Find
Notify
Tools

NW KS PD Hunt Report, long
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I�ve been remiss in that I�ve not given a report on my NW Kansas prairie dog hunt 4 weeks ago, so here goes. �.
The hunt went well, but there�s no way to make the 16 hour drive fun�..
Weather was very uncooperative, but that happens. [Roll Eyes] I think we would�ve seen more dogs and shot more rounds had the weather been better. For the most part, the weather was cool, very cloudy, and very windy. The shooting was cut short early the PM of the 1st day when the guide spotted a tornado in the distance! [Eek!] That has a tendency to grab a guy�s attention. The equipment was packed up a LOT faster than it had been unpacked. My number of rounds shot---
Day 1, 63 (all 15� XP-100 22 BR)
Day 2, 124 (all 22 BR)
Day 3, 66 (split evenly between 14� Contenders in 6X50R Bellm VVCG barrel and 223 Rem T/C factory barrel); this was only � day hunt as the other guys in the party decided to head home and not shoot in the PM.
Admittedly, I was too picky w/ my shots day #1. In addition, I had a great deal more difficulty getting on target the days #1 and #2 using the 10X Burris IER scope on the 22 BR because of it�s very narrow FOV. I was a lot faster day #3 w/ the Leupold 2.5-8X on the 6 mm and the Burris 3-12X on the 223.

Other observations:
1. I�d almost forgotten what a blast pd hunting is! I�ll not wait as long for my next hunt.
2. The guide generally did a good job, especially for only $100/day. The price included putting us up in a decent ranch house (w/ full bathroom facilities, linens, and a game room) and providing 3 meals/day.
3. I was REALLY impressed w/ the 6X50R Bellm and the 75 gr Hornady V-Max bullet. [Big Grin] Not only did it buck the wind much better than 22 cal bullets, but unlike w/ 22 cal bullets, on hits inside 200 yards, there was NO doubt to me, the shooter, that I had hit the dog. W/ pistols and their scopes, that�s not usually the case.
4. Although the Burris 10X IER scope is a very nice scope, I found the Burris 3-12X to be a MUCH better scope in the field due to the variable power, larger FOV, and higher magnification. [Cool] I like this scope a lot. I�ll probably retire the 10X from field use and relegate it to bench use.
5. Inside 200-250 yds, the 40 NBT bullet produces much more dramatic hits [Eek!] than the 50 gr Blitz and 50 gr NBT.
6. B-Square treated me right. At the end of day#2, I lost the rubber foot from the B-Square bipod on the 22 BR. When I got home, I sent them an e-mail asking how I could buy a replacement part. They said it was a warranty item and would send it to me @ no charge! I had it w/in a week. [Big Grin]
7. I hated I didn�t get to shoot my 257 JDJ, but I had planned on using it PM day#3 as it was very windy.
8. I hated I didn�t get to shoot my 12� 221 Fireball, but I had sight-in problems w/ it. I still think it�s an ideal �walk about� Contender round.
9. One of the rifle hunters on the hunt shot the 40 gr Barnes Varminator extensively and was very pleased w/ both accuracy and results in the field. [Smile]
If anyone�s interested in contact info for the hunt, let me know. He also guides pheasant and mule/whitetail deer hunts. Now, if I can just find a way to sneak off to NW TX in the next few months, I�ll contact my PD guy out there! After all, I�ve still got a bunch of rounds loaded and ready to go! Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great time Gary! I am jealous, LOL! [Big Grin]

I too have taken a liking to the 3-12 Burris but i like it the most on 10x. Eye relief is not nearly as critical as 12 and the FOV is larger.

Thanks for the report!!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Gary
That was a good read this morning.Thanks. I would like to get out & try that someday.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great time.
Maybe in a year or two I can get some of you guys a dog shoot (probably a 2-3 day hunt Friday-Saturday or Thursday-Saturday) in western Kansas without you having to pay guide fees. Unless you want to pay me for my good looks. Naw, then I would owe you guys money. Of course everyone would be responsible for their own lodging and food. I have to see what I can work out if there is enough interest.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Ernie
If you are seriously going to look into it, I would be interested. The thing that would do it for me would be knowing long enough in advance so I could make arrangements. I would love to make that trip & shoot as well as meet some of the others from the forum that live closer to that area. Please keep us informed.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great time. PDs are both fun and challenging, especially with handguns.

Did you get to assess the wound cavities produced by the 75 grain V-Max? I've been shooting these and the 65 grain Berger HPS in a 22" 6mm TCU, and the accuracy from both is top-notch. But the V-Max does seem to be visibly more authorititive on the few skunks, 'possums and armadillos I have taken with it.

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
XP Hunter I will come to a PD shoot. I don't live all that far. As Jake said set up a time and away we go. It would be great for some members of the forum to meet and shoot PD's