Find
Notify
Tools

Changing your combat grip
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
As a member of the old Outdoor Life Book Club back in junior high, my mentor on all things handgun was Jeff Cooper. I must have read his section in the "Outdoor Life Book of Shooting" at least 50 times.
In the 1960s, the colonel seemed to have a lot of respect for Jack Weaver, and I learned not only the Weaver stance but also Weaver's method of holding a handgun -- in his case, usually a big Smith N frame.
As a result, to this day, I grip a handgun -- revolver or semiauto -- with the thumb of my left hand crossing over the thumb of my right hand at a right angle; in other words, my right thumb lies parallel to the axis of the bore, and my left thumb crosses perpendicular to it.
I am not sure if this confers any serious disadvantage, but I do note that the modern technique of the combat pistol seems to involve both thumbs pointing forward. This seems really odd to me, but then I have been fooling with handguns for 50 years using the Weaver grip.
Is it worth trying to change? Would I gain anything by it?

Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am to old to change my grip I been using the same one for 40 plus years and it worked just fine.

No need to retrain my self.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that grip works for you, I would not change a thing.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I guess "if it ain't broken ..."

Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something about teaching old dogs new tricks.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first starting shooting handguns as a 2nd Lt in the Army. I always qualified Expert, but never really liked the grip we were taught, I felt it didn’t secure things up enough.

Over the years after my active duty, I experimented with a lot of pistol grips. I have now settled on a grip that I feel is the most efficient and effective.

Rule #1: Always use your primary hand on a handgun as if you were having to shoot one-handed, because in the heat of a situation, one handed may be your only choice.

Once the one-handed grip has been established, I wrap my four fingers around my one-handed grip combat style, then I place my thumb directly behind the knuckle of my one-handed grip and press down hard. This locks the two handed grip in place and greatly reduces flip and greatly improves my ability to stay on target.

One thing remains the same regardless of how you hold a handgun; if you want to shoot well, the target picture must be aimed at the intended target when the cartridge fires. Most inaccuracies are from recoil anticipation. Steady. Steady. Smooth release of that trigger.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just watched an excellent YouTube video on “The Israeli Pointing Method” as taught to Isralies. You too can watch this video. The grip they are using is the same grip I use, only it took me a few decades to finally figure it out. However, I don’t like the poster they recommend. I prefer a modified combat Weaver stance. It just feels better and more natural.

I’ve said this before, and this is critical in handgun shooting, the dominant hand must be prepared for one-Hand shooting. The off-hand should be placed imo just as described in this video of the Israeli pointing method.

A good video, but everyone has to find what works for them. I know this grip completely changed my ability to become an excellent marksman. I just find their recommended stance doesn’t bode well for fast protective shooting.

Just keeping myself amused.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer a modified combat Weaver stance. It just feels better and more natural.

When I first started in law enforcement.

The instructors would try and enforce certain stances.

When I became the instructor I tended to be a lot looser with the standards.

There are as many body styles as there are people.

I tend to use a modified Weaver stance.

But that can vary a lot depending on the situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would I gain anything by it?

Yup! That is the question. The main reason for the "new" grip is that competition shooters are very successful with it. That means:
Sights are aligned when the gun is "presented"
Sights and gun return to the original "point of aim" very quickly after the shot is broken.
The grip must facilitate accurate shooting.
There is nothing magic going on, just the next step after the Leatham/Brian Enos break through on grip and stance back in the 1980's.
The "new" technique emphasizes that the bulk of the grip tension is provided by the non trigger hand, and that the non trigger hand has the wrist "canted" downward to resist recoil and return the muzzle back to it's original place.
Of course, the thumbs should not interfere with the slide stop.
etc. etc.
Again, these are guys who shoot "El Presidente" in 4-5 seconds,and shoot a plate rack in even less time. It takes a LOT of practice.
Plenty of sources of information.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
Would I gain anything by it?

Yup! That is the question. The main reason for the "new" grip is that competition shooters are very successful with it. That means:
Sights are aligned when the gun is "presented"
Sights and gun return to the original "point of aim" very quickly after the shot is broken.
The grip must facilitate accurate shooting.
There is nothing magic going on, just the next step after the Leatham/Brian Enos break through on grip and stance back in the 1980's.
The "new" technique emphasizes that the bulk of the grip tension is provided by the non trigger hand, and that the non trigger hand has the wrist "canted" downward to resist recoil and return the muzzle back to it's original place.
Of course, the thumbs should not interfere with the slide stop.
etc. etc.
Again, these are guys who shoot "El Presidente" in 4-5 seconds,and shoot a plate rack in even less time. It takes a LOT of practice.
Plenty of sources of information.
Peter.

I’m sorry, but I find this a bunch of unfounded crap. I can assure that I’ve tried all the numerous handhold of handguns over the years, and I know what works best for me. The Israeli handhold is the most efficient and effective, but to each his own, and good shooting.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat a Weaver or modified Weaver stance for most situations, especially if that is how you trained for years. The “new” thumbs forward grip has been around for a long time. When it is practiced and trained to a muscle memory level (as all shooting grips and stances should be), most people whose jobs require a high level of handgun proficiency will use some version of that method. Whether it is used with an isosceles, Weaver, modified Weaver, etc. stance, that grip has many advantages for an auto shooter. Use what works best for you and practice it like your life may depend upon it one day.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am going to experiment with the Israeli grip demonstrated by this bad-ass dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSLYTrH5LU

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I am going to experiment with the Israeli grip demonstrated by this bad-ass dude.

That’s the technique I’ve been using for some time now and it has greatly improved my consistency. I think you’ll like it Bill, it really locks that handgun in place, whether it be a pistol or revolver.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It's not all that different from Jack Weaver's grip -- just the downward pressure of the left thumb. I have to admit there is not much "extra real estate" on the grip of a Sig P365 -- and I have medium hands.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Looks like one big dude.

Interesting still don't think it is worth the time it would take to undo 10's of thousands of rounds and decades of experience.

One that I will add to the arsenal of grips that some one could find handy.

Hand size and pistol size has a big influence on how one grips a particular pistol.

As he said no one grip is the end all.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As much as I am a major S+W fan, their factory Magna grips, especially on the N frame, are really pretty user-unfriendly.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Although my fingers are nowhere near as long as Bill Jordans I found his grips on the K frame (model 19) much easier to control in rapid-fire. He would know.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have changed out most of my revolver grips.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After drawing with my eyes closed and not thinking about my grip.

I found that I am using about the same grip as the person in the video. On my semi-autos

Only with my left thumb a bit farther forward then he is showing.

Been using that grip for decades.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun according to size and recoil...I hold my thumb over and on top of the cylender release on lighter kicking guns up to a 38 spec. or perhaps a 357, but roll my thumb over my finger or the top of the grip on a 41 or 44, Its just habit and Im comfortable with either, and its automatic..On a auto along the top of the grip..I dislike wrapping my thumb over the finger as it tends to make a gun shoot to the left and low..Need to get the thumb out of the way more or less IMO..

Id say try it and let the target be your guide, like golf grip or a baseball bat or tennis racket, one grip does not fit all, in your case its what you are most comfortable with and most what scores the best hits..

If there is a catch to grips, its that the human body can quickly adjust to about any grip..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote