Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Single Shot
 Login/Join

posted
I recently picked up some of these .30 bullets in 135gr.
will be shooting them out of a 30-30 16"bbl and wonder
about your pet loads and or experiences with them.

Posts: 3 | Location: plainfield | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Fireball>
posted
I use them Very accurate in the Herrett. Not sure I would hunt with them over the 125 grain flat point though. I think in my Herrett the velocity is better suited to the flat point 30-30 bullet or the 110 round nose.
With your 16" barrel Might work well for deer
My Herret is a 10" tube.
Fireball

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Junglework
I shot a good amount of those bullets out of the 300 Whisper & I found that pressure showed up quicker than other bullets & because of that I wasn't able to reach the velocity I was hoping for. They were accurate though! If I had a different cartridge to work with they might not be that bad. They expanded Ok at the velocities that I was ble to reach with them. Perhps you'll be able to do better with them in the 30-30 Barrel.

I think I have some left I might just try them in the 308 Bellm just for fun!!! [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball>
posted
Rich....What was the velocity out of the Whisper?
I just assumed the Herrett was not fast enough to expand them.
Fireball

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Fireball
I wasn't able to push them much more than 1800 & change. In theory I should of been able to reach the 1900 fps mark but was not able to get there.

Maybe I could push them fast enough with the 308 Bellm? I don't really know.

I still have a slug that was tested for expansion. I just don't have a camera to take a picture of it to show you.

I think that it might be good in the bigger 30 caliber cartridges where you can obtain enough velocity. I would have thought the 30 Herett would be big enough to do that.

Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball>
posted
It might be fast enough. I have never chronoed the Herrett....I was just assuming. I shot my Chronogragh right through the heart!!
I need to send it in for repair.
I think the Herrett and the whisper are almost on par as far as velocity?
Fireball

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Fireball
The Whisper & the Herrett are almost the same as far as velocity is concerned. You may be able to get 100 to 150 Fps more. Which would be good enough for that bullet. [Smile]
Rich Jake

[ 02-16-2003, 17:24: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]