THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Texans carrying a samurai sword or sabre in public?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ever have to use one?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have one from the late 1500's that a friends dad brought back from the pacific in war 2 + traded him out of.But I would never consider wearing it in public.Not sure what the law is on that but even the best meaning cop would most likely take it + good luck getting it back.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Peter,sorry,in answer to your question;yes I took a fencing course at UT in the mid 70's.Wanted to do the sabre class but never got around to it.I still have my foil in my office. My grandson when he was little would come by + when he saw it got all excited + called it the "Puss In Boots" sword.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure what the law is on that but even the best meaning cop would most likely take it + good luck getting it back.

Here's some useful information for you.
You well fine a link to Knife rights the best place to go for most current.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/...n-rights-policy.html

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norman, when I was talking about "carrying" I was referring to a REAL sabre, not the fencing kind. I still have my sabre and epee from my fencing days although sabres are now electric and I stopped fencing before then! A fencing sabre won't do you much good if someone comes at you with a machete in Texas!
Here is where you can't carry "long knives":

"Even after September, long knives will not be allowed in several places; including bars, schools, churches, airports, government buildings, hospitals, correctional facilities, sporting events and polling locations."
This is from FOX News.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't take a knife to a gun fight.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Norman, when I was talking about "carrying" I was referring to a REAL sabre, not the fencing kind. I still have my sabre and epee from my fencing days although sabres are now electric and I stopped fencing before then! A fencing sabre won't do you much good if someone comes at you with a machete in Texas!
Here is where you can't carry "long knives":

"Even after September, long knives will not be allowed in several places; including bars, schools, churches, airports, government buildings, hospitals, correctional facilities, sporting events and polling locations."
This is from FOX News.
Peter.

What we did was to enact sensible easily interpreted blade law.
We removed arcane, useless confusing terms from the law:
Dirk, Dagger, Rapier,Stiletto, Poniard, Bowie, dual edged blade, butterfly blade, switchblade --etc, etc (unfortunately they forgot to remove gravity knife)

Now- A blade is a blade-
certain sizes (large) are now only location restricted
NOT illegal to possess outside your home (castle).

Now we have a (large)blade law in sync with the CHL and LTC no go zones.

So , no longer are you a criminal, if you wear your 6" belt knife to the gas station to fill-up the truck while you are hunting/fishing/working.

And Yes, on Texas Independence Day, I celebrated by wearing a Bowie and a saber.

(Having worn sabers in the past , it reminded me of how cumbersome they are)

BTW
One of the finest Sword Makers in the world is in Texas

https://www.angelswords.com

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Having worn sabers in the past , it reminded me of how cumbersome they are)

Because firearms were readily available and the advent of good repeating arms.

They became the dominant weapon of choice. because they are many times better than other weapons one could carry.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote