New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best "CHEAP" scope and from where?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gonna get either a new 10" or 14" 22lr bbl for my Contender. What's a good inexpensive scope to top it with? I've thought about a 4X Swift - $84 from EA Brown, a Simmons Pro-hunter - $94? from Midsouth, or Bushnell Trophy 2x6x32 from D&R Sports for $141. Any others? If so then from where.

BTW, the 22 will be used for Tree Rats, Plinking, and some informal target.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be the Trophy. I have 6 of them. From 22mag to 444 Marlin and all are still going strong.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Trophy. Have one on my Striker 308, and have had no problems.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a NC Star. I have a 4x32 lighted reticle that I have on my Striker 243Win. No problems yet. Glass is clear. Light gathering is about like my Leupold 2x. I don't think I would put it on a hard kicker,but for a cheap scope they work good. They have a lifetime warranty.
I got mine from CDNN [800-588-9500] 2x20 - $30, 2.5x30 - $35, 2.5x30 lighted reticle - $40, 4x32 - $45, 4x32 lighted reticle - $50. I hear they also make a verible. Hope this helps. Lone Hunter

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
No recomendation, but stay away from BSA. I picked up one to try, and the parallax moved over a foot in any direction at 100 yards.

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
if fixed power is what ya want check into the weaver's ive got 2 4x ones one on 44mag and 45/70. jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few Simmons Pro-Hunters and they've held-up well. One is a 2x on a .416 JDJ and it's taken dozens of rounds without incident.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
you fellers better check out the NcSTAR that lone hunter mentioned. i have one too and it's great on a 22/45 ruger auto. it's a 2.5x30 and it works great so far. really cheap in price but performs much better than the price reflects. and i'm also shootin 3x12 burris scopes [Eek!] . they make a 2x7 model that someone needs tp try on a big thumper to give a report on how it does [Big Grin] . they are in the $50-$60 range [Eek!]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KYODE:
you fellers better check out the NcSTAR that lone hunter mentioned. i have one too and it's great on a 22/45 ruger auto. it's a 2.5x30 and it works great so far. really cheap in price but performs much better than the price reflects. and i'm also shootin 3x12 burris scopes [Eek!] . they make a 2x7 model that someone needs tp try on a big thumper to give a report on how it does [Big Grin] . they are in the $50-$60 range [Eek!]

Dang KYODE,
I was fixin' to order a Trophy, now ya'll really got me thinkin' about the NC Star. Where are they made? Eastern Block Country? What about tunnel vision and parallax? Eye Relief?

[ 05-15-2003, 20:17: Message edited by: Alpo ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with oldfart about BSA scopes.I tried rifle target scope a real piece of junk.Its so cloudy you can't see much and it will not hold zero.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NcSTAR.com, The company is in California. The box says China. So far I am real happy with mine.

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked my 4x,The eye releif is about 7" to 14". I shot a 50 yard 3 round group of .420" with it last time out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Here's the address for the NC Star scopes at CDNN, although they apparently don't carry the pistol variable.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/newcentury.html

Here's the address for the pistol variable at the NC Star home page, although no specs listed.
http://www.ncstar.com/Product/03-PISTOL%20&%20LONG%20EYE%20RELIEF%20SCOPE/030005-SPB2732B.htm

I agree w/ KYODE in that I'd like someone to try out the 2-7X variable and give a report. [Wink]
Gary T

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to blow up another...er....i mean, ah....try another scope on one of my thumpers! The 405 or 444 would make it a short test if it is junk.....

Where is it the cheapest? Do these things have any kind of a warranty?

The last one that i took apart i purchased from Midway and they stood behind it, cost me nuttin but shipping! LOL!

[ 05-16-2003, 08:40: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i think they have a lifetime warranty. check e-bay and cdnn. i'm not sure which is cheapest. when do we get to find out if they hold up to those monsterous handcannons you're shootin? [Big Grin] be sure and let us know the minute you start the project, and if they stay in one piece. [Big Grin]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be happy to blow up another...er....i mean, ah....try another scope on one of my thumpers! The 405 or 444 would make it a short test if it is junk.....

This started out as a cheap scope for a 22. Nobody said any thing out mounting them on artillery pieces.
Mike, you may want to wear a face mask for this one.

[ 05-16-2003, 21:25: Message edited by: Lone Hunter ]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Hunter:
This started out as a cheap scope for a 22. Nobody said any thing out mounting them on artillery pieces.
Mike, you may want to wear a face mask for this one.

LOL! How is the clarity and eye relief for possible use as a 22lr scope??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Here is a llink that was sent to me http://www.crankyfarmer.com/ .

Price of the black (matte?) is $38 bucks?!?!?!?!

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSSmagnum:
Here is a llink that was sent to me http://www.crankyfarmer.com/ .

Price of the black (matte?) is $38 bucks?!?!?!?!

Not sure that i REALLY want to mount a $38 scope to the 405! [Big Grin] May just buy one to check it out....and may go ahead and blow it up!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I have try a Nc Star 2-7 on my 358 win Competitor pistol and is doing fine I'm going to put one on my 45/70 and see how it works I will let you know. It will be next week be for I can get to it

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is the clarity and eye relief for possible use as a 22lr scope??

The eye relief on my 4x is 7" to 14". The clarity is real good. I have a hard time telling the difference between it and my other more expensive scopes. If you want a cheap scope on a lite caliber give them a try.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dustin:
I have try a Nc Star 2-7 on my 358 win Competitor pistol and is doing fine I'm going to put one on my 45/70 and see how it works I will let you know. It will be next week be for I can get to it

WOW, kinda surprised that it is holding up!! You just dont/cant expect much from a $38 scope.....

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
bought one today from e-bay for $58 shipped. it's the 2x7x32 model. i already have the 2.5x on a 22/45 that works great. i might be able to live with less than perfect for that price [Big Grin] i may just have to get a new barrel to set under it. hmmm? maybe 30-30 Ackley Improved. i missed a bid on one a little cheaper at $40. got out bid by $2 [Razz]

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I have fired around 350 shot of 150gr at 2684fps and about 100 225gr bullets in this 358 Win with that 2-7 Nc Star scope and it is doing fine I will let you know when I put a 4X on my 45/70 and see how it work out I will fire 100 round of 300gr bullets at 1997fps to test this scope

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, what is th eye relief likeon the 2-7? Is this more like a shotgun scope? Just makes me wonder, the way they worded an ad I saw they said it was popular for the scout type rifle.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i think it's supposed to be 7"-17"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a 2x7x32 NC Star for $38.00 at www.crankyfarmer.com [Eek!] [Big Grin] Mark (The cranky farmer!) seems to be a good guy. I guess we really started something. He said he's beginning to get quite a few calls on NC Star pistol scopes.

Incidently, I just bought the last factory 10" SS .22 match barrel from D&R Sports. It seems the 10" barrels are getting pretty scarce [Frown] I hope it shoots good. Couldn't pass up the price.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I will be testing the 2-7x32, 4x with red dot and 4x pistol scope aline with the 3-9x40,3-12x50 and 6-24x5 rifle scope this weekend we are using a 45/70 for the pistol scope and 338 Win.Mag and 375 H&H Mag for the rifle scope will let you know how it go. If they work out I will be saling them on my wedsite at www.dustinbrass.com

[ 05-24-2003, 08:24: Message edited by: Paul Dustin ]

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Well here is my report we shot 120 rounds of 45/70 this load will push a 300gr bullet at 1997fps from a 12" BBL. We shot 40 rounds for each scope all the scopes pass with flying colors. The only thing we seen was on the red dot scope the dail loosen up but this would be due to I was using a T/c do o mount and there is very little room to move the scope and it was hitting the mount. I think these scopes will do fine on just about any pistol you put them on. The rifle scope pass to we shot 90 rounds in the 338 Win. and 100 rounds in the 375 H&H. we shot about 60 rounds with each scope on 2 gun and when we got done all the scopes work fine not bad for a cheap scope.I have 3 pistol scopes to sale new in box I have 1 4x32 for $34.00 + shipping and 2 2-7x32 for $38.00 + shipping.If you would like to buy one e-mail me at gunner7243@yahoo.com

[ 05-27-2003, 19:06: Message edited by: Paul Dustin ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a NC Star 2X20 on my S&W 22A, then put it on my new Savage Striker 501. Was so impressed by it that I bought a 4X32 with the reddot last weekend. Been too busy to try this one out yet.

Posts: 29 | Location: Del City Okla | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote