New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Therepy (A story)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ahh..Life is good. Went out this morning and spent some time on the 50 yd range popping 44 bullets outta my little ruger carbine, then I spent about 100 rnds at the 10 yd range with the 9mm and since I didn't have any pressing business, decided to go down to the long range (100yds) and shoot a few 38-55s.
Contender, 14" bull, 7x tasco with a prototype B.R. Forend.
I picked up an inexpensive front rest last week so I took it along to try out also.

I was shooting a new (to me) load with 19gr. of H4227 with a 245gr cast bullet, WLR primers.

Popped off 5 slow easy shots but could not see the holes. I thought well shit I'm missing, there were 5-6 other guys shooting and i didnt want to bug them yo-yoing back and forth to check my targets so I dinked around until they were ready to break and change out targets.

I walked down in my "I'm shooting lousy humble gait" and lo and behold 5 shots clustered in about 1- 1 1/2" in the black, 3 were obviously in one big hole.
What was so great is the target next to me looked like it was hit with a shotgun or, like mine USUALLY do.

Now I'm a good guy and don't make fun of other peoples bad groups, I looked at the guy next to me and then at my target and said
"Jeez" I need to practice some more.

One thing, if you shoot a Contender or any longrange type handgun. Get your self a set of electronic hearing protection. I have a set of pro-ears and they work great, you can hear them boys muttering 50 yds away [Razz]

Yep, I'm going out again tommorow and everyday after that until my hip/leg is better and I can go back to work. Recoil, it is good therepy.

P.S. Den aka. LRHA SHOOTER the rest you got coming works great with the proto BR forend with a bag setting on the leg that faces you.
You'll see what I mean when you get it. I think one of my pantleg bags will be perfect on this, I'll let you know and take a pic so these guys here can see it too.

Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KTS1:
P.S. Den aka. LRHA SHOOTER the rest you got coming works great with the proto BR forend with a bag setting on the leg that faces you.
You'll see what I mean when you get it. I think one of my pantleg bags will be perfect on this, I'll let you know and take a pic so these guys here can see it too.

Wes:

Wasn't thinking in that line, I have another shooting rest system idea that I wanted the light weight rest for. Do the PT Fore Arms fit the rest cradel, and how much overall height travel is their? The .308 Bellm should be back next week. I got a hanger bar and fitted the PT Fore Arm for it and am having a friend of mine glass bed the hanger bar for me, as he has done it before.

I will keep you posted.

Posts: 94 | Location: Watsontown, PA. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do the PT Fore Arms fit the rest cradel, and how much overall height travel is their?
Yes they do, and if I'm reading you right there is plenty of OA hieghth travel for our purposes. I am looking into a little smaller cradle, kind of custom fitted to this forend.
I got a hanger bar today, did you cut a groove in the channel of your F.E. for that? Does it work?
I'm going to call you this weekend if your going to be home. I think its my turn anyway.
Wes

[ 07-18-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: KTS1 ]

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KTS1:
Do the PT Fore Arms fit the rest cradel, and how much overall height travel is their?
Yes they do, and if I'm reading you right there is plenty of OA hieghth travel for our purposes. I am looking into a little smaller cradle, kind of custom fitted to this forend.
I got a hanger bar today, did you cut a groove in the channel of your F.E. for that? Does it work?
I'm going to call you this weekend if your going to be home. I think its my turn anyway.
Wes

Wes;

I don't know that is a good thing, being able to read me, most people get sever headakes doing that!

Hangerbar is a Pacmyer, and I used common hand tools to inlet it into the PT Fore Arm. Hand drill, Dremel tool, hand chisel. A hand router would have made the job much easier, but not everyone has one. All modifications sofar can be done buy the average guy with average tools in his home shop. Hopefully, everyone will be able to have a custom bench rest style fore arm to his own taste, and personal liking!

Saturday is the best for me as Karin works 9 AM to 7 PM. [Big Grin]

Posts: 94 | Location: Watsontown, PA. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote