Find
Notify
Tools

When to get new ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
How long would you carry ammunition in a personal defense gun before shooting it up and buying fresh? I bought some hornady xtp's last year around this time and they have been in my XD ever since. Is it time to renew?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally keep it for a year or so. It certainly should retain integrity a lot longer than that.

I load my stuff hot in my .45 for practice, but I like to run several rounds of carry ammo through the pistol occasionally. I also change magazines once every week or ten days.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not a bad idea to change out carry ammo once a year.

However I have shot ammo that is over 20 years old, some of it a lot older, with out any problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have corrosive primer, military surplus Mauser ammo from Ecuador, dated 1950's with obvious water exposure to the cardboard packaging.

It goes BANG every time.

Cases of "modern" 9mm, 45 ACP, and 38 Spl ammo, factory production and reloads. Some of it is nearly a decade old.

It goes BANG too . . . reads really consistent on the chrono.

The cases and cases of factory trap loads in the warehouse at the club show mfg dates a year or two past.

It goes BANG, every time.

Ammo is pretty stable stuff.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I've had gun oil get into the powder and cause a misfire twice. The ammo was a little over a year old. If you keep your gun soaked in oil (which is not a good idea), you might might want to swap out more often than a year. But once a year should be fine.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I change out my duty ammo once a year at qualification time, but I'm assigned to the jail some I'm not out in the weather. If I was out on the street it would be every six months.

I shot some ammo that got submerged during Tropical Storm Allison w/no problems.

Ammo is cheap compared to life.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
If you are carrying an auto with a round chambered, you should be on guard for bullet set back after a while.
If you continue to chamber the same round off the top of the mag, eventually the bullet will get pushed back into it's case a bit. My Kimber Ultra CDP will push them back quite a bit if I don't rotate the top round back to the bottom. I haven't mic'ed any of them but I had a couple that I didn't feel comfortable shooting off as plinking ammo because the ogive of the bullet was nearing the case edge. They looked like a .45 version of a 9Mak. Since they were +P to begin with, I just dumped them rather than risk it.
My local gun counter/internet mythology club says a patrolman had a failure in his duty Glock when he fired the round he had been chambering all year at annual qual. Sounds plausible for a compressed load.

Nowadays, I make sure the top round gets rotated to the bottom of the mag.

Other than that, ammo is generally only at risk if 1. it has been exposed to moisture, oil, or some other fluid (one of the reasons I think grease is preferable on pistols). 2. there is visable corrosion and/or 3. there is some other visable problem like a case lip burr, a deep ding, or a primer issue.

However, if you carry an auto, it is a good idea to dump all your mags and clean them whenever you clean your pistol. Lint and dirt build up in spare mags. My Wilsons are lint magnets, even in pouches.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you have unloaded it into the suspect lol soory could not resist

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
When Odamnya sends you your stimulus money.... Wink
If he has not taken all the ammo away by then...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the job are policy is once a year We shoot are duty ammo up once a year then use FMJ for paractice the rest of the year. In my personal guns evey couple of years.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a recommendation, but just a story...I bought a 1913 manufactured Colt 1911 that the seller's grandfather had brought back from WWI. He kept 6 rounds in the magazine, and none in the chamber. The gun sat under the front seat of his truck or tractor since he had returned in 1918. I purchased the gun in 1976. The gun was still loaded as it had been for almost 60 years. I shot what was in the magazine, 1918 dated ammo, and everyone of the 6 rounds went bang, and the magazine functioned perfectly. Again, just something I thought I would share.

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep ammo can and does last a long time But does one really want to risk his life to a dollor or two of old ammo. I just shot up 50 rounds of unknow how old or where it really came from 9mm fmj I had 3 misfired rounds out out of the 50.

Good malfuntion drills.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChetNC:
If you are carrying an auto with a round chambered, you should be on guard for bullet set back after a while.
If you continue to chamber the same round off the top of the mag, eventually the bullet will get pushed back into it's case a bit. My Kimber Ultra CDP will push them back quite a bit if I don't rotate the top round back to the bottom. I haven't mic'ed any of them but I had a couple that I didn't feel comfortable shooting off as plinking ammo because the ogive of the bullet was nearing the case edge. They looked like a .45 version of a 9Mak. Since they were +P to begin with, I just dumped them rather than risk it.
My local gun counter/internet mythology club says a patrolman had a failure in his duty Glock when he fired the round he had been chambering all year at annual qual. Sounds plausible for a compressed load.

Nowadays, I make sure the top round gets rotated to the bottom of the mag.

Other than that, ammo is generally only at risk if 1. it has been exposed to moisture, oil, or some other fluid (one of the reasons I think grease is preferable on pistols). 2. there is visable corrosion and/or 3. there is some other visable problem like a case lip burr, a deep ding, or a primer issue.

However, if you carry an auto, it is a good idea to dump all your mags and clean them whenever you clean your pistol. Lint and dirt build up in spare mags. My Wilsons are lint magnets, even in pouches.

+1 What ChetNC said.
Putting that round in a bullet puller and giving it a couple of light taps can bring it back into spec.
Be sure to mic it for proper length.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went 34 years changing out ammo every 30 days. Don't see any reason to change at this point, although my life style is a little less demanding these days. I flop out my ammo every 4 or 5 months. I have 10/12 mags for each auto pistol I own and carry, so when I flop out my ammo, I rotate my mags.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
I went 34 years changing out ammo every 30 days. Don't see any reason to change at this point, although my life style is a little less demanding these days. I flop out my ammo every 4 or 5 months. I have 10/12 mags for each auto pistol I own and carry, so when I flop out my ammo, I rotate my mags.

"Don't see any reason to change at this point."

-- Change what? Change ammo or change behavior?

Your syntax is ambiguous.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

"Don't see any reason to change at this point."

-- Change what? Change ammo or change behavior?

Your syntax is ambiguous.

Laddy,
Either your reading comprehension could use a little work as well, or you just go out of your way to be a d*ckhead. The collective of your posts would suggest the latter.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Laddy,
Either your reading comprehension could use a little work as well, or you just go out of your way to be a d*ckhead. The collective of your posts would suggest the latter.

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I used to teach "reading comprehension" at the university.

The syntax is ambiguous.

I used to change my ammo regularly. I don't see any reason to change my ammo at this point.

I used to change my ammo regularly. I don't see any reason to change this behavior at this point.

Last time I "flopped out" it was to sleep. That might be the term you use -- and that's fine if that's what your interpretive community agrees to use as signification for the process. But I've never heard the term used that way -- which suggests I'm not in your linguistic group.

And I'll forgo my comments about how I feel about being an "outgroup" member.

middlefinger

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
those who can, do
those who can't, teach

and those who have no legitimate defense resort to things like this, " middlefinger"

If you want to teach syntax, I'm sure there is a forum for that sort of thing. If you wanted clarification, you surely could have phrased your need for clarification in a nicer way. We both know your intention was neither meant for teaching purposes, or for clarification, but, rather to make you feel superior by denigrating someone else.
Were you a teacher solely for the purpose of making yourself grander in your own estimation by belittling a captive audience lacking in authority and experience?

this should be a place of learning, curiosity, and relaxation, not the realm of the spelling/grammar nazi

If you have nothing productive to contribute, there isn't anyone forcing you to reply. Be nice.

In response to the actual question about how often to get new ammo, I'd say once a year should be fine assuming you didn't swim a river with the ammo in your pocket.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
those who can, do
those who can't, teach.

NOT a "teacher" . . . an academic. We publish. But that's WAY beyond your ken.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
quote:
Laddy,

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I used to teach "reading comprehension" at the university.

The syntax is ambiguous.

I used to change my ammo regularly. I don't see any reason to change my ammo at this point.

I used to change my ammo regularly. I don't see any reason to change this behavior at this point.

Last time I "flopped out" it was to sleep. That might be the term you use -- and that's fine if that's what your interpretive community agrees to use as signification for the process. But I've never heard the term used that way -- which suggests I'm not in your linguistic group.

And I'll forgo my comments about how I feel about being an "outgroup" member.

middlefinger

If you taught at a University, it shows why the quality of our educational system has suffered. Your academic style is to flip somebody the middle finger or call them a profane name. You are quite the scholar.

Why don't you tell us where you taught. I'am sure it will be fabricated like most of your posts.

Take some deep breaths and think of some good names to call me now.

Get the spell check cranked up.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Having several lifelong teachers in my immediate family, I felt bad about the "can't do, teach" comment, as I know that many teacher are called to their field, and put their heart into teaching.

Having Willy boy admit to being an "academic" explains everything about his undeserved elitist attitude. Furthermore, informing us that his lot "publish" says it all.
Can ya'll see Willy? Bow tie. Tweed blazer, even in summer. Derby cap. Probably likes Broadway shows and vacations in San Francisco. I'm sensing a limp-wristed handshake and a nose raised so high, he'd drown if it rained. He's always maintained to his family that Thadeus, his roommate of 37 years who works in the university library, is just a really good friend.

I'll bet that Willy's lot will have to hire his pallbearers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
back to the ammo thing a lot of good posts, and an online english lesson,
but let me comprehend this, sounds like Willy is roleplaying, maybe a stoont in a drama writing course. playin the grizzled old gunslinger, with issues from the past , some good posts and others where a 12 yr old boy would know better. playin the gun owner who lost a few marbles along the road to vegas.

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having several lifelong teachers in my immediate family, I felt bad about the "can't do, teach" comment, as I know that many teacher are called to their field, and put their heart into teaching.

Having Willy boy admit to being an "academic" explains everything about his undeserved elitist attitude. Furthermore, informing us that his lot "publish" says it all.
Can ya'll see Willy? Bow tie. Tweed blazer, even in summer. Derby cap. Probably likes Broadway shows and vacations in San Francisco. I'm sensing a limp-wristed handshake and a nose raised so high, he'd drown if it rained. He's always maintained to his family that Thadeus, his roommate of 37 years who works in the university library, is just a really good friend.

I'll bet that Willy's lot will have to hire his pallbearers.

Good 'un! He whines, denigrates others and sneers a lot down in the political crater, also. Most have him on Ignore. I do.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
How long would you carry ammunition in a personal defense gun before shooting it up and buying fresh? I bought some hornady xtp's last year around this time and they have been in my XD ever since. Is it time to renew?

I rotate my carry ammunition annually.

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:

The ammo that lives in my carry pistol gets shot up at the end of every month at the end of a pracise session and replaced with fresh after cleaning.

How old is that ammo? some of it more than a decade. but I only let stay in the frearm for a month.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
How old is that ammo? some of it more than a decade. but I only let stay in the frearm for a month.

It'll be difficult to say this without sounding like a smart ass, which I of course am, but what in the world is your reasoning behind this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It'll be difficult to say this without sounding like a smart ass, which I of course am, but what in the world is your reasoning behind this?

Not speaking for Allan, but since I used similar system, perhaps my rational can help you.

The carry ammo was repeatedly handled (inserted into chambers, removed from chambers at the end of shift, etc) and could have been damaged in some way due to the cumulative effects of that handling. The monthly requal (which closely followed the FairBairn & Sykes model) shoot seemed to work out well enough as the time to rotate the ammo. Never a misfire or problem.

I admit it was pretty arbitrary, but it seemed to work well enough, got a lot of people shooting off ammo who would have otherwise not shot from one year to the next, and rotated ammo through the stocks.

That was our rational, anyway.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of the things you get yourself for your birthday...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote