New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scratch the Encore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought another blued Contender with a 10" 32mag bull barrel. Damn I love these things. [Smile]
I guess the big frame will just have to wait.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Jules
I can't believe it! [Roll Eyes] Your too much.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I told ya Rich. If I wait too long for something, i'll get something else.
Well....it don't matter. Christmas is just around the corner and i'll throw some hints at the wife and daughter. Together they should be able to come up with an Encore. [Wink]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules
I'll give ya $50 for the 32 pea shooter to put toward your Encore.
[Wink]

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Jules,

Let us know how your 32 does! You should have much fun shooting spitzer bullets in the H&R, as well as taking squirrels with factory ammo!

I have often thought of doing a 32 on a 14" barrel for a medium bore low recoil varminter [Big Grin]

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
What made my mind up about buying another contender was that Mike B. wants the barrel for his batch of 30s that he's doing. So I won't even get to shoot it as a 32mag. This frame will be matched up with the VVCG 6x45 barrel that nobody wanted to buy [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might as well get that .32 headed this way, Jules. Your .250 Imp. will be wanting to leave here Monday!

CNC Cartridge is crying for more .30 Bellm barrels, and I hate to hear grown men cry.

Lucky for those still waiting for the last of the backlog cleanup here.... welding lugs to barrels got held up waiting for different welding rod. Translation: Working on backlog.

Hopefully someone in Illinois will "blood" that .32 after I pump it up to a .30 Bellm.

All the best. Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
[QB]Might as well get that .32 headed this way, Jules. Your .250 Imp. will be wanting to leave here Monday!

Don't wait for me Mike! You send that baby on it's way. [Big Grin] I won't have the 32 for at least 10 days. I'll pay ya now if ya want and i'll worry about the 32 latter.
Heck, I still might be able to get that 1/4 bore ready for this years hunt [Wink]
BTW, Don't forget the brass and size die [Smile]

<Rezdog>
posted
I recently picked up a .32 H&R mag 10" barrel (a stub barrel) at a gun show for $40.00! (includes Weaver mounts). I keep thinking about going to .32-20 (.308-20) and am aware of the nice Bellm options. I'm going to shoot it as a .32 H&R for awhile, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rezdog:
I recently picked up a .32 H&R mag 10" barrel (a stub barrel) at a gun show for $40.00! (includes Weaver mounts). I keep thinking about going to .32-20 (.308-20) and am aware of the nice Bellm options. I'm going to shoot it as a .32 H&R for awhile, though.

That's awesome. I used to see barrels all the time..[not just 32mag] for 50 to 100 bucks. Flea markets, yard sales, gun shows and even in local class ads. Now that there's e-bay,gunbroker, auction arms and others, there going for more $$$ used,then they cost brand new. [Roll Eyes] Darn shame.
It used to be a good option[in your case still is] to get a used barrel and have it rechambered to something else. But now that prices are so high on factory barrels ya might as well just go custom.

<Fireball>
posted
Now that there's e-bay,gunbroker, auction arms and others, there going for more $$$ used,then they cost brand new. Darn shame.

I agree jules! Why are people spending so much for used barrels? When I want a factory barrel I just buy from Ed and it is always as good as the price for a USED barrel on Ebay.

Fireball

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can figure is they have no idea what a new factory barrel costs. The worst is they don't even know what shape it's in till they get it. What gets me is alot of these only have a reserve of 100 to 125 bucks and are still going for $175 or more.
I passed on a like new TC custom shop 21" bull, 22lr match in blue with a Leupold mount and rings and a black stock and forend for a buy it now price of just $200. That was a great deal and I screwed up and didn't get it. It wasn't even on there 10 mins. but I could have had it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
[QB]Might as well get that .32 headed this way, Jules. Your .250 Imp. will be wanting to leave here Monday!

Don't wait for me Mike! You send that baby on it's way. [Big Grin] I won't have the 32 for at least 10 days. I'll pay ya now if ya want and i'll worry about the 32 latter.
Heck, I still might be able to get that 1/4 bore ready for this years hunt [Wink]
BTW, Don't forget the brass and size die [Smile]

That .307 Win brass formed into the nicest .250 Savage Imp. cases you ever saw as formed, with a 40 degree shoulder. No dents or wrinkles anywhere. No fireforming needed, and I did it with just a shortened 7mm-08 Rem. size die and my RCBS .250 Imp. size die. I did not have your decap stem, so I formed with my die.

Your Redding die checked out well with the two .250 Savage Rem. factory rounds I test fired with. Need to run a few cases made from the .307s through it in the morning, crown it, finish deburring the cases, and pack 'er up. This is going to be a nice outfit. You will have to find something else to shoot in place of the 200 fireform loads you were expecting to HAVE to do.

I don't think the .250 Imp. data is on the website, and I need to talk to 1buba about it. I am 95% certain I hand entered it and had it up on the site at one time before I bailed out and turned the site over to 1buba. Push come to shove, I should have the files somewhere.

Meanwhile, treat it like a standard .250 Savage until you get a good feel for how much hotter you can go. Definitely DO NOT use data meant for bolt action rifles in it, such as the data in Ackley's books.

Get ready. Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,
I guess I must be loosin it. I got the Contender today and it's a 32-20 not 32mag. I think Mike knows this but I told ya'll wrong. Sorry.

The blued frame is very tight with no marks of any kind. The barrel is very nice and has only lite frame rub marks. Bore looks great and the barrel goes on it's way to Mr. Bellm in the AM.