Find
Notify
Tools

Please correct my ignorance 6.5X50R Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
OK, why haven't "we" figured out a way to get some decent 22X50r brass into the US.

We know what is good, and what is NOT so why can't someone arange/find a source in Europe and just buy it?

Am I making this too simple?

Nosey folks just wanta know!

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC, As the proud owner of a wonderfully accurate VVCG Contender barrel in 6X50R Bellm, I share your frustration regarding the lack of available good/acceptable 5.6X50R brass. A few folks have found ways to be get small quantities of the aforementioned brass (I believe made by RWS and possibly once-shot) for their personal use; but, I don't think anyone's undertaken the task of obtaining said brass on a larger scale. I'm sure someone could do so if they have the time, energy, and motivation. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting someone to take on this project, as well. As to your question re: shipping lead bullets to Europe, I have NO idea about the legalities (or is it illegalities...). Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesHirtenberger.html
They sya they've got Hirtenberger brass, but it's almost $70 per 100!
Bill

Posts: 83 | Location: Mascoutah, IL | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks, but I bought #100 of the HP brass from Huntington's for $38 when I first got my barrel. Wasn't pleased w/ the quality of the HP brass then and now it's $32 MORE expensive. A number of guys that frequent here were not pleased w/ the HP brass... Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where in Europe do you think you could get it? I travel there 4-5 times a year (military reasons). If it's legal to bring some back I will if I can find it, but places to look would be helpful. Probably be June before I go again (Italy, Spain, Greece this time). I'll ask folks to look for it before I get there.

Here's a link for a place called Outdoor-Source selling the ammo (about $14 a box of 20), go to ammo and them Sellier and Bellot. Maybe he can give you a source for the brass (800) 713 1658

http://www.outdoor-source.com/index.html
Bill

Posts: 83 | Location: Mascoutah, IL | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&B USA told me they were going to import the brass, beginning about a year ago, but I haven't seen any of it yet (but haven't looked to hard).
Neck thickness was the problem with the Hirtenberger brass. If you have a bushing die set that is not a problem, but with normal dies there is not enough tension to hold the bullet in place.
Vincevo has shipped some brass to US I believe. Don't know where he is at.
As for getting it in Europe, once fired RWS brass would be the best bet. Otherwise I would bet it would cost well over a $1 each, probably more like $2. Huntingtons used to have once fired RWS brass for $50/100 on occasion.
If someone finds a good source of RWS brass, post it here so I can get some.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HB,
I don't know where in Europe to tell you to look for the brass. .. I couldn't remember the name until I read Rob's post, but I do recall reading on the' net about "Vincevo" getting some (once-fired?) RWS brass for some guys a while back.

Rob,
Like you, I've read many times on the 'net that S&B was going to start importing brass, but have yet to hear of anyone seeing any. Seems like I first heard of it about 2 1/2 years ago, then again about 1 year later. Both times, they were to start importation in a few months. At one point, I sent S&B an e-mail, but don't think they ever responded. I've sent an e-mail to HB's above referenced source for S&B loaded ammo to see if they have access to any S&B brass.

In the meantime, I'll just makedo w/ the small # of HP and (even smaller) RWS brass I have. Should be ok w/ that unless I ever get into a really good pd town! To bad the brass is not more readily available as it should make a really good parent brass for a number of Contender cartridges. Gary T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some once fired 5.6x50R RWS Brass from Huntingtons. It has been at least a year since I did. They do not list it on their site or in their catalog. You have to call them and ask if they have any. Their phone number is: 530-534 1210.

Outback

Posts: 119 | Location: Highland, IN USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Late breaking news, both good and bad....
GOOD NEWS--Just spoke w/ Huntington's and they NOW HAVE RWS virgin brass in 5.6X50R!!
BAAAD NEWS #1---Price is $22.98/20 (Yes, that's a box of #20, NOT #100... And yes, that's brass only, NOT loaded ammo..)
BAAAD NEWS #2---He's no longer able to get once fired RWS 5.6X50R brass from Europe. Said it's been "Impossible."
BAAAD NEWS #3--Outdoor Source does not have access to S&B 5.6X50R brass.
Gary T.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Gary,

There was a time when I was charged $22 per 20 for 7.65 Argentine brass. That was 1972!!!! I feel your pain!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote