Find
Notify
Tools

DVH 7mm TCU strikes again
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
I've grown rather fond of this 15" Van Horn Contender barrel and chose it for a hunt this morning. I took a spike whitetail buck at 70 yards.

I generally do not like neck shots, but the conditions were perfect, and the accuracy of the barrel makes such a shot rather easy.

The 120 grain Hornady SSP/tipped, which leaves the muzzle at a little over 2400 fps, dropped the 2.5 year-old buck on the spot and left a wicked exit due to the impact of the spine and resulting secondary bone fragments.

I hope to use it at lest one more time this season, which ends next weekend. I have a 6.5 JDJ barrel due to arrive tomorrow, and I told myself one of these has to go. But which will it be?

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby my Van Horn 7TCU came in Friday. I'm waiting for some Lapua 223 brass to make cases and then to the range. Wondering what powder you use for yours. In the past I have used H-4895 mainly for accuracy. I had a deer load several years ago with 120 gr Nosler's and AA2015.

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby the check will be in mail tomorrow for brass and dies. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-

Thank you...

I use H335 almost exclusively in the 7TCU and most .223-based wildcats. As for as accuracy and velocity, H335 always seems to perform best overall. The charge I am using is 30.5 grains under the Hornady 120 grain SSP/tipped (the #22811, not the lead-tipped #2811). Primers are Rem 7 1/2, the only primers I use in the small bore, high intensity wildcats.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby have you ever tried any N-133 in 7TCU? I get such good results in the 223 I believe its worth trying.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-
Yes, I have -- but not extensively. I got excellent acuracy but could not reach my velocity goals at safe pressures.

But N-135 will get you closer to where you need to be if the Vihtavouri powders are your preference. It does quite well in the 7 TCU, and I could probably live happily ever after if I had no other powder for the TCUs, but its availability in my area is quite limited.

ANd, for me, the track record of H335 is pretty impressive.

<Headstamp>
posted
Bobby is this the new SST polymer tipped bullet or the SSP (Single-shot pistol) bullet?

I'm starting to gather that the new SST Hornady's are working well in handguns.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It is the Single Shot Pistol bullet with the polymer tip (#22811). The SSTs don't do quite as well at this velocity level as they are a bit stouter and create less tissue damage, although they do make a nice mushroom in test medium. However, as we all know, test medium and flesh are two different ballgames.

The 120 grain Hornady SSP is tough to beat...

[ 12-30-2002, 06:33: Message edited by: Bobby Tomek ]

<SD Handgunner>
posted
Bobby, do you know if Hornady is producing their 130gr. .30 Caliber SSP bullet in a Tipped version also ? I am awaiting the arrival of a .30-30 Ackley Improved Super 14 from SSK, and might want to try them if they are available.

Thanks

Larry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry-
If so, I have yet to see it. I believe the 6mm and .30 cal. SSP versions still have the conventional lead tip. Not sure why the 7mm polymer-tipped version was introduced (and the original version kept), but I certainly like the results...

<Headstamp>
posted
That almost sounds like a stouter version of their V-Max bullet with the Red Tip.

Thanks for the info, Bobby. Was totally unaware of the poly tipped SSSP. I have the other lead tipped jobbies in 7mm.

Regards