New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you pick?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was watching an episode of Alaska-The Last Frontier yesterday and a husband and wife were catching salmon for their winter meat supply. They were smoking the salmon they had caught, plus lots of fish guts around from cleaning them and they were in bear (brown and black)country.

The husband went off to hunt moose and left his wife with a 44 Mag Ruger Blackhawk as bear defense, she fired it effectively at close range with some instruction.

What gun would you leave your wife with in that situation? I think I would opt for a rifle or 12 ga with slugs myself.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wifes a very good shoot with one or all three.

That said her ruger 77 in 06 would do just fine.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would let her choose.

Since she the best with her shotgun, that's what I would expect her to choose.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This caibre, in a revolver, is marginal in penetration and power and the Ruger Blackhawk probably none too easy to shoot accurately when BULLET PLACEMENT is of the essence.

She'd be better off with a long arm in just about any powerful 30-06 class calibre with suitably constructed bullets.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would leave my wife with HER S&W 44 Mag Mountain Gun, and HER Winchester 44 Mag Trapper Mod 94 in 44 Mag, with proper BIG bear ammo.

No doubt in my mind she could handle ANY BIG bear than happened to come along.
She has killed black bear, cape buff and all other manner of game animals.

Yes, I know I have talked a LOT about using The Winchester 44 Mag Trapper as a Utility, Traveling Vehicle, and Pig gun, BUT the Truth is, I bought it for HER as HER, Camp, Utility, close range hunting, Rifle when we camped in Bear Country, and for the deer lease, and traveling...

I sneak it out and use it when I go somewhere without her, and she "ain't" looking. sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote