New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 44magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you think this would be a good conceal carry unit?Anyone tried one of these before?Looking for comments good or bad..
Scandium Alaska Backpacker 44 magnum

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
For my taste, this is both a bit much and a bit too small. I don't think something as potent as a .44 is needed for CC, although, if that is all you have, it is better than nothing.

Griz78 has an airlite 38+p and it is pretty darn hard to hold on to, at least with the small amount that I've shot it. I can't imagine how vicious a .44 mag would be one the same weight/size/style, and if you shot it at night, instant blindness. Granted this one has larger sized grips which will help a bunch, but if you feel like you only have 2 fingers on it, I don't think it'll feel secure to shoot. For me, a snub nosed .357 would be preferable to this bad boy, if we are talking about self defense from bad guys. If we are talking Grizzly bears, then something along this line would be fine, although I would still prefer a full sized gun with at least a 4" barrel. FWIW

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have carried my 5.5 inch redhawk. My everyday gun is my glock 23.

It well work with some good mid range loads. Full power loads in these light weigh mag revolvers are had to control.

If I had it I wouldn't be afraid to carry it. Most likely would not be my every day gun. Its going to take a little bit more to conceal it.

I am sure that with the right loads and paractice if you had to use it it well work just fine.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Lew Horton 3-inch M29 for years and they are concealable. I would imagine that thing would kick like hell with full-house loads and be consequently hard t control. Should be pretty manageable with .44 specials, though.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a bit like the old British "Webley RIC" or "Bulldog" concept. As far as I would say you've all the disadvantage of a heavy frame and cylider with a short barrel.

Capable of a high power cartridge...but then wasting all that hogh power with a short barrel. Giving you the twin problems of recoil and flash!

If this had been say a Charter Arms in 44 Special it would make sense. Short barrel but light weight and in 44 Special reasonably controllable.

In your combination as in the picture it is better than nothing but a long, long way from ideal. These "Bulldogs" used heaby bullets but at low velocity.

If your gun in the picture were in 45 ACP it would have some merit.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased the model 325 Night Guard in .45acp. It conceals well, it's reasonably accurate and the recoil is not bad. I would think the pistol in .44 Mag wouldn't be too bad if loaded with a mid range load.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I carry a Magnaport Custom 629 3" occasionally. Loaded with Federal 44 Spl 200gr SWHP's. It all depends on the weather and where we're going.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help,Iam gonna regroup on the scandium's after finding these pics.. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!!

Hopefully the lower pressure of the .45acp will keep that type of crap from happening to my pistol.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ... THAT would tend to make an owner VERY unhappy!

I carry a Lew Horton 3" 657 41 Mag Round Butt as a concealed weapon when hunting. Works fine in field clothing. Handles full house loads.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tenmikemike
posted Hide Post
I have a SS 3" Bulldog in .44 Spl. Don't be fooled; even 246-grain lead cowboy loads STING in this lightweight revolver! I now carry Speer 200-gr GDHP, especially made to fully open at lower Spl velocities.

NRA Endowment Life member

CZ 550 American 9.3 X 62 Mauser/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 Safari Classic .458 Lott

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short barrel 44 mag. is a waste of ballistic energy. 4" min barrel length. Then you get a 44 mag that's big, and heavy, so that it will shoot full boat loads with full boat ballistics.

44 mag is for carry in the woods, for bear. And then you want a holster on the belt, open.

One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
So getting away from a pinned barrel was a good idea for S&W? LOL!

Not.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote