THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions revolver for truck console and C.C.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted
I am thinking of buying a small revolver to keep in the console of my pickup. I currently leave a 686 plus with a 6" barrel under my seat. Think I might also pick up a more compact revolver to leave in a holster in the console that I could slip under my vest quickly if I need to carry it. Really prefer revolvers as 95% of my pistol use is shooting rattlesnakes (quick and easy to slip in shotshells). Keep other pistols at the house so this one will really just lives in the truck, any suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Since you like stainless S&Ws have you thought about a S&W M632?

Stainless steel, similar in design to the revolver you are used to, 6 shots of .327 Federal (close to .357 Mag) in a small frame, short barrel available. Can also get it with exposed (standard) trigger or internal trigger.

I don't know what version(s) would be on the California DOJ's approved list.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin

I would pick a S&W shorter barreled revolver that used the same speed loaders as your 686.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I agree, but would go for one, or modify one, so that the hammer spur is bobbed. Much easier for CC under your vest or shirt.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been doing that for awhile - use an old mod 15 s&w

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with butchloc. Get a used model 15 or model 10 with a shorter barrel and you should be fine.

This is not meant to be a criticism, but why keep it in the console and in a holster? If someone knocks on the window and tells you to "GET OUT" in a bad situation, are you going to tell them to wait while I get the gun out of the console and out of the holster? At best, I would wear the holster and throw the gun in the console, but not both. Ideally just wear it while in the truck.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Larry
No criticism taken. To be honest, it's probably that I would forget the holster at home etc. I hadn't considered the holster in the console issue. Honestly, I need to be more conscious of potential things that would cost me time like that. I know it's not a good thing, but I have a bad habit of resting on the fact that we are in a very rural area (20 miles from a town of 8000) where the carjacking scenario is very remote. I say that knowing full well that it is the unlikely event that gets you hurt. So yes I think you are giving good advice and maybe I'll try going that route.

As far as the pistols go. I'll check out the S&W website tonight.(

One of Us
posted Hide Post
J-Frame Smith & Wesson, Mod. 60 in .357 mag. Stainless, five round, snubby. Ruger GP100 is the same idea. I bobbed the hammer for IWB, but for a console and a vest holster, the hammer spur and cocking for single action is a nice option.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You'd have to look hard to find someone who would argue the .357 isn't a better defensive round than the .327. But the .327 is pretty darn close and, since you are looking for "a more compact revolver", it does offer compactness as an advantage. Smith & Wesson puts six rounds of .327 into the same small J-frame revolver that only holds five .357 or .38 rounds.

S&W Model 632

J.D. - I think you meant Ruger 101 and not 100. FWIW the S&W J-frame weighs less than 90% of what the Ruger 101 does.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
GP100 no under lug on barrel. GP101 under lug is length of barrel. First "0" is barrel length, GP141 is a 4" full under lug. KGP141 would make it stainless, 4" full under lug. The five round Ruger is the SP100 series.

I prefer a 4" barrel over 6". For a console, a short barreled five shot would be handy. The sugestion for a shorter barrel using the same speed loaders is better advice than a five shot though. Smaller grips will reduce bulk.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compact Ruger revolvers go past me in a blinding haze. I don't pay much attention to them. I have a heap of Smiths and a Ruger Security Six, Super Blackhawk. I glanced at an ad for Ruger in Guns & Ammo the other day in a waiting room. Date on the magazine was 2004.

Ruger makes a nice one, but I don't know the numbers.

For a truck, I like a 629 in 44 mag. w/ 4" bbl. Or an XD 5" 'Tactical' 45 ACP w/ a laser. Along with an AK or Rem. 870. "Don't take a pistol to a gun fight."