New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 mag Long
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 10" Contender barrel that the chamber is too long. With 44 Mag brass I can't even come close to reaching the lands with the bullets crimped in the grooves. Accuracy is so so.
I have some 445SM brass. I trimmed one down to 1.365 and it is just flush with the end of the chamber. Thats .080 longer than the 44 Mag brass.
Now to the ?, Would it be worth the effort to trim some 445SM cases down to get better accuracy and maybe some more velocity. Or is the .080 jump to the lands not that big of a deal in a 44Mag. Thanks for the replies, Lone Hunter

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but if I were you, I would just seat the bullet to where it is just off the lands and don't worry about crimping.

I have never crimped my 44mag in a contender and have had great results as far as consistent accuracy and velocities. Especially using hard cast bullets.

Plus by seating the bullets out some, it will allow you to shoot more and trim less.

Good Shooting,

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though you can get a longer case into the chamber, you cannot readily tell for certain where the full diameter of the chamber ends and the forcing cone begins. These abortions do not have a throat like the older vintages did, only a .4" long forcing cone.

If you get the loaded neck diameter too large for the corresponding point of contact at the beginning of the cone, you can constrict the case mouth and jack pressures up badly. It can be done ok, but since the majority of shooters cannot determine headspace let alone the actual chamber depth, I strongly suggest you follow HBL's advice and simply seat bullets out.

If you are shooting a powder that perhaps needs some crimp, crimp into a lube groove if cast lead or consider a taper crimp die.

BTW, by seating bullets out, you can create almost as much capacity as is normal for .445 Super Mag.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone,

Why don't you do a chamber cast? That should tell you everything that you need to know.

Mike's right about the chamber length, but I've never heard of it as "forcing cone", except as applied to revolvers. "Throat" is more appropriate, IMO. Again, a chamber cast should tell you what you need to know.

Regards, Bill

Edited - Mike, I see what you are inferring now - you can't really call it a "throat", more like a forcing cone?...

[ 05-14-2003, 22:51: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
Mike's right about the chamber length, but I've never heard of it as "forcing cone", except as applied to revolvers. "Throat" is more appropriate, IMO.

Apparently you haven't looked at the chamber of a new TC 44 mag barrel........"forcing cone" is the perfect description!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gon, We were typing at the same time?...

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
I like, "Funnel" myself. [Big Grin]

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I will have to think on it. Hmm, May be a rechamber?
Lone Hunter

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Hunter,
Keep us informed, I've got a 14 inch hunter with the forcing cone and am happy to keep groups with my 300 grain LBT WFN GCs down under 6 inches...which sucks considering my 629 classic will shoot them into an honest 3 inch group...from a revolver. I too have considered trimming down the .445s, I've yet to try the extremely long seated bullets and don't have much time right now. Please let me know how you do. If this doesn't work off it goes to ebay land and I'll save up for a VVCG 12 inch 44!!!

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg,

My first 44mag was a TC barrel that wouldn't group for squat. And I tried everything. That barrel turned out to be just as you describe but also had a bore diameter of .440 +/-

The barrel I now have is a 14" BBL made for me by Mike Bellm and this thing with the exact same bullets you are using, will bore clover leafs at 50 yds and hold 1-1/2" groups at 100yds with full power loads.

Yours may be suited for what I felt mine was at the time......use it for anything that need prying or banging on.

Anyway, a custom barrel will do you much better.

Good luck and good shooting,

HBL [Smile]

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got to looking at my 44 mag barrel. Mine dose not seem to have a forcing cone. The chamber is straight untill the last 1/16" or so that appears to taper to the lands. Is this what every one is seeing in there barrels or is my barrel different?

one of us
posted Hide Post
HBL,
thanks for the advice, I did measure mine and it is an honest .430, but I understand the .440 issue. I think it's off to ebay land with this barrel and into one of the cheaper (are there any?) 44 mag custom barrels.

Lone Hunter,
What you describe is what my barrel has, a long sort of rough looking funnel form case end to rifling starts....

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headstamp:
I like, "Funnel" myself. [Big Grin]

Regards

LOL! [Big Grin] I have had several barrels over the years with the "funnel", most all of them shot fairly well. My custom barrels are chambered on center and have real throats and they REALLY SHOOT!! [Big Grin] I guess it all depends on who was operating the "drill press" that day at the TC factory as to how much "funnel" you got! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote