THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone make a single stack 9mm SA/DA?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Call me old fashioned but I like a skinnier gun than what most double stacked magazines are. I also don't feel the need for anything over 7 rounds. Also single + double action with an external hammer.

Ideally I would like something similar to a PPK except in 9mm. Does such an animal exist?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Beretta SB92. compact single stack. I had one, I don't have the ability to carry so I sold it.
Sorry it's really a 92 Type M

Found this, no experience though.
SIG Sauer P225-A1

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S@W 3913

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sig Sauer p239 and p225 A1.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Sig Sauer p239 and p225 A1.

I almost bought the SIG P225-AI, but wasn't even looking for a 9mm. It is very nice.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I think the Nazis are working on something over here in Hitler's Third Reich. Going to be in 9mm Parabellum and they're going to one day call it a P-38.

I think it was made until quite recently by today's Walther company as the P-1. Horrible things both IMHO.

Star, of Spain, may still if in business do something better? But I can't recall the Model. Then, expensive, SA only the Sig P-210 with button magazine release.

But, seriously, the OP's desired single stack DA/SA 9mm is going to be now best found in the back pages of 1960s and 1970s "Guns & Ammo" annuals or similar and sourced secondhand.

Wasn't the same era Smith & Wesson 39 a single stack DA/SA 9mm too? With the 59 its double stack fatter gripped brother?

Unless they are now collector's pistols I guess.. but as "a Brit" don't know... most long established gun shops in the US will have a S & W Model 39 "in the back store" they now find nobody loves?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not single stacked, but I would strongly suggest you try out a Browning Hi Power. To me, they don't have the clunky feel of double stacked mag guns and seem to naturally point well. If you want fancy, consider the Nighthawk upgrade, ain't cheap, but worth it IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Enfield, what I am trying to figure out is what is markedly smaller than the SAR B6P that I have:

This is my first plastic gun, and also my first 9mm. To be honest I was hoping it would be a bit smaller and lighter as if you are carrying this there is really not a "huge" difference between this and a 1911. Plus while this is comfortable to carry in a holster it is somewhat bulky carrying inside a waistband. Anyway I like an external hammer but would like something a bit thinner and it may as well be noticeably smaller too if I am going to buy something to fill a perceived void.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Not single stacked, but I would strongly suggest you try out a Browning Hi Power. To me, they don't have the clunky feel of double stacked mag guns and seem to naturally point well. If you want fancy, consider the Nighthawk upgrade, ain't cheap, but worth it IMO.

Gato,

For a full sized handgun I'm partial to the 1911, but if I had to have a 9mm I've always had a soft spot for the hi power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if you are going that small you pay a terrible price, in 9mm, in muzzle flash and muzzle blast.

Unless there is some low flash law enforcement 9mm ammunition?

So maybe you need to consider the next step down of 9mm Makarov or 9mm Ultra aka 9x18? I don't know if pistols are still made in 9x18 which is a 1970s West German development.

It may be there is a Mauser or Walther, HSC or PP respectively, equivalent or Heckler & Koch model? HK4 with interchageable barrels was it? But no external hammer.

If not then it is "next stop". 380 ACP aka 9mm Kurz. And European makers excelled with these.

Best by far was CZ's superb sixteen shot magazine .32 ACP that was also available in ten shot 9mm Kurz and later 9mm Makarov. But I forget the model number. Maybe someone can help?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless there is some low flash law enforcement 9mm ammunition?

All the major ammo manufactures in the US now make 9mm designed for short barrel 9mms low flash good velocity bullets design to expand.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a full sized handgun I'm partial to the 1911, but if I had to have a 9mm I've always had a soft spot for the hi power.

I'm certainly not attempting to start a .45 vs 9mm discussion, but BHPs are battle proven really nice pistols that have at least 13 rounds available and they carry and point well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the CZ RAMI fits the SA/DA requirement with a single stack. It can be had with decocker or conventional safety, as I recall.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Used S&W 908.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gato on the H.P. although I must say that I m now a big fan of the CZ 75.My interest was piqued when no less than his majesty Jeff Cooper went on + on about it (+it was not a 45!!).That deserved looking into + I have been well pleased with mine.However it is a dbl. stack,no worries for me as I have large hands.The grip platform feels almost like a H.P.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree with Gato on the H.P. although I must say that I m now a big fan of the CZ 75.My interest was piqued when no less than his majesty Jeff Cooper went on + on about it (+it was not a 45!!).That deserved looking into + I have been well pleased with mine.However it is a dbl. stack,no worries for me as I have large hands.The grip platform feels almost like a H.P.

I love my non import stamped CZ-75 I bought in 1993 or so. It fits like a dream and shoots as so. Still miss the HPs I've liked and sold, but back to the original question.

Sig p239 is a great option. Mine is .40 and works great. It's not much bigger than my G43, but weight is sure different. Should you get one, I'll cut you a heck of a deal on a 9mm magazine I mistakenly bought for my .40. I'll do the same for anyone looking for a CZ-75B 9mm magazine I also mistakenly bought for my CZ-75.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: Magazines....

talk to me by PM, how many and how much? Thanks CAT

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best by far was CZ's superb sixteen shot magazine .32 ACP that was also available in ten shot 9mm Kurz and later 9mm Makarov. But I forget the model number. Maybe someone can help?

CZ-82... best buy out there... 12 round mags... really nice double action trigger and single action after the 1st shot.. barrel doesn't move on recoil and it has that funny rifling that HKs and expensive Kahrs have... lost the name... shoots good also... a few years ago you could get one for a little over $200 with 2 mags and the world's heaviest leather police holster... haven't checked lately... to me it's a perfect truck gun... Oh, and women with arthritis can work the slide... It's all steel so a bit heavy. Did I mention, it's double stack... just what you don't want... and it's painted, not blued.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Isn't that what the relatively new Springfield XDE is?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/bl...mm-xd-e-full-review/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL

Springfield Armory XD-e.
Much like a mini 1911.
Can't wait for it in 45acp.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570Forever:
quote:
THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL

Springfield Armory XD-e.
Much like a mini 1911.
Can't wait for it in 45acp.

My youngest son and I just bought an XDe and I really like it! I'm a exposed hammer fan, and the XDe is a nice because it can be carried cocked&locked like the Colt autos. The safety completely disengages the trigger so even if the trigger is pulled with the safety in the "ON" position nothing happens. Once the safety is disengaged the trigger is live, and remains in the single action position for a short and lighter and shorter pull for all
shots.

I also have the earlier XD striker fired 45 Acp But the trigger pull is a ton for the first shot. So hard in fact that it almost destroys accuracy. I'm very happy with the new XDe 9mm, and it is inside my right side waist as I type this post.

If you buy a new XDe and contact Springfield before Sept 1st they will send you two extra magazines, and a kydex holster free of charge.

I only paid $465 for mine and it comes with two magazines a 9 round one, and an 8 round one, and with the offer from Springfield you end up with four magazines, and a holster as well! BARGAIN I'd say!
...................................................................... old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed my my Sig P225 A1, it's compact but doesn't feel like a toy in my hands. I prefer exposed hammers over strikers, personal preference. It also has the same control layout as my other Sigs.

It has been utterly reliable so far, no jamming or ejection problems. I've run a variety of ammo through it, everything fed well. The closest thing to a problem was a few pierced primers with Remington factory rounds. Simple fix, don't use them.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had an orignal German made Sig P225 for years and ran it without issue. It is accurate and feels good in the hand.
As stated above Sig is now making the P225 A1 which is close to the original but magazines do not interchange.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think those star semiauto pistols were single stack double action. I see them in the back of Shotgun Knews for about 400 bucks. Never looked but should be all over gunbroker so you can see pics of the gun, hopefully, that you are buying.

I think it is the model 30 series.

Posts: 10978 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the new issue of American Handgunner. I preused the article but thought about this ad later. I don't recall the mfg.but it was a quality firm.Should be able to google it

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well I went and after some thought decided that I wanted concealability over 9mm so I got a Bersa Thunder "Concealed Carry" in 380:

Fits nice in my hand for the purpose. There are a couple of things that would have been nice if different but no real big deal- it has a magazine disconnector and the safety is a decocker so no condition 1 but otherwise it is pretty much what I was looking for other than it is not a 9.

Meanwhile, I'll look around for a S&W CS9....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still hard to beat a Mauser HSC in 380 (when they are operational) or a Walther PPK;a lot of money but a lot of gun as well.Glad you like your Bersa. Since you mention S+W are you interested in their mod. 442 in .38.That is a sweet revolver + very concealable but it is a revolver. I won't even get in to a pissing match over revolver V/S semi but the +P 38 is on beyond the 9MM + definately the 380.You already know all these things of course;I'm just talking.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Norman,

When someone "knows it all" so they don't have to listen and learn from others, I often wonder when they decided to stop learning- was it yesterday or was it 20 years ago?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on the 442 but I have to say that I've always wanted a model 38, even before I knew what concealed carry was, so whenever I decide to try a wheel gun that's probably what I'll start looking around for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,I hope my comment was not considered offensive as that was not my intention.You being a moderator on a gun forum allowed me to assume you have a wide range of knowledge on firearms. I do agree with your comments + when the day comes that little S+W is hard to beat.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest, in no way was any offense taken. My comment was was more in refernce that no matter how much one thinks they know about something, there is always something new to learn about it.

Meanwhile, the IWB holster arrived today for this Bersa and I am quite pleased with how comfortable and unobtrusive it is.