New
Find
Notify
Tools

307 Win Imp. in a contender using 300 Savage data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am seriously considering having my 14" Bullberry contender barrel in 7.62x39 (.308 bore) 1:10 twist rechambered to a 307 Win. Improved. I would use 300 Savage data.

Anyone shoot a contender in a 300 Savage? What are some of your favorite loads?

Thanks,

7-30 Waters

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello 7-30 Waters. I don't think you'll be able to get your proposed rechambering done since the contender isn't designed for the kind of pressure your new caliber will generate. I had the same problem when I tried to have a 45 Colt contender barrel rechambered to 454. If you have to have this chambering I believe you'll need to purchase an encore. Good Luck
Timor

Posts: 6 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 18 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a cartridge I call the "Thirty Something". I took a 14" 30 Herret barrel and ran a 300 Savage reamer in .10" short. I use 307 brass in a set of 300 Savage dies that I shortened .10". I load 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over a load of Vit N140 to 2400 FPS and I've been shooting this set up for a few years. Taken a few deer and a nice bear with it. The interesting thing is the barrel was a real DOG as a Herret, but as a "Thirty Something" it is amazingly accurate.

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jabradyjr
posted Hide Post
7-30 Waters,

Here is a link to the 307 Win Improved and the 300 Savage Improved in a contender.

.30 Caliber Rechamber

Check it out!

Posts: 115 | Location: St. Louis, MO. | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder's .30 GNR has about the same case capacity as a .300 Savage. I had my 30/30 Contender rechambered by Gary, and it's been an all around positive experience.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote