Notify
Tools

Field Rests
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Check out this link > http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/SniperSaddle.html

Very interesting. I though of using a rest like this the other nite while chuck hunting......

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
 -
 -

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I made a setup sort of like that, but with an "owl ear" sandbag on top. I use it less and less every year.
Truth is, shooting off my pack is a MUCH more steady rest.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey mike make two of them [Wink]

Posts: 43 | Location: pa | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I made a setup sort of like that, but with an "owl ear" sandbag on top. I use it less and less every year.
Truth is, shooting off my pack is a MUCH more steady rest.

The pack that i use does not have a frame and therefore does not offer much in the way of support. I am considering this for varmint hunting and think that it would be excellent. I used a field rest, that is very similar to this, and made the longest shot with a handgun yet a couple of weeks ago!

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My pack is just a polar fleece pack with no support. For winter hunting in the snow (where I really don't want to get low behind it on the ground) I used to use one of those small folding camp stools. Put the pack on that and have the best rest ever.
I stopped using that when I made the tripod rest. The tripod has the advantage of adjustable height (and leg lenths) for uneven ground or sitting in odd positions, but in terms of steadyness , the pack and stool win hands down (the tripod "sways").
The alloy tripod sways and twists. My old steel one would probably be rock solid, but heavy to hump.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote