New
Find
Notify
Tools

Door locks!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have moved into a new (to me) house. The front door has a glass panel on each side of the door. While handy to see out front without opening the door (solid) it does pose a risk that entry could be gained by breaking the glass and simply turning the (single cylinder) handle for the deadbolt. Any suggested solutions? Obviously I could secure the door in a thousand ways, but the solution must be compatible with a quick exit, in the dark perhaps, in case of a fire.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, you could put a keyed deadbolt with the key side on the inside of your door. Just keep the key in a handy nearby spot that all know about.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have moved into a new (to me) house. The front door has a glass panel on each side of the door. While handy to see out front without opening the door (solid) it does pose a risk that entry could be gained by breaking the glass and simply turning the (single cylinder) handle for the deadbolt. Any suggested solutions? Obviously I could secure the door in a thousand ways, but the solution must be compatible with a quick exit, in the dark perhaps, in case of a fire.
Thanks, Peter.

Interesting problem cause I have the same damn problem.

I have a nest door lock. It has 8 digits. Near impossible to break mechanically. Love the lock and it is tied to a nest doorbell.

I am hoping my German Shepherd finally gets aggressive and bites anyone trying to break into my house.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above, a poor mans security system that I use when traveling + in motels. The old standard door wedge installed under the knob side of the door.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deadbolts that require a key from either side. Get good commercial quality locks. Builders don't like them because of potential problems in case of a fire, ie don't lock your self in and not have a key handy. Don't forget interior doors to the basement or garage.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Deadbolts that require a key from either side. Get good commercial quality locks. Builders don't like them because of potential problems in case of a fire, ie don't lock your self in and not have a key handy. Don't forget interior doors to the basement or garage.
C.G.B.

This.

And reinforce the jamb with a strip of brass, aluminum or steel and long screws if possible. It might not work with side lights.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Yes, I was aware that I could have a double cylinder lock installed. I guess I was looking for a second lock, perhaps higher up on the door/frame, perhaps even of a kind that people are not expecting. Not sure what is out there. I certainly do NOT want a lock that is on the Internet. I am too old to be dependent on the IOT!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks all. Yes, I was aware that I could have a double cylinder lock installed. I guess I was looking for a second lock, perhaps higher up on the door/frame, perhaps even of a kind that people are not expecting. Not sure what is out there. I certainly do NOT want a lock that is on the Internet. I am too old to be dependent on the IOT!
Peter.

I don’t connect my nest to the internet. I do connect the door bell to the internet.

If anyone can break a 100,000,000 to one combo I assume they will be doing something other than breaking in my house.

I may just get a door jammer and use it.

I have electronic locks on all my entry doors - including from the garage into the house.

But I think my chewed up destroyed blinds right next to my front door serve as the best deterrent.

No burglar is going to want to mess with the dog that destroyed those blinds.

My hoa can’t complain about blinds inside the house.

I also have led lights and keep the front of my house lit all night.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You could add a hotel style lock up top, not the chain, but the solid type.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, now we are getting somewhere. I did find something called a "swing bar lock latch" which is what I had in mind but didn't know what they were called! Thanks.
Now for the wedge, I can see those, but most say they keep doors open! NOT what I want! Now to keep doors closed, I am not sure how they would work. The front door fits in a frame which has weather stripping to keep the weather out. Would the stop fit in the gap or would it just sit on the floor inside the door to stop it from opening fully. Sorry if this sounds elementary but I am trying to make sure I understand how this would work. I do like both these ideas.
My son has one of those "doorbells" with a camera that shows him on his cell phone who is at the door of his house. Pretty cool concept, and Beretta, I assume this is what you have.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting. Can you set the wedge up when you are away, and then lower it when you come home (from the "outside" so to speak).
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just replace the door if I lived in an area with even moderate crime.

Or buy a Rottweiler or two.

Better safe than sorry.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BH, I live in a gated community so I am not that concerned about break ins, just want to remove the low hanging fruit and not be a target of opportunity. I have two dogs that should give me plenty of warning should I be home. After that, the bad guys should be more worried about me than the dogs.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a custom made grille that looks like the diaminds of an old British leaded window. Have that fixed behind the panels.

Or...do this...

Fix a piece of metal pipe or box section onto the back of your door that is like a "tunnel" that you have to put your hand in to turn the lock.

Or just a piece of sheet steel screwed into the edge of the door.

What you are trying to do in effect is create a barrier (the steel sheet) or a "tunnel" (the tube or box section) that you can't get your wrist around from outside the door if you break the glass.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, my son lives in a gated community but that didn't stop someone from breaking into his garage + stealing all his guns + a few of mine that he took home to clean without my knowledge. I'm still sick over the loss of my cased Mauser Broomhandle w/ shoulder stock + all the extras.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concerning the theft issue. A buddy of mine in the 70s in Houston in the midst of the C.B. radio craze kept getting his stoled out of his truck. So the last one he had to buy he brazed treble hooks under the radio + remounted it. Needless to say, the next morning he had a wetback hung up under the dash. After a few well-placed hits from a baseball bat, he snipped off the barbs next to the skin + left him in the parking lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Concerning the theft issue. A buddy of mine in the 70s in Houston in the midst of the C.B. radio craze kept getting his stoled out of his truck. So the last one he had to buy he brazed treble hooks under the radio + remounted it. Needless to say, the next morning he had a wetback hung up under the dash. After a few well-placed hits from a baseball bat, he snipped off the barbs next to the skin + left him in the parking lot.

I don't think I would try that today. Damn liberals have taken the fun out of life.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's so true. The criminals have more rights than we do. I'm sure Doug was aware of this + that was a damned good reason to knock him colder than a wedge + leave him in the parking lot than to call the cops. ACLU most likely would have been all over him.