New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand/power scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought an Encore pistol in 7-08. I have not yet sellected a scope. I am thinking about a Weaver 1.5-4 power. I have their 2 of their K2.5 rifle scopes and have been quite pleased. I am unsure of their variables on a gun that will kick like this one. Leupold are ok, I hate the $400 price tag and not sure they will give better than Weaver at 200y or less.

Any input on brand and power appretiated.

Posts: 50 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that JD Jones touts the Simmons variable as his choice for the bigger kicking handguns. I'm sure it is pretty reasonable as well. Personally, I'd consider the fixed power Leupold & Burris offerings (2x & 4x) on a heavy kicking hunting handgun. If that is an appropriate power for your expected usage then they offer great durability and reasonable price (not to mention great support).

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2 or 4 power is a good choice. Personally, I would go with a 4 power fixed or Burris 2-7 w/ Ballistic Plex. I prefer the variables for their versatility, but I have used fixed powered scopes with success at the same time. The 7-08 was the second cartridge I ever had chambered for a specialty handgun. Enjoy!

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Aye, I'd go with a 4x or more. The Leupold's are hard to beat in a fixed power scope. In a variable, I'd preferably use a Bushnell 2-6x, the Weaver 2-8x, or the Burris offerings.

When they were available, the Tasco WORLD CLASS 30mm tube pistol scopes with A/O were great, and I still have a few that I use in fixed 4x and fixed 7x. You can find these on Ebay from time to time, and for quite reasonable prices for the quality of these custom shop scopes.

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simmons? I went to there web sight and couldn't find one. I know they and Weaver are owned by the same co. Did they convert the line over to Weaver?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it was the Simmons 2-6 variable...

Simmons handgun scopes

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie in TX,
I have a 4x-12x Burris on a 7-30 Waters. Your 7-08 has more range than the Waters. You will be surprised at how much you will use the higher powers--especially when shooting from the bench. The lower powers are good for hunting in thicker stuff or closer ranges. My opinion--You can't have too much 'scope. Good-luck...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey, Charlie---I have the .308 15" bbl---pretty close to your setup---I settled on a 2.5-7 T/C lighted reticle scope--tried some others, --- the lighted reticle is there when you need it and is a standard reticle when light is bright. The magnification and eye relief are fine for deer out to 300 yds----your gun is capable to that range with a good rest.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it the Burris 3x12 is excellent. If not I like the Bushnell 2x6 although I'd like a little more magnification for the 200 yard shots.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
my 15" 7-08 is currently wearing a 2.5x8 leupold that i found used for decent money. it's a nice scope, but i wouldn't give 4 bills for one new.
before that..... it was wearing a 3x12 burris. if ya can go 3 bills, they sure are very nice. on 3x they have as much field of view as any other maker, but 12x is really nice on the bench too. $300+
for maximum field of view on close range shots.....i love the 2x7 burris. 21' wide at 100, when on 2x. big help for eastern woods! i use the 2x7 on my 30-30AI. $250+

i had a TC 2.5x7x28 that i liked really well at one time. the simmons 2x6 is cheap, and does not have much field of view, but so far is taking my 14" 44mag pretty good.

the simmons.....bushnell will keep a constant eye relief thru all powers. kinnda arms length
the burris.....TC scope will shorten up in eye relief as you crank up x's. this is fine for me, and i find it lends itself well with varying shooting positions.
shewww! it's good to have options, but it's rough choosing just one

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In variables I have use the 2x6x32mm Bushell Trophy Handgun Scopes, 2.5x7x28mm T/C Recoil Proof Handgun Scopes, and the 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scopes. Of these about the only one I would consider purchasing again would be the 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scope, as in my opinion it was the best of the bunch.

I have come to believe that quality in optics is a must. Currently I have 3 variable magnification Handgun Scopes, a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Matte Black Handgun Scope, a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Plex - PA Matte Black Handgun Scope and a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Fine Plex - PA Handgun Scope with Target Turrets. In my opinion these are about as good as you can expect in a Handgun Scope today. They are quite user friendly, have generous fields of view, and offer a crisp, clear sight picture.

Don't skimp on optics, you'll regret it at some point down the road. Yea I know that is easier said than done when funds are tight, but you'll not regret the decision.

SD Handgunner

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In variables I have use the 2x6x32mm Bushell Trophy Handgun Scopes, 2.5x7x28mm T/C Recoil Proof Handgun Scopes, and the 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scopes. Of these about the only one I would consider purchasing again would be the 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scope, as in my opinion it was the best of the bunch.

I have come to believe that quality in optics is a must. Currently I have 3 variable magnification Handgun Scopes, a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Matte Black Handgun Scope, a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Plex - PA Matte Black Handgun Scope and a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Fine Plex - PA Handgun Scope with Target Turrets. In my opinion these are about as good as you can expect in a Handgun Scope today. They are quite user friendly, have generous fields of view, and offer a crisp, clear sight picture.

Don't skimp on optics, you'll regret it at some point down the road. Yea I know that is easier said than done when funds are tight, but you'll not regret the decision.

SD Handgunner

I could not agree more. I went the cheaper scope route. In the end it cost me more, because I ended up putting better optics on them. I currently have Weaver, Burris or Leupold on my handguns. Now Bushnell does make a good scope. I had one on my 454Casull for over 500 rounds. I then moved it to BFR in 500MAG. I have to go sight it in. I want to see if it will hold up to the 500MAG. If not I will put a Leupold back on it. I would not even consider a Simmons on any of my pistols. "I was told a Leupold is for life."

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simmons dropped a large part of their pistol scopes when Blount bought Weaver.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First my reason to not get a Leupold. I was loyal to Leupold on my rifles when I needed varible powers. When they changed their warrenty policy (even though it was only for a couple of days) I realized Leupold may not be loyal to me. I will buy something other than Leupold.

Ok, I have a 'scope rule'. Don't buy cheap. I have waisted money on deer leases because I made poor shots with poor optics. Penny wise pound foolish rings a bell. I have had good luck with my fixed power Weaver rifle scopes. I will not get a Weaver variable for something as critical as hunting. I do like my Lupold variX IIIs, see above. I will spend the few extra bucks and get a Burris 2-7.

So now a Burris question. Is the posilock worth the extra $20?

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
I haven't had one with posilock. As I remember reading about them on the forums it was not a desirable feature. Maybe others will jump in.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-12 Burris LER Bal. Plex with Posi-Lock on a center grip XP chambered in 7.82 Patriot. I have never used the Posi-lock feature on it yet, and I have had no problem with keeping my zero. I thought I needed it, but now it is a wasted feature for me in the cartridges I use.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently own 7 burris scopes, only one with the posi-lock. It is mounted on my 44mag SBH. I do use the posi lock because their scopes with this feature have one bias spring as opposed to two on the scopes w/o it. That particular gun hasnt been rezeroed since I got it back from the custom shop with the exception of changing loads once about 5 years ago.

http://burrisoptics.com/posilock.html

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Bushnell Elite 3200 just because its super easy to get the field of view.

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Ark, I like the matte finish on your SBH. Fill us in on cost, etc.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is some sort of a moly coating (can't remember exactly what) that was done over the entire gun after one of my former "buddies" took it out of my truck to look at while at our camp. After he got done doing whatever he was doing, he left it out on a table overnight in the pouring rain (never have i seen so much rust accumulate so fast on any gun). The next morning, after I had enough cooling off time that he could talk to me, he offered to have it reblued but the gunsmith I chose showed me this coating which he claimed to be weatherproof. It's been about 10 years and so far, so good. If I remember correctly, the cost was around $80.00 including spraying the base and rings, which are actually stainless underneath.

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
check out www.thegungarage.com .......i bet drdoolittle could do something like that. he also does full camo, and stainless simulated finishes in Duracoat.

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of rjrobb
posted Hide Post
Hey Ark,

What is that scope mount? Can you share with us who makes it? It's got two twist-ins and one windage adjustable standard ring. Neat setup.

Thanks,

Joe

Posts: 411 | Location: CO | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Quote:

check out www.thegungarage.com .......i bet drdoolittle could do something like that. he also does full camo, and stainless simulated finishes in Duracoat.

Interesting finishes! I am very tempted to get him to re-finish a Colt Series 70 1911 target pistol I have. Anyone here ever had him do work? How is his turn-around time, and quality?

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rjrobb, that particular base and rings are from Redfield. When I decided to get all my work done to this gun, the Redfield setup was highly recommended by other SBH owners so I decided to give it a try and I havent regreted it. From what I gathered prior to mounting it, the other setup on the market that was stronger is SSK's T'SOB. Thanks

posted Hide Post
For my money I will spend the extra $100.00 and buy the Leupold. The only problem has been the long eye relief. When they say 18 inches they mean 18 inches. I have never had a problem with them. Even the one that I had the parallax changed on for my 22 Long Rifle Super 16. Which by the way only cost $16.00. If I have any complaints it would be the lack of higher magnification and adjustable objectives in their pistol scopes. If you want to pay the money less often you can try removable mounts. My buddy has them on his 45-70 Contender and has had 0 problems. Slim

Posts: 19 | Location: Randle, WA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote