New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bellm 250imp range test
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll try to make this short. For all who don't know, this was a SS Contender, 20" bull Douglas barrel from VVCG. It was a 25-20 rechambered to 250imp. by Mike Bellm. Mike also did a new crown and replaced the locking bolts for a better lock up. He also formed 200 rounds of brass from 307win. for me.
All my range test were done at 100yds. except for scope sight in. I won't list these. Also, all todays shooting was barrel brake in. Weather was light rain off and on with no wind at all. Temp. was around 62. I'll list these in the order I shot them.
BTW,Great job, and thanks for another great barrel Mike [Wink]

Hornady 87gr. SP, 38grs. RL15 and Fed 210 primer
3 shots in .270" at 2961fps Hot load, I would say Max for this barrel.

Hornady 87gr. SP, 36grs. H4895 and Fed 210 primer
3 shots in 1.250" at 2971fps. Too Hot...primer flat and sticky extraction. But! Check out the next load.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 37grs. H4895 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .525" at 3015fps. Primer OK, no sticky extraction.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 42grs. H414 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .620" at 2956fps.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 38grs. RL15 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .750" at 2948fps.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 37grs. AA4064 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .235" at 2710fps

Nosler 85gr. BT, 41grs. WW760 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in 1.000" at 2816fps.

Sierra 87gr. SP, 41grs. WW760 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
5 shots in .750" at 2806fps.

Sierra 87gr. SP, 43grs. IMR4831 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
5 shots in 1.092" at 2813fps.....4 shots was .500"

Sierra 87gr. SP, 39.5 IMR4350 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
4 shots in 1.040" at 2612fps...... 3 shots was .640"

Nosler 100gr. BT, 39.5grs. H414 and WLR primer
5 shots in .950" at 2735fps.

I had more loaded but the rain got the best of me. I also got to shoot my 14 7/8" Bellm 222 with the Simmons 8x32x40 riflescope on it,in handgun form. Plenty of eye relief Sean [Big Grin]
I only had 10 rounds of Nosler 40gr. BTs with 22grs. AA1680 and a CCI BR4 primer with me. Took 3 rounds to get the scope right and then printed a .250", 5 shot group at 100. I was having trouble at first with the lock up of this 222 barrel and frame [Frown] . The Leupold mount was making contact with the frame and I had to file some off the mount. Also, It's so damn tight there's NO gap between the barrel and frame. If I slam it shut it works OK. This isn't the frame I used with this barrel the last time I had it out. It works OK on my other frame [Big Grin] .
I'll be sending all of todays targets to Mike Bellm.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Jules,

Great shooting [Big Grin]

Those barrels sound fun! We shall have to get togather sometime this spring and shoot Woodchucks with your Bellm chambered .222 and my Bellm chambered .223 [Smile]

I am currently trying a 6.5-20X Leupold EFR target scope on some of my barrels, and plan on putting this on the Bellm .223 for some real fun [Big Grin]

BTW, glad to hear that the 8-32 had enough eye relief for you on the .222 - I had wondered if it would. My Tasco 10-40x50mm had enough on the .223, but just barely [Eek!]

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, Love to get out there and shoot some chucks.
The Leupold should work great for ya. With no sun today I had to shoot at 20x. It wasn't bright enough above that.
It will take some gettin use to. I have always used LER scopes on handguns. Most of the time with one hand. It took me a couple of shots to figure it out, but now I got it down.
I grab the back of my wrist of the hand that's holding the grip with my other hand. That will steady my shooting hand and keep that scope outta my face [Big Grin]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Quarter Miler>
posted
Morning Jules,
Your data sounds very close to the 16.25" of mine,the barrel I'm using is not custom version and sounds as if the lenght is an option for some, the velocities differ very little.

If you are a LRHA member, you should have received a newsletter from Wes, this would be a very good article to start a E-Mag. I would like to try something if interested and have the server space and we have the bore maker to contribute his info if needed or willing. I had this barrel at the clinic in NE. Something to start the 2003 season out with.

Just a thought!
Later

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Miler:
Morning Jules,
Your data sounds very close to the 16.25" of mine,the barrel I'm using is not custom version and sounds as if the lenght is an option for some, the velocities differ very little.

If you are a LRHA member, you should have received a newsletter from Wes, this would be a very good article to start a E-Mag. I would like to try something if interested and have the server space and we have the bore maker to contribute his info if needed or willing. I had this barrel at the clinic in NE. Something to start the 2003 season out with.

Just a thought!
Later

Hi Paul, I didn't join yet. But I will.
That sounds like a great idea on the E-mag though.
This seems to be a great round for the contender. I would think if someone wanted just one caliber for the contender as an all around gun from varmints to elk size game that this would be it.
I'm thinking the Barnes X bullets in 85 or 90grs. would cover the larger animals.

6.5mm or 7mm in the imp. version on the 307 case???? I don't really know, but it sure sounds good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules,
REF. what you wrote in regard to the tight lock up:

"I was having trouble at first with the lock up of this 222 barrel and frame . The Leupold mount was making contact with the frame and I had to file some off the mount. Also, It's so damn tight there's NO gap between the barrel and frame. If I slam it shut it works OK. This isn't the frame I used with this barrel the last time I had it out. It works OK on my other frame .
I'll be sending all of todays targets to Mike Bellm."

Jules,
The gap has nothing to do with how tight the barrel locks up UNLESS it is really hitting hard on the end of the barrel when you close it. And if it is hitting hard on the end of the barrel, all I have to do is face off about .005" from the end of the barrel. No big deal at all. In fact, in rechecking one of my barrels today, knowing that my frame is a bit longer from hinge pin hole to breech face than some frames, instead of leaving it with a .001" gap, I faced off .005" to give a .006" gap.

You will note on many of the factory barrels a semi-circle pattern worn into the blue or stainless finish on the ends of the barrels, just above the chamber. These barrels will register "no gap" when tried with the feeler guages, but still lock up normally.

Once in awhile a barrel WILL be too long from hinge pin hole back to the end of the barrel, enough so that the barrel does not drop down into the frame far enough for the bolts to engage into the frame, which COULD be the case with the .222 barrel. But if there is no wear mark on the end of the barrel, it is then the height of the locking bolts.

I make the barrels with the locking bolt slot on the high side and hand fit each barrel. You can always remove material in the right places to make a barrel fit right, but if it is loose, there is little recourse but to scrap it.

Do the ink test on the locking bolts to see how far they engage into the frame. If it is not engaging up past the "U" notch in the locking bolts, then the bolts need to be lowered, either by installing a set of factory 1x UNDERSIZE locking bolts or by removing material from the top sides of the locking bolts where they engage the frame.

Instructions on the online store are still "forthcoming," another way of saying I have not gotten to it yet.

I guess I could make 'em more like you are used to where they just drop in and lockup, then shake and rattle at the hinge to boot. But I don't think you would like that either. [Eek!]

If I need to make the barrel fit freer, let me know after you do your home work.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules,
I just gleaned through all my old website files and could not find the .250 Imp. data that Blaine Eddy worked up back in '88. I'd have sworn I entered the data to post on the site, but cannot find it.

Referring to a paper copy, Blaine called 44 gr. IMR 4831 maximum with a 90 gr. Sierra bullet. You mentioned in an email wanting to go to 43 gr. So long as the barrel unlocks easily and you get no sign of difficult extraction, you might go on up. Use discretion of course. He was showing just under 3,000 fps. from a 20" barrel I made.

Another thing to remember is that Blaine was using standard .250 Savage brass, which is thinner. You are using much thicker .307 Win. cases which reduce the chamber volume on one hand, but on the other hand also permit somewhat higher pressures due to the thick brass containing more of the pressure load.

I know there is a difference, but I have not had a chance yet to verify just what the difference is. My bud, Howard, jumped his loads a bit when he went from standard brass to .307s, but I do not recall by how much. Also, he is shooting a 1-14" twist, which probably behaves differently than the faster twist barrels.

Back when I was making .250 Savage and .250 Savage Imp. barrels, I deemed making cases from .307s to be too much work and had not yet come to realize just how much more "frame friendly" the .307 cases really are.

And I am still learning.... [Wink]

Now..... all I have to do is get my own .250 Imp. barrel made and actually do some shooting with it instead of spending my weekends loafing a little, then still putting in most of a days work each day. Something is wrong with this picture.

Mike

[ 11-18-2002, 11:47: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
I'll try to make this short. For all who don't know, this was a SS Contender, 20" bull Douglas barrel from VVCG. It was a 25-20 rechambered to 250imp. by Mike Bellm. Mike also did a new crown and replaced the locking bolts for a better lock up. He also formed 200 rounds of brass from 307win. for me.
All my range test were done at 100yds. except for scope sight in. I won't list these. Also, all todays shooting was barrel brake in. Weather was light rain off and on with no wind at all. Temp. was around 62. I'll list these in the order I shot them.
BTW,Great job, and thanks for another great barrel Mike [Wink]

Hornady 87gr. SP, 38grs. RL15 and Fed 210 primer
3 shots in .270" at 2961fps Hot load, I would say Max for this barrel.

Hornady 87gr. SP, 36grs. H4895 and Fed 210 primer
3 shots in 1.250" at 2971fps. Too Hot...primer flat and sticky extraction. But! Check out the next load.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 37grs. H4895 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .525" at 3015fps. Primer OK, no sticky extraction.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 42grs. H414 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .620" at 2956fps.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 38grs. RL15 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .750" at 2948fps.

Nosler 85gr. BT, 37grs. AA4064 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in .235" at 2710fps

Nosler 85gr. BT, 41grs. WW760 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
3 shots in 1.000" at 2816fps.

Sierra 87gr. SP, 41grs. WW760 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
5 shots in .750" at 2806fps.

Sierra 87gr. SP, 43grs. IMR4831 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
5 shots in 1.092" at 2813fps.....4 shots was .500"

Sierra 87gr. SP, 39.5 IMR4350 and Rem 9 1/2 primer
4 shots in 1.040" at 2612fps...... 3 shots was .640"

Nosler 100gr. BT, 39.5grs. H414 and WLR primer
5 shots in .950" at 2735fps.

I had more loaded but the rain got the best of me. I also got to shoot my 14 7/8" Bellm 222 with the Simmons 8x32x40 riflescope on it,in handgun form. Plenty of eye relief Sean [Big Grin]
I only had 10 rounds of Nosler 40gr. BTs with 22grs. AA1680 and a CCI BR4 primer with me. Took 3 rounds to get the scope right and then printed a .250", 5 shot group at 100. I was having trouble at first with the lock up of this 222 barrel and frame [Frown] . The Leupold mount was making contact with the frame and I had to file some off the mount. Also, It's so damn tight there's NO gap between the barrel and frame. If I slam it shut it works OK. This isn't the frame I used with this barrel the last time I had it out. It works OK on my other frame [Big Grin] .
I'll be sending all of todays targets to Mike Bellm.

Jules, that is only 3 out of 11 groups going over an inch! Anything under a half inch is quite interesting, and groups in the 2s..... well, that is outstanding. Good Shooting, Jules! [Big Grin]

Thanks for putting the barrel through its paces.... well done. Glad to see it is in deserving hands!

Must be that lucky coon bone you were chewing on.

Thanks again.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
Jules,
REF. what you wrote in regard to the tight lock up:

"I was having trouble at first with the lock up of this 222 barrel and frame . The Leupold mount was making contact with the frame and I had to file some off the mount. Also, It's so damn tight there's NO gap between the barrel and frame. If I slam it shut it works OK. This isn't the frame I used with this barrel the last time I had it out. It works OK on my other frame .
I'll be sending all of todays targets to Mike Bellm."

Jules,
The gap has nothing to do with how tight the barrel locks up UNLESS it is really hitting hard on the end of the barrel when you close it. And if it is hitting hard on the end of the barrel, all I have to do is face off about .005" from the end of the barrel. No big deal at all. In fact, in rechecking one of my barrels today, knowing that my frame is a bit longer from hinge pin hole to breech face than some frames, instead of leaving it with a .001" gap, I faced off .005" to give a .006" gap.

You will note on many of the factory barrels a semi-circle pattern worn into the blue or stainless finish on the ends of the barrels, just above the chamber. These barrels will register "no gap" when tried with the feeler guages, but still lock up normally.

Once in awhile a barrel WILL be too long from hinge pin hole back to the end of the barrel, enough so that the barrel does not drop down into the frame far enough for the bolts to engage into the frame, which COULD be the case with the .222 barrel. But if there is no wear mark on the end of the barrel, it is then the height of the locking bolts.

I make the barrels with the locking bolt slot on the high side and hand fit each barrel. You can always remove material in the right places to make a barrel fit right, but if it is loose, there is little recourse but to scrap it.

Do the ink test on the locking bolts to see how far they engage into the frame. If it is not engaging up past the "U" notch in the locking bolts, then the bolts need to be lowered, either by installing a set of factory 1x UNDERSIZE locking bolts or by removing material from the top sides of the locking bolts where they engage the frame.

Instructions on the online store are still "forthcoming," another way of saying I have not gotten to it yet.

I guess I could make 'em more like you are used to where they just drop in and lockup, then shake and rattle at the hinge to boot. But I don't think you would like that either. [Eek!]

If I need to make the barrel fit freer, let me know after you do your home work.

Mike

Easy there Hommer [Big Grin]
I did the felt tip test and had to remove a couple thousands off the top of the locking bolts.
Piece a cake with the EZE lap [Wink] . Barrel locks up fine now. As my felt marker now shows a scuff mark just ahead of the V notch in the lugs. Don't have to slam it closed anymore.
Heck Mike, I was just testing to see if someone else was going to give me the answer [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules, that is only 3 out of 11 groups going over an inch! Anything under a half inch is quite interesting, and groups in the 2s..... well, that is outstanding. Good Shooting, Jules! [Big Grin]

Thanks for putting the barrel through its paces.... well done. Glad to see it is in deserving hands!

Must be that lucky coon bone you were chewing on.

Thanks again.

Mike[/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet the groups over an inch was my fault and not the load. Next time at the range i'll taylor my loads and won't pick a rainy day to do so. [Smile] I just wish I could pick the days I go to the range instead of just going when I can [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
you guys are killing me.

Mike - i have the directions for the testing, just swamped right now and havn't had the contender out of the safe.

Will be trying around Christmas when I take my daughters on our annual predator hunt. :-)

steve

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good man, Jules. You do pay attention!

Standard locking bolts would have been ok on your frame, apparently, but I would 10 to 1 rather put out a barrel a little tight than the least bit loose. You can always loosen them up.

1buba, maybe by Christmas, if you can stand that much fun, just maybe we could finish out your barrel and mine if your boss will let you take off that is. I'll let you test fire it, even. You still have that bear tag, you know. And I have a turkey call [Wink] .

I have not talked to Blaine Eddy for awhile, but he was talking about coming up here when his concrete biz season is over. If you want to learn about predator hunting, he is about as good as they come. He is the one who worked up the .250 Imp. data published in The Custom Contender Chronicle way back when. The test barrel ended up in the hands of a friend of his, Lloyd ____?____ who used it extensively for big game and varmint hunting.

I dare say that if anyone can call in a bear or lion, Blaine is the one to do it. Killing you? You aren't dead yet, are you? Leave a spot open if you can.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now this is a real bummer. I sent Mike all my shot up targets, and even though I wrote all the load data in my load book....I forgot to write what one of them it was sighted in for [Roll Eyes] . Now that was dumb!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and now you have to go back and shoot some more! Don't you just hate that?

If you have notes on the targets, maybe I can help when they arrive.

And thanks for sending them, btw. I appreciate seeing what barrels do.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 11-21-2002, 02:13: Message edited by: Jules ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
Yeah, and now you have to go back and shoot some more! Don't you just hate that?

If you have notes on the targets, maybe I can help when they arrive.

And thanks for sending them, btw. I appreciate seeing what barrels do.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
They are all marked with the load I used. I believe all my shots were at the center bull but i'm not for sure. I was lookin for group size and not bullseye. But I remember a few loads that were close enough for 100yd. whitetail work.
I know I had a couple about an inch or 2 high but they were center.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Hey Jules & Mike Congrats to the both of you on excellent work! Jules for the shooting & Mike on the barrel work. You guys know how to get people going with results like that! [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote