New
Find
Notify
Tools

1,000 yard shoot with Specialty Handgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If any of you have an interest in going to a 1,000 yard shooting using a specialty handgun please let me know.
The range in Pella, Iowa is opening their shoot for handguns. I have made plans to shoot at the September 11, shoot. If this is of interest to you, please let me know. We may have enough guys to have our own relay.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Ernie,

I wonder if my 18" VVCG 8 twist 6mmBR barrel would push a 6mm bullet fast enough to stay supersonic to 1k?

There are people that shoot the 6mmBR cartridge at 1K with rifles... right?... Hmmmmm.... I don't even have it yet. I think Jeff Stratton welded the lug on it this week... hmmmm......

What kinda crazy scope would you use for 1K handgun shooting?

I have a couple of 3-12 Burris Ballistic Plex's but somehow I think they'd fall WAY short.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the specs on the 6BR off-hand, but yes they are used in F-class and in Light.
I have a 36x Leupold BR "D" series that has been converted by Wally Siebert to a 20 x LER handgun scope.
I also want to get my hands on a 24x Sightron rifle scope in that it has an eye relief of 4.33 inches.
12x power is a lot better than 6 or 7 power. The hunter class shoots 100 & 200 yards with a 6 power and shoots incredible groups. You might be surprised what you could do with a 12x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well $bob$ if you look at my avatar you will see a 15" group shot at 1,000 yards with Ernie's xp-100 in 284 with a 3 x 12 burris. Works fine. BTY that was a left handed gun ( I am a righty) and was the first time I shot it.

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my avatar will not show here

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be there. I am hoping my 338 Lapua IMP will be done for the shoot just needs to be chambered.
Eric

Posts: 59 | Location: mi | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There will be an 18 inch maximum barrel length for the handgun class. If you had a 18 inch barrel and the brake made it longer the brake is not counted against you. One peice bases like the Bower Rest will be able to be used (at least during the first match).