one of his hourly minions.

Granted, one man shops are very limited in what they can produce, of course. But if you want the best, I feel it is better to search out the smaller, lesser known shops where you get more for your money. Metaloy is in a little rural town where the overhead is quite low. Again, more for your $$.

Ref. the rust in the bore. It may have occurred in transit or storage before it was plated, but I do feel that anything leaving a shop should be given at least a cursory cleaning and rust preventive treatment. Hopefully Steve took this as a "heads up" and it won't happen again. He is a conscientious individual.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Do you know when Metaloy used to do the "SSK Krome" for JD? I'm curious because the one Contender barrel I have that would best benefit from a plating job is my 6.5 JDJ w/ the "SSK Krome." The finish has not held up very well, at all. At $35, I'd be interested in contacting Metaloy, unless of course I end up w/ the same plating job that I got from SSK that has disappointed me...... [Confused] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Gary,

How long ago was it plated? Have you contacted SSK about it?

I have a 35 Rem barrel that I had SSK plate for me back in 1991 and it has held up extremely well. This is one of the first 12" Hunter bbls with the small port hole Muzzle Tamers.

As Mike said, the current owner took it over from someone else but I don't know when that occurred. I think it all is in the quality and thoroughness of the metal prep.

One thing I can say is if the current guy Steve could get all that Teflon/Parkerizing junk off my most recent barrel,and have it look this good, he must be doing something right. (grin)

I was pleasantly surprised as I expected him to have some real problems with it.

FWIW

Regards