New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Carry In Bars, Churches, Schools?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Oregon it's legal w/ CCW to carry where alcohol is served, in bars/restaurants. Also, legal to carry in churches (why wouldn't it be?), and in schools so long as you're not a student or staff.

Open carry is lawful most places. Some towns outlaw open carry, but they don't post signs at the border. If you open carry they tell you to put it away -- You get a warning, unless you're being a jerk.

Most rural areas -- which is 90% of Oregon -- open carry doesn't get a second look.

CCW in the schools is the big surprise.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Bit different here in Virginia. Can't carry in a school. Can't conceal in a restaraunt that serves alcohol (we don't have "bars" in Virginia) open cary is legal but they can ask you to leave. Can't conceal in a church during services, it's the law don't know why. Most businesses don't seem to care about concealed carry but they can post for no carry. Not all the laws just the highlights.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
NM is similar to VA, though I'm not sure on the church thing. I believe they are considered private property, which means the owner has to post to disallow CC on the premises. Absolutely no firearms of any kind on school grounds, including college campuses. No carrying into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. An amendment to our CC law to change this nearly made it to the Gov's desk this session, but fell just shy. I hope it'll make it next session and we'll be like Texas, where you can carry into a place that derives no more than XX% of its revenue from alcohol sales. So bars would still be off limits, but you could carry into a restaurant that sells beer and wine, as long as you don't consume.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Bit different here in Virginia. Can't carry in a school. Can't conceal in a restaraunt that serves alcohol (we don't have "bars" in Virginia) open cary is legal but they can ask you to leave. Can't conceal in a church during services, it's the law don't know why. Most businesses don't seem to care about concealed carry but they can post for no carry. Not all the laws just the highlights.

And Virginia is a must-issue state with regards to CCWs.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Pastor of my parent's church ASKED the congregation
several sundays in a row, "If you have a CCW permit please DO NOT leave your sidearm at home"

This being in the wake of the church shootings in Colorado last year.

Previously it simply had not been mentioned either pro or con

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
Oregon it's legal to carry ... in schools so long as you're not a student or staff.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh? That makes sense. Only strangers looking for a target rich environment!

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of those are legal in Kansas.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're legal to carry in a bar in Oregon. None of the "percentage of sales" crapola. You can carry in a bar. You just can't be under the influence -- which is 0.08%.

I don't understand the school logic. But that's the law. Locally students bring their rifles to school and leave them locked in the truck. Rural and they hunt before and after classes.

Churches are not "private property." They're a tax free religious organization, open to the public.

Property owners can request "no firearms" -- but it's not a firearms violation to ignore them. It's "civil contempt" . . . which is like getting a parking ticket.