New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultralight revolvers (and pistols)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have previously ignored this type of gun, but a friend of mine showed me his S&W 360PD. It is amazingly light and small. With a "pocket holster" (for want of a better term) it can be easily carried in the pocket of a pair of shorts (a definite advantage in Florida). So, what is your experience with these? What is out there? I would rather not drop $800 on the PD (please spare me the "what is your life worth sermon). What about the Ruger LCR? Any others?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a Beretta Tomcat 32ACP in a pocket holster.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I carry a Diamondback DB9 in a pocket holster. Check them out, I believe they're made in your home state of Florida.

I love mine, so far, with probably 400 rounds or so through it, I've never had a mis-feed, stovepipe or jam. And for a compact 9mm, at self-defense range (about 7 steps), the accuracy is fairly decent.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! I had not thought of the Diamondback 9mm. I will check it out. As i said I do like the idea of a pocket holster rather than an IWB or similar, for summer wear.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both revolvers, both easy to conceal and will get the job done.

The Ruger LCR has a far better trigger pull, probably one of the best double action triggers.

If you have a chance to shoot one, I would give the LCR a try.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&W 642
Buds Gun Shop . com had them w/o the lock a while back.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are great to carry but not so fun to shoot.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, never one to let the grass grow under my feet, I bought a Ruger LCR on Gunbroker last night! I will post a report after I shoot it.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Its a great gun to carry for personal use, not one you want to shoot a lot.

Good choice though.

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom! If it works out it is a gun that I will carry a lot but not necessarily shoot a lot.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV2WY:
Peter

Its a great gun to carry for personal use, not one you want to shoot a lot.

Good choice though.

+1. Even more so if you get on that shoots +P

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 38 Special. Don't know about the +P, but I am not really worried about it. A 125 or 140 gr. bullet should be enough at close defensive ranges.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter I picked up one of Ruger's boot Grips for the LCR it is a bit smaller than the Hogue grips that comes with it and fits in my pocket better a little harder to shoot here in VT during the winter when your hands are cold but very handy in the summer

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zephyr, thanks very much! I hope to pick it up today, but, looking at pictures, the grip does seem large compared with the rest of the gun. Do you have a pocket holster, if so, what kind? The point of this was to get a pocket holster and not a "regular" holster.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a full size 1911 .45 in an iwb with u tucked shirt and shorts. I have a j frame .38 and an HK4 .380 but use them mostly as demo weapons rather than carry guns. After 27 years of carrying 1911s and BHPs the little stuff makes me feel naked

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did get a pocket holster from Safariland. Fits inside the pocket of my shorts. Wonderful!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LCR is a bit bigger than my wife's S&W 342PD, but the trigger pull on the Ruger is 100% better than the Smith. She says we now must swap guns because she can shoot the LCR easier.

The grips are a bit big on the Ruger, so they will get changed.
Question: When I shake the LCR something in the frame rattles (But not when the trigger is fully pressed). Anyone else have this noise? The Smith is very quiet.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone I have picked up or shoot does that, not sure what it is.

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be the safety lock mechanism? Haven't tried mine yet.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My wife has an LCR in .38 Spl it's safe with +P ammo. They now make them in .357 and .22lr. It's a very nice shooting little gun and much easier to shoot than the various S&W Scandium revolvers.
IMHO

Her's rattles too and according to the guys over at the Ruger Forum it's normal for that gun.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry the LCR in .357. I highly recommend the Speer short barreled Gold Dots which are available in both 38 Special+P and .357.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, double post.]

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderer:
I carry the LCR in .357. I highly recommend the Speer short barreled Gold Dots which are available in both 38 Special+P and .357.

My LCR is also in .357 thought the extra 4oz would help with the recoil management. I have found that shooting .357 rounds are a bit stiff in this little gun and choose to shoot .38+Ps Though my practice rounds are soft shooting .357 reloads. Carrying light guns are a pleasure shooting can be another matter. IMHO I feel that it is all about the balance between the weight of the gun and the ability to manage the recoil comfortably. None of us experience this the same for me the +P was enough as far as getting the gun on target after the 1st shot..
Peter I use a simple Uncle Mike in the pocket holster when carrying my LCR

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
Revolvers aren't my favorite. I like the Ruger LC9. It's small and light, accurate enough, and I haven't had any problems with it. I could carry it in my pocket, but I don't. I like the flash bang holster, instead. Big Grin
http://www.firearmstalk.com/en...ang-Bra-Holster.html

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote