Find
Notify
Tools

Deadly hug
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Very sad event. I'm at a bit of a loss to figure this one out unless it was a 1911 in a shoulder holster carried off safe. Any other ideas?

DETROIT (AP) - A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.

"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.

McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.

"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would have to assume he had a pistol in a sh that was too big/not made for model carried. To depress the trigger fully that pistol had to move a long way.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a few different versions to this one.

http://www.leoaffairs.com/blog...ehind-killing-woman/

Detroit Officer’s Gun Discharges In Holster After Being Hugged From Behind Killing Woman
July 8, 2012 By Mod 1 Leave a Comment
Adaisha Miller, 24, was accidentally shot and killed early Sunday morning

Adaisha Miller, 24, was accidentally shot and killed early Sunday morning

An early morning party at an off duty Detroit Police Officer’s home turned deadly. The officer was dancing with his wife, when 24 year old Adaisha Miller approached him from behind and hugged him. That’s when his department issued Smith and Wesson 40 caliber semiautomatic went off and struck Miller. The pistol was in a holster in the officer’s waistband and covered by his shirt. For up-to-date news accounts of this story, photos and to post a comment, please access the links below:

Detroit Police Department Message Board

07/08/2012 – Woman killed at party after off-duty Detroit police officer’s gun discharges

07/08/2012 – Off-duty Detroit police officer’s gun goes off, kills woman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-fires-hugs-him.html

The story keeps changing: Mother wants answers after police claim daughter died after giving officer a hug and triggering his gun

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 23:42 EST, 8 July 2012 | UPDATED: 08:59 EST, 9 July 2012

Adaisha Miller

Freak accident: Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday

The family of the woman who was fatally shot while out celebrating her upcoming 25th birthday are left with many unanswered questions while planning her funeral.

Adaisha Miller was killed after the gun in a police officer's holster unexpectedly went off while she hugged him at a party.

The married officer, who has not been named, claims that he did not know Ms Miller and that she turned up to a party at his house with a group of her friends.

The lawyer for the Detroit police department called the tragic incident 'a fluke accidental shooting'.

'They were having a party and the next thing, a woman is dead. He's devastated by what happened,' lawyer John Goldpaugh told The Detroit Free Press after having spent time with the officer in question.

While the police have said that Ms Miller hugged the officer from behind, her mother was told by friends that her daughter 'was being a little flirty' with the man and hugged him face-to-face.

The bullet punctured Ms Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

'For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back,'her mother Yolanda McNair told WDIV-TV.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...m.html#ixzz2097jrsxf

Let's see what is being written in a week or two.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very strange indeed some one had to pull the trigger.

Who knows I am all ways suspicions of so call accidental shooting when they strike people in vital areas

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In one account it was in a "waistband" holster, yet she was shot through the lung and heart. So was she 3 feet tall, or was he 9 ft tall? For some strange reason I think that we may not, or never will, be getting the real story.

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of info missing in that report !!
We need facts and that we won't get from the clueless media !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
In one account it was in a "waistband" holster, yet she was shot through the lung and heart. So was she 3 feet tall, or was he 9 ft tall? For some strange reason I think that we may not, or never will, be getting the real story.

+1

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see media "jumping on" this as a way to focus attention on concealed carry dangers. UNFORTUNATELY...as already pointed out, there's a LOT of information missing, but that hasn't stopped anyone from blasting out the "Story".
ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Maybe she was on her knees "hugging" him?

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...went-killed-her.html

Newest report is she was on her knees performing an exotic dance. According to this account she was "dancing to his rear, and touching his waist"

additionally "she was being a little flirty and hugged him face-to-face"

Girl had a degree in "massage therapy"....Isn't that the same thing as saying she was stripper?

So, lets put this all together, a 24 year old stripper was on here knees giving an exotic dance to a married cop when his gun went off (not that gun) ... his Smith M&P went off hitting the girl in the chest, killing her. It doesn't sound like the "happy ending" he was expecting.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
IF (& that's a BIG "if"...) there's an impartial & professional autopsy done & its findings not buried, I doubt the story so far will hold water.
I reckon we'd hear that the shot entered high & travelled in a downwards direction & that the victim had dust from the floor on her knees.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote