Find
Notify
Tools

Which maker/model do you love/hate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I love Smith & Wesson Double action Revolvers.
I love Ruger Single Action Revolvers.

I have a 657 S&W (which is the Classic Hunter, unfluted cylinder, .41 mag) and I absolutely love her. My dad bought us a pair, with sequential serial numbers, when I graduated high school. I don't think he's fired his. I can not make that claim. My wife has a 629 with about an 19 inch barrel (or so it seems) that she wanted and I couldn't talk her out of. I must admit she shoots it well and has yet to develop the flinch I knew would come (I do load it light for her). I also have a S&W 38 that belongs to my father in law that I won't talk much about in case he thinks about it and asks for it back, she's pretty sweet as well.

My heart belongs to the single action revolver, and Ruger fits my pocket book and performance expectations perfectly. I'm sure that I could love another maker as well, but I'm in no hurry to explore further. My single six is probably the most fired gun that I have ever owned. She is a part of me. I have aspirations of acquiring a Vaquero in 45 LC in the near future.

As far as hate goes, I can't say that I really hate any of them. I did have an experience with a Glock 17 that my friend's dad owned, right when they came out. The trigger was terrible and you couldn't hit a barn with the thing. It may have been a lemon, and I know most of the Glock guys are die hards, so they must be doing something right, but I wouldn't want one based on that one experience. I could also see one shot tomorrow that impresses me and change my mind. I have also had a love affair with the colt python, but I can't justify that kind of money on a pistol at this time. MY .02

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate list -- Glock for the reasons cited above, besides the fact that they're blocky, fat, clunky, and ugly.

Kimber -- trendy, overpriced, "status symbol." Right in there with owning a Hummmer.

What can I say? Smith & Wesson, Springfield.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sig 9mm in model 226 - great functional gun and shoots where I point it.

Ruger Mark 2 or 3 .22 pistols for practice. easy and fun to shoot.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jennings J-22 is my "go to piece" when the shtuff hits the fan! Wink

PS - Just joshing! Roll Eyes

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Love- 1911's and clones not the overpriced ones, Springfield XD, Sig Pistols

Hate- Glocks, overpriced 1911's, Desert Eagles, Berettas

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
why do you hate desert eagles? Can we assume you like 45 acp?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a died in wool SIG fan but I like that Glock trigger concept for a defence pistol. Same trigger pull every time.

I think the Springfield XD's are an extremely good design. They took the Glock trigger and other good features and came up with good design.

Time will tell if they maintain good quality control, accuracy and reliability standards.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love Sig 226, Kahr, S&W DA Revolvers

Hate 90s vintage S&W DAO Semi-Autos, Jennings, Lorcen, Phoenix.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Love smith and wesson double actions and ruger single actions. Hate ruger double actions--- feel like they are full of sand and always a terrible trigger pull in the ones I have tried.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
Love: Colt and Springfield 1911, Beretta(fullsize), S&W DA revolvers, Colt Revolvers, Ruger SA revolvers.

HATE: Glock and XD(but are reliable), High Point, cheap semi's.

I prefer metal over plastic

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
why do you hate desert eagles? Can we assume you like 45 acp?

Yes I like 45 ACP but I also like 38, 357, 40, and 10mm. Desert Eagles are chunky, heavy, and over engineered junk. Big Grin

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 1911's best (.45 acp, 38 Super, 9x23, .40 S&W, 9x19, single stack or double stack ... any reliable 1911!) but am happy with any reliable gun with a similar grip angle (Glocks with a gripe modification, XDs, Hi Powers, Sigs, etc.) EXCEPT no DAO Smith and Wesson semiautomatics. I've never been able to work through their long, heavy trigger pull even though it is the same each tome.

I also like N frame Smith & Wesson revolvers and Model P Colts/clones!

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This little pos S&@ locked up after about 150 rounds, and 3000 dry fires, on snap caps.

Smith wouldn't refund my money, and, I can't get a longer barrel for it, either.

It is the most vicious recoiling gun I've ever fired, thanks to about 45 fps of recoil, coupled with 25-30 ft-lbs of energy.
The light weight lets the gun accelerate SO fast that it's really snappy.

It isn't really a 357. It's a something inbetween heavy 38 special Plus P, and, the lowend of the 357 stuff. Heavy .357 is OUT of the question.

I forgot to mention the gritty, awful trigger. When I first got it, it was about 17 pounds, DA, and maybe 8 SA.

Fully tuned, by Jack Huntington, the best you can expect is 10 pounds DA, and, 4 pounds SA.
This means DA shooting at 7 yards means pie plate or worse accuracy. NO head shots, really.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found Smith and Colt revolvers to have great factory triggers. I have three Smiths and have gone through several more over the years. Don't like their autos at all, though. Had a 39 and a 59 and sold them both.

I don't like the Glock grip angle. Feels like a Luger and doesn't point naturally like a 1911 or a Hi Power or Beretta Brigadier. I carry a tuned Commander and own two just in case one has to go to the shop.

Don't like overpriced 1911's either. My gunsmith says he doesn't know how those guys at Wilson sleep at night.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote