Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms while traveling by automobile
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
Off to the inlaws for the holidays and got to thinking, always a dangerous sport for me. When traveling by automobile do you take any extra "hardware" than what you normally carry every day?

I try to take into account my destination and where I'll be staying. You don't really want to leave a couple rifles and pistols laying around a motel room while you're off to Disneyland for the day. Wink But I normally take a toy or two extra. hilbily

Question:
What gear do you take when traveling?

Choices:
I don't take any firearms with me at all
I carry the same pdw and ammo that I take to the grocery store
I take an extra handgun and some ammo
I add a long gun of some type
My wife and I have matching webgear and bayonets :)

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always throw in at least a shotgun there are always some varmints around the inlaws farm.

A AR or a Mini 14 are my traveling companions on many trips

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
No varmints (at least four legged) but there is a public range nearby so a rifle came along in case I need to amuse myself.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Unless am going to Texas or other hunting place, I just take the usual. (Usually heavy Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm planning a range trip while on vacation I don't take anything extra.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question is too vague. Going to Dallas to see my sister or south Texas to see the inlaws, just extra ammo...unless brotherinlaw wants to go shoot.
Going to Rocksprings, I bring an extra long gun, in addition to whatever rifle I'm hunting w/.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are taking a rifle for self defense? Excuse me, just how do you plan on defending it's use (instead of a handgun)? "Well your honor, I knew he was going to kill me with his handgun so I engaged him at 200 yards".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
There is pretty significant evidence that the 5.56mm/.223 will penetrate less building structure than most common handgun rounds. While shooting someone at 200 yards probably wouldn't be a good SD shooting, using something that is more accurate and easier to shoot while having less chance of overpenetration at a reasonable distance shouldn't be too hard to defend (excepting that it came from an "Assault Weapon").

The poll looks like most people just take their usual PDW on trips. Maybe we're not all gun loonies.
hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick it may also be a matter of state law. Florida law has always been pretty generous in terms of having a handgun in a vehicle ie. you can have one without a CW permit. This affords an advantage over other states. Thus, to answer your question, one can have a larger, perhaps more effective and certainly more accurate handgun carried in a vehicle glovebox, center console etc. than carried concealed on a person.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a bit remote where I'm at, no cell service in places (no 911, Life Flight etc) on the way there. I go prepared to take care of me and mine.

Not to sound a S/A but ever heard about the Texas Ranger, sheriff, old lawman who went to some civilian function, old lady notices he's carrying pistol. Asks if he's expecting trouble. Old ___ says no, if he was he would have brought his rifle/shotgun (depending on who is telling story).

As the song says: "life on the border is a little bit rough"

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Spent five years working for the S.O. in Houston. I have a lot of respect for the folks in that part of the US. If they
ever secede I'll be one of the first to emigrate. Wink
I think a fellow should travel with his BBQ pistol and saddle carbine. Even if it's a 1911 and an M4 forgery. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I don't travel with firearms at all, unless it is a hunting season. That means that for nearly 1/2 of the year, it is more likely to find me with firearms than without, no matter where I'm going.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always carry some kind of rifle when traveling, unless my destination for some reason does not allow it.

Then I carry another 1911 and an extra dozen magazines and an extra box or two of 45 ACP ammo.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For self-defense? Short shotgun or carbine. But then the issue of securing the thing in a vehicle crops up. Trunk is nice, but the pickup doesn't have a trunk.

Let me add to this, since it's at the bottom of the thread.

I'm planning a "road trip" to Vegas this spring. I have an extended cab and so can secure stuff inside the truck. But it's not "concealed" -- which may invite a break in.

Also, we'd be crossing a few states. I don't want to end up in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, or god forbid, California with stuff in the truck which is unlawful.

I understand the "Peaceable Journey" provision, but that requires that you don't "stop" in the state where the guns are banned. I expect I'd like to "visit" and don't want to be required to "drive through without a layover." Mostly CA on this one.

CA is totally whacked.

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:
For self-defense? Short shotgun or carbine. But then the issue of securing the thing in a vehicle crops up. Trunk is nice, but the pickup doesn't have a trunk.

Let me add to this, since it's at the bottom of the thread.

I'm planning a "road trip" to Vegas this spring. I have an extended cab and so can secure stuff inside the truck. But it's not "concealed" -- which may invite a break in.

Also, we'd be crossing a few states. I don't want to end up in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, or god forbid, California with stuff in the truck which is unlawful.

I understand the "Peaceable Journey" provision, but that requires that you don't "stop" in the state where the guns are banned. I expect I'd like to "visit" and don't want to be required to "drive through without a layover." Mostly CA on this one.

CA is totally whacked.

If your going to las vegas, your gonna end up in nevada. Roll Eyes

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For travel to places like Kalif, a M1 Garand [a "Tanker" is the handiest, or a Lever Action would be my pick.

Also I think a Ruger Mini 14 and certain models of the Kel Tec 223 are legal there...

You can also get a Kalif legal M1 A.

Just be sure you have 10 round, or less detachable magazines.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to either a pump shotgun or lever action rifle when out and about in an area that restricts Sport Utillity Rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That brings up a interesting question.
What do you guys who travel in self-defensless countries (like Kalifornia, Illinois, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, etc.) carry for self protection and how do you carry it with ammo?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'll plead the Fifth on how to transport in gun unfriendly states. Don't get pulled over is a good start.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a very good lan to know ALL the laws in EVERY state you plan to travel through.

It is not a good idea to violate the laws of another state...

It might be a good idea to travel around any state that has rules that might comromise your safety.

Also if you must travel through a "can't have a loaded gun in the car" state, then you could plan to travel through that state only in daylight, crime is much less in daylight, and then you could lock up your guns and ammo while driving through that state...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
It is a very good lan to know ALL the laws in EVERY state you plan to travel through.

It is not a good idea to violate the laws of another state...

It might be a good idea to travel around any state that has rules that might comromise your safety.

Also if you must travel through a "can't have a loaded gun in the car" state, then you could plan to travel through that state only in daylight, crime is much less in daylight, and then you could lock up your guns and ammo while driving through that state...

I know all of that too. I was just asking what if anything could be carried and not harrassed by the local gestapo/KGB. I once had to drive through Illinois from Terra Haute to St. Louisy. I was scared the whole distance, even with my stash stashed legally. I also found I had no more reason to go back to Illinois.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
You can drive through Maryland with a loaded speed loader but not a loaded magazine. A mag is part of the gun therefore the gun is loaded, the speed loader is not part of the gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To be perfectly legal, while still having ready access to a loaded gun you might have to resort to custom security boxes...

While they may seem expensive, they will be a lot less, than paying for bail/bond, legal fees, and medical bills, after going to jail and being "married" to your aids infested cell mate[s]...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
To be perfectly legal, while still having ready access to a loaded gun you might have to resort to custom security boxes...

While they may seem expensive, they will be a lot less, than paying for bail/bond, legal fees, and medical bills, after going to jail and being "married" to your aids infested cell mate[s]...

rotflmo jumping

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I add some extra ammo and my 1300 Defender.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just look up the laws in the states you travel through and follow them. For example, I know in Kansas and Missouri if you have a loaded weapon in a vehicle and no CCH permit, they can take you away. That is whether it is locked up or not. If it is loaded and locked up, they consider it concealed. If it is loaded and visible, it is considered brandishing a weapon. If it is unloaded and locked up, no problem. In Kansas, in a truck, it must also be "inaccessable" to the driver.

Now will all the LEOs look or stop you, heck no. We still have fellows running around the rural areas with the 30-30 in the back window of the truck, but it is possible.

When I travel, I check the CCW laws and don't carry more unless there is a hunting trip involved.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF I'm going farther than the nearest 7-11 I add a centerfire long gun of some type.

that's in addition to one of the rimfire rifles that I don't drive to my mailbox without.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I'll plead the Fifth on how to transport in gun unfriendly states. Don't get pulled over is a good start.

Too often the constabulary will pull a "routine stop" for no other reason than to ensure your snow tires are lawful (studs). Or that your "load is secure" "lights work" . . . "you're weaving."

Out of state plates on a vehicle with "luggage" or other obvious signs of "road trip" are prime targets for traffic stops, because police are looking for "interstate crime."

Once they make a stop, they're looking for "probable cause" and a reason to search you, the vehicle, whatever.

Watch COPS on TV (Tru TV), and watch how these people work. Law enforcement on one end, but they're looking to arrest drug traffic and an out of state plate is "red meat."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would just look up the laws in the states you travel through and follow them. For example, I know in Kansas and Missouri if you have a loaded weapon in a vehicle and no CCH permit, they can take you away. That is whether it is locked up or not. If it is loaded and locked up, they consider it concealed. If it is loaded and visible, it is considered brandishing a weapon. If it is unloaded and locked up, no problem. In Kansas, in a truck, it must also be "inaccessible" to the driver.

This brings up an interesting point. Since I have CCW in both states it doesn't much affect me, but --

Without a CCW, in WA state you may have a loaded firearm in the vehicle so long as it is "in plain view."

In OR, just across the river, you may have a loaded firearm in the vehicle so long as it is "out of view."

-- or vice versa. As I say, it doesn't affect me.

Concealed carry in WA state is lawful WITHOUT a CCW so long as you're "engaged in outdoor recreation -- going to, or coming from." Watching Little League doesn't count, but shooting at a range, hiking, biking, kayaking, camping, horseback all count.

In OR you're legal WITHOUT a permit if you're a licensed angler/hunter and "engaged in a hunt/fish expedition -- going to or coming from." Local Sheriff tells me if I have a license and a gun, not sitting in a PTA meeting or headed to work, "You're hunting/fishing."

The laws get tricky, and police will often pull you over just to "check" . . . Which they have the right to do.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Driving cross country for twenty years. The only times I've been stopped are: once for speeding in Pa, a verbal warning and have a safe night. And once because a Maryland Highway Patrol was chasing a brown Jeep with a Tan top lost him in traffic and spotted my Tan top. Told me that I had broke several laws and that a complaint was beeing taken against me and the witness had a plate number. Did I mention my Tan top was on a Red Jeep?